WiP - Roden 1:48 DH.9

Hello all,

I have recently joined the site so figured I might as well start posting :) Here is some progress on my current project, the 1:48 Roden DH-9, which I am building as a post-war Royal Australian Air Force "Imperial Gift" machine from the early 1920s.

First, the 230hp Siddeley Puma engine. Not much was added as the only area that will be able to be seen is the top of the cylinders. I also modified the exhaust pipe - RAAF aircraft had a distinctive "chimney stack" exhaust, which I made from cut brass hollow tube. The engine is very un-inspirational colour wise, but all of the period photos show the engine and exhaust in a uniform metalic colour.

DH901.jpgDH902.jpg

DH903.jpgDH904.jpg

DH905.jpg

(though I have since added some better cylinder head block side panels from thin foil to cover up the ugly rivits I had left...)

The fuselage halves suffer from sink marks on the inside surface, and sunken areas on the outer surface due to the plastic being removed from the mould while it was still warm. So I had filled the sink holes / sunken areas, and sanded it all smooth. I then re-built the internal structure (I will also have to restore the lost surface detail on the exterior at some point too).

DH906.jpg

DH907.jpg

I also made some minor additions to the upper decking. The decking part was rough and pebbly, and the panel lines were soft, so I sanded it all smooth and re-scribed the panels. The RAAF aircraft I intend to model was pictured without any armament and only one of the support rings for the Aldis sight, so this is how I modeled the decking. I also added the round object (storage container?) on the rear of the fuselage that was carried on some RAAF aircraft. Rivet detail was also added.

DH908.jpg

DH909.jpg

DH910.jpg

Next, the interior. Modifications included a new etched seat with putty seat cushion and Eduard belts, a modified floor, a mount for a camera (fictional as I had no reference pics) and other details. Luckily the cockpit of the DH-9 was quite sparse - these aircraft didn't even carry wireless sets post war, save for one or two experiments.

DH911.jpg

DH912.jpg

DH913.jpg

DH914.jpg

DH915.jpg

DH916.jpg

Due to the way Roden have structured the fuselage and the soft plastic, it "pinches" in at the top. Hence why I had to use some rods to space it back out to the correct width.

DH917.jpg

DH918.jpg

DH919.jpg

DH920.jpg

Now she is starting to look like a DH-9...

DH921.jpg

DH922.jpg

DH923.jpg

DH924.jpg

Some paint has now been applied. Painted up as A6-16 of the Royal Australian Air Force, based at Point Cook in Victoria, circa 1923. A typically drab and uninteresting paint scheme, which is hard to paint and still look mildly interesting!

DH927.jpg

DH928.jpg

DH926.jpg

DH925.jpg

DH929.jpg

DH930.jpg

Don't ask me how many times I broke the starboard lower wing off painting and masking. The joint is very weak and doesn't stand up to too much handling. Ended up bracing it with some fuse wire but it's still flimsy...

So that's where she is now - next is the dreaded upper wing... wish me luck!

All feedback welcomed :)

BC

• 3 weeks later...