Finnish Brewster Model 239

I'm going to start #2 here, if the mod's allow it. I have a partially completed Tamiya Brewster F2A-2 Buffalo which has been languishing for years and years. I recently purchased an Areomaster F2A-1/model 239 conversion kit and decals for Finnish Air Force Model 239 Brewsters, as well as a True Details Model 239 interior. So, the plan is to strip the completed wing of Pre-war Navy colors, un-build the fuselage, graft in the Areomaster conversion and True Details kit, re scribe, and finish (Finnish) it off as an Axis Brewster 239.

Here's what she looks like now...

IMG_0835.jpg

Edited by I-16

Hi I-16 ;

It's quite an impressive project to re-build an old kit with lot's on new mods .

Good luck and I look forward to the WIP pic's

Kind regards ,

John .

That yellow wing was begging to be stripped! Back when I got my airbrush, I would abide by the one-extremely-heavy-coat philosophy. Panel lines? What panel lines? Anyway, paints off with some Easyoff oven cleaner in a Ziplock bag, and then a bit of scrubbing with a Brillo pad. Sounds like a commercial for kitchen products.

I cut off the forward fuselage, taped everything together, and realized I cut off a hair to much of the forward fuselage. Made up the difference with plasticard. Removed interior detail, and started installing the True Details set. So far the fit is good, and has a nice level of detail.

IMG_0837.jpg

IMG_0838.jpg

Now she's looking a little more Brewster-like, again.

Looking good, quite a nose job you had to perform.

I like the Buffalo and always feel bad for it getting such an awful reputation. At least it got a chance to redeem itself with the Finns.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the True Details interior in. It fit fairly well, with little fiddling. I made up an RDF loop out of Evergreen strip, and an armor headrest out of plastic card. The nose is now attached, and fit to the wing section, which was some what of a pain. I needed to shim the fuselage halves out a bit to fit the resin nose, as well as the plastic spacers needed from my overzealous sawing. Next step is to finish painting the interior, and get the wings on.

2392.jpg

2393.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Deadlines approaching, and I hope I can squeak under the wire. Finish is on, I used Model Master and Tamiya paints, and overcoated with Future. As usual, I used my trusty Pasche single action because I'm to chicken to use my dual action. Masking was silly putty. Starting to decal tonight, and do the canopy framing.

IMG_0867.jpg

IMG_0865.jpg

It actually looks kind of dangerous with that camo. I think it downplays the slightly egg shape of the Buffalo.

It usually takes a few days to a few weeks for the GB forums to get shut down and moved. If you don't quite meet the deadline feel free to keep at it until we get moved to the completed GB section.

That was the funny thing about the 239. In the hands of the Finns, it was very dangerous. They achieved a kill ratio of 26:1 over the Soviets during the continuation war, and then turned them against Germans in 1944. The 239 was used in a training role until 1948. The 239/ F2A1 was probably the best looking of the line with a longer tapering cowl. The F2A2 was pretty stumpy looking, although was the best performer, and fared pretty well in the hands of the Brits and Dutch against the Japanese. The F2A3 was a dog, and unfortunatly represented the type in history books.

Almost done with her, decals are on, gear on, need to install the prop and mask (gasp) the canopy frames.

IMG_0874.jpg

IMG_0876.jpg