Hello everyone, this will be my build topic for my 1/144 Revell F-14D. I'm going to try building it as an in-flight model.

IMG_0102A-2.jpg

For the decals, I'm going to use Fightertown's 1/144 VF-103 sheet. I'm well aware that VF-103 flew F-14Bs instead of F-14Ds, but I couldn't find a 1/144 F-14B anywhere and I really wanted to do this scheme, so this build will be about completion instead of accuracy.

IMG_0104A-3.jpg

Reference book from my own collection, F-14 Tomcat published by Burindo. I bought this a very long time ago. Not a very good book for detailed walkaround photos (only 3 pages!), but it does have detailed histories of every F-14 squadron as well as 1/72 plans of the F-14A, B, and D.

IMG_0105A-3.jpg

Not much progress as of now except for the cockpit. I brush painted it in Gunze H317 Dark Gull Gray, and applied the decals for the IPs.

IMG_0106A-2.jpg

More to come later, thanks for looking.

Good Job on the cockpit! I wanted to add that if you can find a Dragon 1/144 kit they come with all 3 chin pods for A, B and D. Also they have really good weapons, bombs, and missiles etc. and the targeting pod that goes on the right side glove pylon. Keep up the good work!

Edited by 233monte

Sweet - I love this model!

In this scale, the only thing you need to switch the D to the B is the chin pod. I've probably got a few dozen spares laying around if you need one.

If you really want to fix a few things, Revell went overboard on the panel lines. Fill in the daily door panel line on the engine and fill in the second set of vents (aft) on the top.

@233monte: Thanks for the kind words! :)

@Brian: Thanks for the suggestions, I was wondering what Revell was thinking when I saw the two sets of vents. :wacko: Also, I really appreciate your offer to send a chin pod my way.

Just another thought: it looks like I can make a reasonable looking replica out of Evergreen, so I'm thinking of trying this first. If it works, you won't need to go through the trouble of mailing one tiny part. :)

Completed cockpit tub with resin pilots from another 1/144 kit. They had to have about half of their legs chopped off to fit in the tub (ouch!).

IMG_0107A-3.jpg

IMG_0108A-2.jpg

After joining the forward fuselage halves. I also filled and sanded off the old style gun vents so I can use the decals for the newer style later. Now that I'm looking at it, it looks as if the pilots might be a little on the small side, but they'll do the job of filling in the seats so that the plane can fly.

IMG_0110A-2.jpg

IMG_0112A-3.jpg

Some work on the upper fuselage, filling and sanding the extra pair of vents that Revell included with the part.

IMG_0113A-1.jpg

Some progress, this is what she looks like now after painting and decals. Painted with Tamiya rattle cans over a black base coat. During decaling I discovered that the black portion of paint that stretches from the fuselage to the nose is skewed towards the left side by less than a millimeter or so. I'm thinking of leaving it as it's not noticeable from more than a few inches away, but I'll see how things turn out.

IMG_0115A-2.jpg

IMG_0116A-2.jpg

IMG_0119A-3.jpg

Drilled out the hole for the in-flight stand.

IMG_0120A-2.jpg

AIM-54s and fuel tanks done. The Phoenixes in the Revell box were A models, I modified them to Cs by sanding off the little boxes on the bodies. I also drilled out and painted the exhausts on them.

I'm going to go with the "signature" F-14 load of 4 AIM-54s, 2 AIM-7s and 2 AIM-9s. Not sure if this particular bird ever carried it, but the Revell weapons are simply too gorgeous to pass up.

IMG_0121A-1.jpg

Remember when I said I couldn't find a F-14B in 1/144?

I guess I didn't look hard enough because I found this:

f-14b.jpg

Since ACE also has a F-14A and F-14D under the Revell brand, I'm not sure why Revell didn't choose to release this version. I didn't have a good look at the sprues as the only decent photo shows them still in the plastic bag, but I'm guessing that this boxing includes sprues from both the A and D versions, so you can make the B with the A's chin pod and the D's engines.

f-14b2.jpg

^ That's certainly interesting! :woot.gif:

Why didn't Revell release a B yet? Beats me! It took them years (a decade, almost) to follow-up their TF-104G with an F-104G. Almost as long to do the F/A-18D. And with the sprues laid out as they are, they probably had the moulds ready to do both from the get-go. They've only released the Rafale M so far, even though it looks like the sprues are arranged to do a B and C later as well. Probably some marketing thing.

Your model's looking great so far! :thumbsup:

^ That's certainly interesting! :woot.gif:

Why didn't Revell release a B yet? Beats me! It took them years (a decade, almost) to follow-up their TF-104G with an F-104G. Almost as long to do the F/A-18D. And with the sprues laid out as they are, they probably had the moulds ready to do both from the get-go. They've only released the Rafale M so far, even though it looks like the sprues are arranged to do a B and C later as well. Probably some marketing thing.

Your model's looking great so far! :thumbsup:

Cheers, mate. I hope Revell doesn't take too long to release the F/A-18F. I want to build one in VFA-103 markings so I can pose it alongside this F-14. :(

Almost finished, only the exhausts, weapons, chin pod and arrestor hook are left. The inflight stand is a spare accessory taken from my big box of everyday stuff.

IMG_0129A-3.jpg

IMG_0132A-3.jpg

IMG_0134A-3.jpg

IMG_0133A-4.jpg

IMG_0135A-3.jpg

Edited by White Wolf

Finished it!

IMG_0116B.jpg

For the chinpod, I made it out of 1.6mm styrene rod and filed it to shape using references. It doesn't catch the subtle curves of the real thing but it looks good enough for me.

It was a fun build of an awesome kit, and despite a few niggles here and there I'm really happy with how it turned out.

Some more pictures of the finished build before I'll post it up in the Display Case with better lighting.

IMG_0117A-2.jpg

IMG_0120A-3.jpg

IMG_0119A-4.jpg

IMG_0122A-2.jpg

IMG_0101A-2.jpg

IMG_0100A-2.jpg