Converting an F-105F to a -G

Haven't been able to find any aftermarket decals for a 1/72 -F model Thud, so I'm considering converting it to a -G which I already have decals for.

From what I can tell, the only real difference is the two AN/ALQ-105 ECM pods on each side of the belly and the four triangle antenna around the nose. I'm working with the old Monogram 5438 kit. Am I missing anything else?

I'd also been researching getting the 1/48 -D model corrected and understand that the gun gas vents on both sides of the nose should be filled in, and the wing braces removed from top and bottom. Would these have been present on an -F or a -G that was converted from an -F (Wild Weasel III)? Unfortunately I already removed them from the wings, as well as the wingtip "stuff" like I did for the -D model, and now I think I realize that stuff needs to be present on an -F or -G.

And, one last ?, the "bracing" on the fuselage just in front of the horiz. stabilators, who had 'em and who didn't? Thought I read that they should be removed for a -D based on a certain date? Anyone have clarification on that?

Edited by blunce

Keep in mind that the vast majority of F's were simply proficiency trainers flown by regular B/D units, and that most carried exactly the same markings, save for the serial number, as the B/Ds in the parent unit. That's why you can't find decals specifically for an F most likely.

Haven't been able to find any aftermarket decals for a 1/72 -F model Thud, so I'm considering converting it to a -G which I already have decals for.

From what I can tell, the only real difference is the two AN/ALQ-105 ECM pods on each side of the belly and the four triangle antenna around the nose. I'm working with the old Monogram 5438 kit. Am I missing anything else?

I'd also been researching getting the 1/48 -D model corrected and understand that the gun gas vents on both sides of the nose should be filled in, and the wing braces removed from top and bottom. Would these have been present on an -F or a -G that was converted from an -F (Wild Weasel III)? Unfortunately I already removed them from the wings, as well as the wingtip "stuff" like I did for the -D model, and now I think I realize that stuff needs to be present on an -F or -G.

And, one last ?, the "bracing" on the fuselage just in front of the horiz. stabilators, who had 'em and who didn't? Thought I read that they should be removed for a -D based on a certain date? Anyone have clarification on that?

Also on the G, the wingtip nav lights were replaced with RHAW antennas, and the nav lights moved to little protuberances added on at the front of the wing tip. Revell/Monogram got it right for their F-105G, and to change the G model to an F the protuberances need to be removed and the RHAW antennas changed back to the nav lights.

Here's a G-model wingtip (they painted camouflage over the RHAW antenna on this display jet, but the antennas should be black):

http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/bill_spidle3/f-105g_62-4427/images/f-105g_62-4427_30_of_39.jpg

This AF Museum example is more accurately painted:

http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/bill_spidle2/f-105g_63-8320/images/f-105g_63-8320_14_of_28.jpg

Here's the standard D or F wingtip:

http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/bill_spidle3/f-105f_63-8343/images/f-105f_63-8343_015_of_184.jpg

http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/bill_spidle3/f-105d_60-5385/images/f-105d_60-5385_114_of_248.jpg

Wolfpak Decals Check here has decals for an F-105G without the side blisters on sheet 72-045 and 72-031 has the F-105F that Thorsness flew on his Medal of Honor mission. They also had an F-105G without the pods on 72-009, but that shows as sold out.

Deke