"Breaking the Sound Barrier":

Everyone builds "Glamorous Glennis", in contrast, the NACA operated X-1-2, tail number 46-063. On 10 March 1948, NACA pilot Herb Hoover (not Lt. Robert Hoover) became the first civilian to break the sound barrier, but you never read that in the history books. This model will commemorate his flight.

The beginning...

IMG_0818.jpg

IMG_0819.jpg

Edited by SteveV22FE

I look at that picture of the pilot in there, and my first thought was, "Man, Chuck, you really didn't have much space in there, did you..."

Added one of the most common item left off of models depicting X-1-2. The two inlet scoops on the aft fuselage.

The real aircraft:

tail.jpg

The model:

IMG_0857.jpg

The inlet scoops were extras in a Panda 1/35 UH-1N kit. (UH-1N don't have these scoops). They fit the bill perfectly!

I guess this model was never intended to have it's gear retracted! In this case, the doors were too small. Added styrene to fill the gaps.

IMG_0853.jpg

Wings on!

IMG_0858.jpg

Doing the white X-1 then? Excellent? I've thought about doing something similar with the Pegasus 1/18 X-1, just to be different. But admittedly I think I would have a much more fun time with the 1/32 kit given it feels more like a model than an oversized toy (with the hinges on the landing gear doors).

Lovely build Steve! I really like it. I'm going to build mine as 'Glamorous Glennis' though. Tell me, how did you deal with the dramatically undersized rocket exhaust pipes? Mine just kind of rattle around out the back, with quite a large gap all the way around them when centered in the fuselage. That problem has stalled my build for a couple of years now. I've never seen anyone else complain about this, including yourself in your build here. Perhaps I have a dud?

Kev

Lovely build Steve! I really like it. I'm going to build mine as 'Glamorous Glennis' though. Tell me, how did you deal with the dramatically undersized rocket exhaust pipes? Mine just kind of rattle around out the back, with quite a large gap all the way around them when centered in the fuselage. That problem has stalled my build for a couple of years now. I've never seen anyone else complain about this, including yourself in your build here. Perhaps I have a dud?

Kev

Thanks Kev!

To be quite honest, I just decided to live with it. I did notice that Revell did mold one of the mount pins way too long, so it was cut to fit. I super glued the rocket motor in place and went on.

I guess if you wanted to remedy the issue you could take some styrene and run it along the outside of the aft end of the rocket motor to get a tight fit when you closed up the fuselage.

Edited by SteveV22FE

Thanks for the info Steve. I had several attempts at fixing the issue, including scratch-building a new pipe assembly, but nothing worked to my satisfaction, so I gave up. I should drag it out again and see what I can do. Thanks for the inspiration!

Kev

Great looking build!

I just picked this kit up and was happy to see the NACA decals included but I am a little torn as to what scheme to do. The Yeager flight is so mythic that is hard not to go with that option but the NACA aircraft is very attractive and represents the continuation of the program beyond the first Mach Busting flight. Like I said I am torn.....

The Revell kit is really quite nice. I was surprised by how pleased I was with it.

Zach