Trumpeter 1/350 Nimitz

I want to build Trumpy's Nitmitz depicting an era including Tomcats. What PE and detail sets are available for this kit? I don't want to scratch anything, just want to get it as close as possible with aftermarket decals and PE sets. Squadron is having a 15% off sale so I think I may be buying it this weekend.

Edited by Boomstick

I bought the Tom's model works PE sets for mine and one tip I also used was to get the older/cheaper Tamiya aircraft box to fill the lower deck with them. Can't comment on use as I have not started mine. I plan to build it for the period when they transitioned from F-4's to F-14's so i can change them out.

I bought the Tom's model works PE sets for mine and one tip I also used was to get the older/cheaper Tamiya aircraft box to fill the lower deck with them. Can't comment on use as I have not started mine. I plan to build it for the period when they transitioned from F-4's to F-14's so i can change them out.

Roger that. I'll check out the old Tamiya set for the hanger bay, good idea indeed.

The Nimitz's last Tomcat cruise was '97-'98, with VF-211. But the Trumpy kit is the Nimitz as-built, so you'd have to do a bit of research and scratchbuilding to bring it up to a late-'90s appearance. You said you don't want to do that, so your best bet would probably be one of her first Tomcat deployments, late-'70s ("The Final Countdown" era), since you can do that right out-of-the-box (with the addition of some Tomcats, since I think the kit comes with Phantoms, instead).

The Nimitz's last Tomcat cruise was '97-'98, with VF-211. But the Trumpy kit is the Nimitz as-built, so you'd have to do a bit of research and scratchbuilding to bring it up to a late-'90s appearance. You said you don't want to do that, so your best bet would probably be one of her first Tomcat deployments, late-'70s ("The Final Countdown" era), since you can do that right out-of-the-box (with the addition of some Tomcats, since I think the kit comes with Phantoms, instead).

That was a great movie. Yeah, it can be an earlier version with Tomcats. I like the early paint schemes anyway. Are the landing lights on the deck included in the kit and also, I didn't notice the shooter's glass dome on the deck either. Are these in aftermarket kits or will they have to be scratch built. If I have to do a little I think I can live with that.

Edited by Boomstick
  • 1 month later...

Hey all. I'm looking for the mobile deck crane and trucks from the Tamiya 1/350 enterprise kit. I decided to build an "as built" Nimitz but the kit parts are lacking. If anyone saved these parts from your Enterprise I'd be happy to buy them. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looking really nice, especially the hanger deck. Is it hard to do the lighting? I hope one day to tackle a 1/350 supercarrier and would love to try, but I have no experience with wiring and ligting a model.

Keep up the good work. I look forward to updates.

Denis

Looking really nice, especially the hanger deck. Is it hard to do the lighting? I hope one day to tackle a 1/350 supercarrier and would love to try, but I have no experience with wiring and ligting a model.

Keep up the good work. I look forward to updates.

Denis

Dennis,

Thanks for the comments. The lighting for carrier hangar decks is so easy a caveman can do it. My method, passed on by a master modeler on another site, uses LED light strips with either a battery pack or ac adapter. Here is a link to the products I used.

LED Hangar Lights

Dennis,

Thanks for the comments. The lighting for carrier hangar decks is so easy a caveman can do it. My method, passed on by a master modeler on another site, uses LED light strips with either a battery pack or ac adapter. Here is a link to the products I used.

LED Hangar Lights

James,

Thanks for the link, that does look simple! Do you know if they will work with 1/700 scale kits too?

Can't wait to see more of your awesome Nimitz.

Denis

• 1 month later...

Yep, i'm checking in- Thanks for submitting the update. Looking like clean work and sweet. Which PE are you using? I now have collected up enough Trump A/C sets to fill the deck. Just have to take the plunge sometime. Will you weather it as in photos? I have noticed over the years of seeing Carrier builds that they appear too fresh & clean. Like they say, the deck is a busy place. I know they have plenty of sailors cleaning, but that's what I see in the photos. Were you thinking of any particular action on deck, or just rows of parked A/C?

Yep, i'm checking in- Thanks for submitting the update. Looking like clean work and sweet. Which PE are you using? I now have collected up enough Trump A/C sets to fill the deck. Just have to take the plunge sometime. Will you weather it as in photos? I have noticed over the years of seeing Carrier builds that they appear too fresh & clean. Like they say, the deck is a busy place. I know they have plenty of sailors cleaning, but that's what I see in the photos. Were you thinking of any particular action on deck, or just rows of parked A/C?

I'm using a mix of White Ensign PE and Gold Medal Models. I haven't done any weathering at all to the ship but I do plan to do the usual mix of rust and grime that these big tubs accumulate on a deployment. No action will be depicted on deck. All aircraft will be static. I appreciate the kind words. Hope to get this thing finished and under glass someday. :woot.gif:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I like your progress and have you anymore updates for this build? I really like your weathering on the hull but I am thinking that if you are depicting a ship that has been at sea for a while will you tone down the deck markings to match the wear on the hull?I do have a plan for the deck lighting if your still require one for the Nimitz?

Cheers.