Hi guys Im a new member and returning to modelling after a break of some years. Recently aquired a 1/72 blinder and want to acurize and upgrade the kit. Does anyone know where I can get hold of 1/72 accurate plans and any aftermarket decals or resin too ? Cheers

Hello, and welcome to the forums.

Regarding plans, this is the site you need:

http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw_an.html

You will find the drawings under the "Туполев Ту-22" links. When it comes to decals, Authentic Decals makes them for Blinder, and Backfire. No idea about resin, can't think of any, but i am sure someone makes PE.

I didn't even know that this kit was salvageable. I have a nearly completed one (even painted and decalled) sitting out in my garage slowly falling to pieces, that I gave up on in disgust when I realised how inaccurate it was. Maybe I'll retrieve it and rework it. Maybe.

Regards,

Jason

My suggestion is: don't. The kit has some fairly substantial issues with its overall shape, and the more you dig, the more you'll find. It looks cool (if flawed) when built out of the box, so I'd suggest you go that route, particularly if you're just returning to modelling. And I say this as someone who's sput in a ton of time accurizing a Backfire, which is similarly flawed.

Aftermarket. There are no decals that I'm aware of. Authentic Decals have announced a set, but nothing has been released (and it's been a few years). A small, Eastern European company named L&M Resin do a few fuselage update/conversion sets: a fuselage plug to lengthen the fuselage (one problem is, the kit is too short), and a few replacement nose cones to depict various subtypes. They also have an insert that will let you do the trainer version. Mostly sold through an eBay storefront, from what I can tell; none are listed now, but they pop up every few weeks. A couple of small, Russian companies (such as Elf) have done wheel sets over the years, but they're OOP and will be hard to find. And NeOmega have a set of KT-1M seats from their Tu-22M cockpit set which are pretty similar to those used on the Blinder, and would add some nice detail there if you want to have the seats lowered.

Many thanks forthe replies guys. Wow what service! Already downloaded plans and had a quick look. Some of the kit will have to be accepted but quite a bit can be altered and improved. Letb you know how I get on (maybe) Cheers, Alan

Many thanks forthe replies guys. Wow what service! Already downloaded plans and had a quick look. Some of the kit will have to be accepted but quite a bit can be altered and improved. Letb you know how I get on (maybe) Cheers, Alan

Do let us know, Alan, and welcome to the site!

Best Regards,

Jason

It looks cool (if flawed) when built out of the box, so I'd suggest you go that route, particularly if you're just returning to modelling.

Welcome prophead, look forward to seeing your work.

I must agree with MoFo, building it out the box is challenge enough and will take a wheen of filler.

Looks good once it`s done though.

Cheers, Ian

Welcome prophead, look forward to seeing your work.

I must agree with MoFo, building it out the box is challenge enough and will take a wheen of filler.

Looks good once it`s done though.

Cheers, Ian

Thanks for the welcome

• 3 weeks later...

The L M ejection seats look like the ones in the Tu-22. I would use those. The NeOmega KT-1 seats are for the completely different Tu-22M series of aircraft. The K-22 seat in the original Tu-22 had little to do with the KT-1 seats of the Tu-22M aircraft.

Best regards

Gabor

• 5 years later...

I got one off evilbay that was partially built, my target audience don't even know what it is let alone if it's accurate. I did buy the resin kit that includes the fuselage spacer, stabs, nose, and bang seats, not sure how far I will take it with these parts, it just has to look like an Iraqi TU-22 to make the cut. I have an Iraqi friend researching the actual colors for the 2-tone camo.

V/r

Ron

Edited by bashace
  • 6 months later...
  • 11 months later...