F-16 markings...couple of questions...

Hope someone can help.

I know that the tailcodes are 18", the serial nos are 12" and the "AF XX" is 5".

What size are the "AFRC" markings on the rear fuselage?

Are the ANG/FS/FW etc markings also 12"?

And what size are the wing/squadron badges?

Many thanks for all your help!

Chris

Hope someone can help.

I know that the tailcodes are 18", the serial nos are 12" and the "AF XX" is 5".

What size are the "AFRC" markings on the rear fuselage?

Are the ANG/FS/FW etc markings also 12"?

And what size are the wing/squadron badges?

Many thanks for all your help!

Chris

Hi Chris,

Unit badge sizes were somewhat standardized across various units before the advent of computerized vinyl cutters; but the introduction of these systems in the last 15-20 years changed things a lot. Nowadays every unit can decide on a different badge size and easily cut a vinyl mask of any size in the paint shop; so it is difficult to talk about standard sizes for these badges. Your best bet is to analyze photos and take measurements from there. When I design my decal sheets, I analyze multiple photos and measure the sizes of individual markings using software designed for this purpose.

In most cases the wing/squadron name seem to be painted using the same masks as the last-3 digits of the serial number. Again, though, the availability of computerized cutters make it difficult to generalize. I've seen many cases where they decided to add drop shadows to the unit name on the tail; but maintain the same overall height as the serial numbers painted on other aircraft. It's a good idea to take measurements in every individual case.

And what about the "AFRES" in this case - it appears to be smaller than the normal serials?

Thanks (by the way) Kursad!

Chris

The photo is not a direct side view, but after some quick adjustments I am pretty sure the "AFRES" is 6" high. That's the size I would have used if I were drawing decal artwork for it.

f16tail.jpg

Edited by KursadA

The photo is not a direct side view, but after some quick adjustments I am pretty sure the "AFRES" is 6" high. That's the size I would have used if I were drawing decal artwork for it.

f16tail.jpg

When I design my decal sheets, I analyze multiple photos and measure the sizes of individual markings using software designed for this purpose.

Kursad, I'd like to learn more about how this is done, ie, how & what software is used to measure the size of lettering on aircraft (based on just pictures) and how this can be translated into...say 1/32, 1/48 scale decals. If you could indulge inquiring minds, I'd be most appreciative :)

I recently read a book about police forensics using Photoshop and it's amazing what those detectives can pick up & analyze just from photographs.

Vector drawing programs (like Adobe Illustrator) have a measuring tool in them. It's a simple matter of importing the photo, scaling it to a known scale, and measuring what you see. As in this case, if I measured a fairly fuzzy photo and came out with 5.9 scale inches, I'd figure the real thing was 6" high.

Kursad, I'd like to learn more about how this is done, ie, how & what software is used to measure the size of lettering on aircraft (based on just pictures) and how this can be translated into...say 1/32, 1/48 scale decals. If you could indulge inquiring minds, I'd be most appreciative :)

I recently read a book about police forensics using Photoshop and it's amazing what those detectives can pick up & analyze just from photographs.

Most of the time, I use the features of my vector illustration software to straighten the image; and use its built-in measuring functionality. I also make use of other software that make it easy to identify a known dimension on an image; and automatically calibrate the measurement tool so I can measure any object in a given photo. I typically identify a marking of known dimensions (i.e. the 12" serial numbers on the F-16 image above) or a particular panel or structural feature; and use the tool to measure the dimensions of anything else that I am interested in. Many times, I have the target kit at hand so I can take measurements of panels, etc. with a ruler or digital caliper.