MiG-21 SMT (Eduard) 1/144

Hi all,

I'm new here, so this is my first post. Let me introduce my latest work, the tiny little MiG-21 SMT produced by Eduard.

It was a real fun to build, and a nice challenge to paint. I followed the original camo, but modified the colors a bit.

DSC_0704.jpg

DSC_0705.jpg

DSC_0709.jpg

DSC_0710.jpg

DSC_0712.jpg

DSC_0713.jpg

DSC_0717.jpg

DSC_0718.jpg

DSC_0720.jpg

I hope you like it!

All the comments are welcome!

Congratulations ÃÂron.

A very nice kit and I like the colours, they are just right! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

It is sad to see that Eduard has repeated the mistake of the 48th scale kit by adding the underwing stars in a smaller size. It is possible that there were a few examples painted like this by “revolutionary dissident†technicians but the Russian or CCCP standard called for the same size stars on the underside too. Maybe with the 72nd scale kit at least they will give an optional bigger pair of stars for the underside too. There is enough space on that decal sheet.

What will be your next MiG?

Best regards

Gabor

Hi Gabor!

Thanks for your kind words! I follow your incredible correcting mission on Eduards 1/48 kit. We get used to correct Eduards more or less crucial mistakes but you made a perfect research in this subject.

Now I made this just for fun, OOTB. The small stars are realy strange, but on the other hand they are a unique detail on this unusual subtype of the 21.

My next Mini Mig will be a bis, with some Indian markings of the 3rd "Cobra" squad (I would like to paint the black tail with the yellow lightnings, but it depends on the decal supply)

It is sad to see that Eduard has repeated the mistake of the 48th scale kit by adding the underwing stars in a smaller size. It is possible that there were a few examples painted like this by “revolutionary dissident” technicians but the Russian or CCCP standard called for the same size stars on the underside too.

Smaller stars were not so unique, especially in 16VA in GDR.

Some well known pics.of MiG-21R:

My link

My link

My link

Smaller star on the tail of a camouflaged SMT at Altenburg in 1979:

803394738_smt_Altenburg_1979_82_122_422lo.jpg

My link

One of the first camouflaged MiG-21SM's at Neuruppin, with smaller 'tail-star' too:

803663170_sm_Neuruppin_1977_78_3_122_425lo.jpg

My link

Most of the camouflaged MiG-21bis's at Damgarten wore smaller stars underwing and on the tail etc...

Edited by RobertS

Robert Sz

Those are some nice MiG-21R photos. But they are not MiG-21 SMT as far as I can see.

Small stars did exist on some aircraft and there was no question about it, but they were exceptions. There is place on the decal sheet so an option could be provided with uniform stars and you could make up your own mind as to which to use.

As to the authenticity of the Eduard decals and the amount of research that goes into it I would kindly recommend a look at the Hungarian Air Force national marking chevron in the MiG-21 bis Propifac and the Weekend edition in 48th as well as the 144 scale MiG-21 bis duo pack. The national markings are of a wrong size, shape, proportions and lack the white outline, the board number is too big. There are problems with the Finnish AF markings too. So if I had to chose I would not trust the instruction sheet or the decals of Eduard.

All this those not take away anything from the superbly built kit by Archy! I look forward to your MiG-21 bis kit.

Best regards

Gabor

P.s. Yeee, it was nice to meet you at the Russian base where they had the SMT's on that photo session all those decades ago . . . or where you still at the kinder-garden then???

> Gabor Sz,

Those are some nice MiG-21R photos. But they are not MiG-21 SMT as far as I can see.

As far as I know there were no different standard for the underwing stars -21R vs -21SMT(?) furthermore they were in production at the same factory, both in parallel in a short period.

Those MiG-21R photos are about 50% of the available public photos of frontline VVS MiG-21s from the '70s, with visible 'underwing-star'. And as far as I can see those stars are all the smaller version under the wing....

The other two uploaded photos are about 50% of the available public photos of camouflaged 16VA MiG-21's - 1x SM & 1x SMT. Both had smaller stars on their tails.

You are talking about the Soviet standard >

the Russian or CCCP standard called for the same size stars on the underside too.

I uploaded some 'in-service' photos which contradict to that standard.

Where is the problem?

Everyone can draw his own conclusion, and use these data to bulid their models by their taste...

One more operational photo of SMT from the 66.apib. with smaller star on the tail:

7.jpg

My link

All this those not take away anything from the superbly built kit by Archy!

Of course I agree.

or where you still at the kinder-garden then???

???

The real Gentleman's style...no comment.

I hope, it is not you, just a bad day in the office...

Dear Robert Sz.

It is always amusing to hear from you. I don’t consider Gentlemen’s approach of copying other peoples photographs and publishing them as your own with the “Copyright RobertS†logo on it.

Fortunately copyright infringement is now considered to be against the law in most countries (including Germany and Hungary too) and you can receive a very nice sentence from the courts for such behavior!

I think you are still in the kinder garden playing your games . . .

But all this has nothing to do with the masterful MiG-21 kit above, so I think we should leave it as it is and concentrate on model building.

Best regards

Gabor

OK guys, thank you for the useful informations about big and small red stars!

Hi Archy,

Looking forward to your MiG-21 bis. Work is on for my bis in Hungarian colours, only need to print decals for it. It is a sidetrack from my 48th one but still lots of fun. A very quick build. Have a look at Giovannis 144th bis too. A very nice diorama.

Best regards

Gabor

Have a look at Giovannis 144th bis too. A very nice diorama.

Still checked! Great work, and very nice PE details.

Hey Levi,

Thanks for the little star photo, looks interesting.

Poén, hogy az első topicomra itt kapásból 2 magyar ír :D

• 2 weeks later...