I'm coming back to scale modeling after 11 years or so, but the fitting on this F-14 1:48 was a nightmare but mating and filing the surfaces was straight through. But scribing is just incredibly patience eating and frustrating.

Is there an easier way for this? please...please.

Hi, HeavyGee.

Let me say "wellcome" first.

You have posted your question in the "Archived Topics", and I guess few people will see it. Repost it in the section below

I suggest you to use the search feature on the forum and you will probably find an answer.

Besides, take a look to the Tools 'n' tips page on the ARC website: you will find lots of suggestions and this.

If I may add my opinion, I wouldn't bore with rescribing, if you are at a new begin. Just build for fun and practice again; more will come.

Regards

Euge

Not one of my favourite chores -indeed, that and canopy masking...*&$~@!!

There is only one good way out:

Find a method you are most comfortable with. If Modeller A swears by a needle in a pin-vice, Modeller B will hate it and require a special scribing tool whilst Modeller C has access to a laboratory with a suitable laser. Find the one YOU can handle best.

Go slow. VERY slow. Dreary, awkward jobs tempt you to rush them, and you WILL spend more time going back over mistakes than if you just took a while longer in the first place.

Really, this is the kind of activity that puts me in mind of Pirsig's 70's-trendy tome 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance', with its talk of 'gumption traps' and so-on.

(Guess all I did there was give away my age!)

One day, as an experiment, I'm going to build something on which I have sanded or filled everything on the surface, and draw the panel lines in after painting with the help of some good scale drawings and a 0.3mm Pentel!

^ Ditto. Proper tools, proper technique, practice and patience. I find that if I can get in a zen headspace where, I'm relaxed and happy, I almost enjoy it and it goes smoothly. If I'm not - if I'm irritated or forcing it, or just generally not "in a scribing mood" - it's a terrible chore that I'm fighting every inch of the way... and it usually shows.

Technique wise, I don't do anything special. A sewing needle or straight pin chucked in a pin vise to scribe. Dymo labelling tape laid along the panel lines to act as a guide and ensure straight lines; various scribing templates to do smaller panels (access hatches, hinges, round and oval panels, etc). Several light passes to define the line, and a few more, slightly heavier passes, to scribe it in. Gently wet sand the surface to remove any raised edges. Give the lines another pass with the needle to pull out any sanding debris. If needed, maybe another light sanding and pass with the needle. Then a *very* light, almost dry brushing with some lacquer thinner or liquid glue to melt any tiny little plastic fibres around the edges, leaving nice, crisp, sharp lines.

It helps to practice (or learn) on something with a lot of long, straight panel lines... and NOT a lot of short, curved lines. Access panels take almost as much time and effort to scribe a a straight line running the length of a fuselage, but the straight lines are simpler, and seem like a bigger accomplishment.