Mach 2 C-123B Provider

I've decided to build a 1/72 C-123B Provider based at Sparrevohn Alaska .

025.jpg

Sparrevohn was the site of a Ground Control Intercept (GCI) Station which was part of the DEW Line .

C-123BProviderAlaska1.jpg

I had been thinking about a 1/72 C-123J Provider version and even bought the Amodel 1/144 kit to see what the wing tip engine pods look like with the ski's and under fuselage/nose fairings .

144thC-123JProviderpic1.jpg

144thC-123JProviderpic2.jpg

However I don't have anything in the spares box that would suit a 1/72 version and I'm not sure if I could scratch build the engines and ski's .

C-123JProviderAlaska1.jpg

C-123JProviderAlaska2.jpg

Anyway I'll start on a 1/72 C-123B version and see how I go ; This will be my third Mach 2 C-123 build , I'm almost finished the first two after nearly three years .

I don't expect this build to take that long , I have worked out a lot of the issue's with the kit and should be able to overcome some of the fit problems a lot easier this time around ...I hope !

John .

Another interesting choice. Too bad there isn't another option for the C-123 although it sounds like it is one of the better kits offered by Mach 2.

Hi Aaronw ;

There's only about two main issue's with the Mach 2 C-123 kit .

The wheel well opening for the main gear wheels needs to be filed about 3mm wider and the cockpit floor sits too high and needs to sit lower .

The boxing for the main gear needs to be made slightly larger to accommadate the new 3mm wide opening . Everything else is just mostly filing and sanding .

Lot's of flash everywhere , so if your happy sitting at the bench for 3 or 4 evenings you can get all the parts cleaned up and ready for glueing and interior painting . Today I used some 80 grade sand paper and smoothed over the fuselage insides after grinding all the little lugs off . The same with the insides of the wings and tail and horizontal stabilizers . I used the Rotor Craft motor tool up in the garage to save showering my work area inside with plastic debrie and dust . I actually cleaned up three C-123 kits to save a bit of time .

001-52.jpg

I polished the canopy with some tooth paste the other day and then dipped it into some Future and it looks okay ;

004-19.jpg

I picked up a couple of resin engines from Engines and Things and they look really good

002-38.jpg

I'm only cutting open the rear ramp on this build and probably the other future builds ; The first two builds I cut open the side crew entry door as well as cutting the wing and stabilizer flaps to pose them in the lowered position . It was a lot more work than I expected , so I'm going to avoid all that messing around . I've also pulled the bottom of each fuselage half outwards to avoid the concave effect I had with the first builds .

So basiclly I'll do a lot more dry fitting and get parts to fit closer this time around so i can avoid multiple sessions of puttying as well.

The first two C-123 builds are nearing completion , finally ;

003-32.jpg

Tomorrow I'm going to re-mask and airbrush the yellow panels on the USCG HC-123B again and then mask for the black nose cone . It will be nice to have these two finally in the display cabinet ; With a big sigh of relief .

John .

It's only a small update but I got the main landing gear boxing fitted in place and I've airbrushed the fuselage interior pieces with some Gunze H-57 Aircraft Gray .

C-123B.jpg

I'll paint the cockpit seat cushions next and then fit the windows in place . Once that's done I can glue the cockpit and cabin floor into position and get ready to close up the fuselage .

Looking to make more progress over the weekend .

John