1/24 Revell #3 Monte Carlo NASCAR

It's finally finished. The model itself came out good, the decals were a total disaster. They

were old, silvered, wrinkley, just plain junk! After I put the first one on I should have known

to get a set of aftermarket decals, oh well.---John

BGNMonteCarlo33.jpg

BGNMonteCarlo34.jpg

BGNMonteCarlo32.jpg

Edited by john53
  • 2 weeks later...

I tried the Testors in the little square bottle. Usually does

the trick, these were just plain old and thick with lots of

brown residue. ICK!!!!---John

Not bad at all. Have you tried some Micro Sol on the decals? It might smooth out the wrinkling.

Nice to see it finished John :cheers:

Little "hopefully" knowledge on the solutions and dealings seen with the decals.

The problems seen under the decals, might have been prevented. It is not so much the thickness of the decals.

It is the glue and surface prep under the decals. They are not really sticking to the surface completely.

Micro set "Blue" Is used on the surface where the decal will be sitting on the model. It softens the decal/glue a little and cleans the surface. Lets not forget even water and the decal itself have impurities that can get under the decals. Pretty much after using Micro set "Blue" there should be no air or impurities left under the decals. there should be no discoloration under the decals.

Micro Sol "Red" is the last solution used and the decal pretty much cannot be worked when using it. Pretty much Micro sol eats the decal, think of it like an acid eating the decal making it thinner so it settles around surfaces and sinking into Edges.

John,,,,

I am not to sure how much experience you have with decals so not even sure you should try on this model since it is not like you can go to the store and buy another.

Tho if you did not seal the decals with a clear etc. Micro set might still work, if the decal is not adhered to the surface Micro set should still find its way under the decal and work the air/impurities out.

Could try with a smaller decal somewhere on the model and see what happens, it should work.

Tho it takes experience to get it done and knowing how far one can push things to the edge.