About early Soviet ejection seats

Did these 3 aircraft used variants of the same ejection seat or are they 3 different kinds of ejection seats? I just received my MiG-19 and I'll purchase a MiG-17 in some time, the MiG-19 needs a replacement seat for sure, maybe I'll be able to scratch it using my HobbyBoss MiG-15 as a base. I think MiG-15's seat is called KK-1, what about the other seats? In case they're different seats. Thanks a lot in advance. Best regards.

José.

Did these 3 aircraft used variants of the same ejection seat or are they 3 different kinds of ejection seats? I just received my MiG-19 and I'll purchase a MiG-17 in some time, the MiG-19 needs a replacement seat for sure, maybe I'll be able to scratch it using my HobbyBoss MiG-15 as a base. I think MiG-15's seat is called KK-1, what about the other seats? In case they're different seats. Thanks a lot in advance. Best regards.

José.

This might help: http://www.ejectionsite.com/vbar_sg.htm

Good luck.

--

Joe Vincent

IPMS*Memphis

José.

Hi Zero Enna,

They stem from the same origin (WW2 German seats) but they are all different. It is as if you say there is a K-36 seat in that particular aircraft and the other one too. In fact there are numerous and very different looking versions of the K-36. The basic design of the seat is the same: two main spars in the back with rollers, seat pan and a firing gun. Apart form this they were different. In each of the types: MiG-15, MiG-15 bis and UTI MiG-15 the seat was different. The MiG-17 (mainly the later types) had a new seat with a big headrest and the MiG-19 once again a new seat that has found its way into the first production batch of MiG-21’s too. There are some scale seats on the market but they are hibrids, a bit from each version. . .

As to the name of the seat the KK-1 or KK-2 name was born in the mind's of some modelers, it has no historic relevance, it was never used on any of these seat in any form what so ever. All T.O. manuals, MiG documentation refer to it simply as the “ejection seatâ€Â. When the first one was introduced in the MiG’s they did not give any name or designation just called it the ejection seat. With the new headbox on the MiG-17 seat a new designation came: “Curtain type†referring to the “face curtain†in Western terminology. The seat for the MiG-19 did not have any new designation but it was a modified version both in its looks and its manufacturing technology.

Hi Hundriver,

Sorry, but seat show on the ejection site under the MiG-17 designation is not from this type. I have seen this version somewhere in a Russian manual for a bomber, it is not a fighter seat. I have written to the site but they still state that it is from the MiG-17. After all they are American and know everything best about Russian aircraft! :coolio: They don’t have to believe me, but still can go out to US airshows and have a look at the real MiG-17 ejection seat, since there are a few of them flying in the States.

There is an Italian site with some good photo material on ejection seats, you should have a look there.

Best regards

Gabor

Good to know more info about the seats, thanks a lot. I'll try to make somethig with the info I gathered. BTW, are there pics of complete MiG-19 cockpit? The only ones I found have everything removed (seat, sight, instrument panel). Best regards.

José.

That would be the KK-2 used on late MiG-17s and MiG-19s

Sorry Otto, there is no such designation as KK-2!!!

It is as if I would say for a "ACES II" seat that its real name is "US Seat II" only because I dont know its original name/designation! I am sure there would be an uproar in the US for that.

The Russian designation for the seat on the eBay was "Шторочное" that is "Curtain" in Russian, refering to the face curtain. No other designation was ever given to it by either the designing office MiG OKB, the manufacturing plants nore the Air Force.

It is a seat from production for the MiG-17 series of aircraft (main production batch, there were always overlaps and some could have been used on the MiG-19's but that would have been the exception). As said above the MiG-19 seat differed in many visible ways as well as its manufacturing technology.

Best regards

Gabor

Interesting info Gabor.

How about the KM-1, KS-4, KT-1 designations etc ????

Are they correct???

And... do they stand for 'Katapultnaya' (sorry for my Russian) - followed by the aircraft manufacturer ??

With M for MiG, S for Sukhoi, T for Tupolev etc ???

Intrigued....

Ken

Interesting info Gabor.

How about the KM-1, KS-4, KT-1 designations etc ????

Are they correct???

And... do they stand for 'Katapultnaya' (sorry for my Russian) - followed by the aircraft manufacturer ??

With M for MiG, S for Sukhoi, T for Tupolev etc ???

Intrigued....

Ken

Hi Ken,

This is correct. I heard from the Russians "Kreslo Mikojana", "Kreslo Suhogo" expression for the KM or the SK. The Suhoj seats is an interesting research subject with little public information just as the Jakovlev seats.

But one other name that has been around for some time and once again is not true is the SK-1 designation. This MiG OKB ejection seat was designated SK, there was no number after it. Even thought the SK in the MiG-21F-13 or Type 74 and the ones in MiG-21PF (Type 76) also differed just as well as the SK seats in the MiG-21U twoseat version. The SK designation, just as the “ejection seat†or the “curtain†designations for the seats was very general and each included several types with considerable differences.

The basic design of the MiG-15 seat was used on almost all other aircraft of the era, like the ones in Tu-28, L-29 . . . In each case they only had the basic structural commonality but each was different and adapted to the particular aircraft type.

Thanks for the photos I will get them tomorrow.

Best regards

Gabor

Very useful info about seats indeed... I'll build my own seats based on my HobbyBoss MiG-15 seat's dimmensions. I have in my stash a MiG-23, a MiG 27 (both Academy) and will add Zvezda's MiG-21bis. Now, I want to build the MiG-21bis as it is, but the MiG-23 (I think it depicts a MiG-23MF) will be converted into a MiG-23MLD, and the MiG-27 will be converted into a MiG-27M. I also have ICM's MiG-25PD, all of these use the "KM-1" seat, right? I just ordered a Su-17M-3, I want to build a Libyan Su-22 so lotta work needed (as we know it used a different engine than Russian Su-17, same as Peruvian Su-22. I'm Peruvian, but I don't like to build Peruvian stuff)... I think I'll get some more K-36 seats (I'd need 8, 3 for MiG-29/31, and 5 for Su-22/27/30/33), but I also think some of these need the "early" headrest... Need to gather more info about that. Thanks a lot for the info. Best regards.

José.

Hi José,

All the MiG-21 (from PFM on), MiG-23, MiG-27 and MiG-25 used the KM-1 seats. But early examples like the 21PFM, some S, R, used the early KM-1 seat while later on they had the KM-1M. The same goes for the MiG-23 and the MiG-25.

The question of the K-36DM (big headrest and IPS72) and K-36DM Seria2 (small headbox) is more complex. I know for sure that our Su-22M3's had the first version, but some M4's have the big head (Russians stationed in Hungary), while others (like the Czech or GDR examples as well as some Russian AF) the small one. I have little knowledge of the Peruvian aicraft, you should have a look at reference photos or go to a museum for a look. I would be glad to have that information for my files. As to the Lybian examples I havent had a look at this question. The engine choice in itself does not determine the type of seat installed.

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor

Gabor,

Thanks again for the info concerning the seat.

I think that almost no one had the idea about the names and styles. :D

This helps a lot to make accurate seats and don't rely on the aftermarket seats that companies make.

Michel