So Oregon doesn't have any of these stores at all. But in a few weeks I will be going to Boise Idaho. There happens to be a Hobby Lobby there. Is the model selection decent or is it more akin to say a Micheal's craft store? I am asking because they always have crazy 40% coupons. I see on their online store that the selection is ok, do the stores usually carry more then the website?

They still have way better paint and building supplies then Michaels. They have a good collection of model master paints and testors. Sanding supplies, blades, brushes. The models are mostly cars and 1/48 scale aircraft. They usually have a few armor subjects also. I'm usually I'm my hobby Lobby every couple of weeks buying something for some project.

I say better than Michaels, but not as good as a couple years ago. I was just there yesterday and saw this and more.

1/48:

Tamiya A-10

Rev B-29

Rev B-17

Rev A-6E

Rev F-80

Rev F-84G

Rev F-4C

Rev F-14

Rev F-18E

Rev F-106

Aca F-16C

Aca F-86

1/144

Rev of Germ C-17

1/72

Rev SR-71

1/35

Tamiya M-60A1

Aca M1A1 2003

Thanks for the tips guys. I will probably still go just to check it out. Heck with the 40% off coupon I might pick up a Revell 1/48 Intruder if the have it. Also thanks for pointing out the Hobbytown John. I always seem to forget about them. I will also have to take in the Warhawk Museum while I am there.

I say better than Michaels, but not as good as a couple years ago. I was just there yesterday and saw this and more.

1/48:

Tamiya A-10

Rev B-29

Rev B-17

Rev A-6E

Rev F-80

Rev F-84G

Rev F-4C

Rev F-14

Rev F-18E

Rev F-106

Aca F-16C

Aca F-86

1/144

Rev of Germ C-17

1/72

Rev SR-71

1/35

Tamiya M-60A1

Aca M1A1 2003

It's pretty much the same at every one. The ones here in Houston have the exact same kits.

They used to have a good it of tamiya and even AM kits. Plus they only keep one kit on hand (of each kit) so if it sells on monday, you have to wait till next week for it to be there.

I don't buy kits there any more (I have the ones they stock). However, it's a great place for supplies. Most of my tools have come from there (knives/blades, various precision and locking tweezers, flex-i-file, touch-n-flow, sprue cutter, saws, sanding sticks, pin vise, files etc.).

I also use MM Acryl paint, and they carry the basic colors so for the most part I don't have to mail-order paint (no local hobby store). They also have the various other Testors paint and supplies like thinner, cleaner, glues (tube, liquid, and clear parts cement).

Plus, they have things like paint brushes, micro-brushes, pastels for weathering, and blue-tak/plastitak. In the drafting section, there are cutting mats, compasses, lead holders (great for holding landing gear for painting).

With the 40% off coupon each week, everything becomes pretty cheap.

:cheers:

So Oregon doesn't have any of these stores at all. But in a few weeks I will be going to Boise Idaho. There happens to be a Hobby Lobby there. Is the model selection decent or is it more akin to say a Micheal's craft store? I am asking because they always have crazy 40% coupons. I see on their online store that the selection is ok, do the stores usually carry more then the website?

If HL isn't in your state they will be soon........Moved into California recently I see.........

They usually carry a good supply of Model Master/Testors/rattle can paint(lacquer too)/glues/tools/etc....

I usually buy my CA glue there....1/2oz bottles @$2.99/bottle......fair assortment of model cars, some planes.......

Specialty paints for ships/boats I usually have to order online.....

Seeing that my 2 closest model shops are 16 and 25 mile away respectively, it serves a a fair interim supplier....

It's pretty much the same at every one. The ones here in Houston have the exact same kits.

Ditto in the Omaha area. They're OK when it comes to supplies, but for kits, it's a small selection of SSDD.

If HL isn't in your state they will be soon........Moved into California recently I see.........

They usually carry a good supply of Model Master/Testors/rattle can paint(lacquer too)/glues/tools/etc....

I usually buy my CA glue there....1/2oz bottles @$2.99/bottle......fair assortment of model cars, some planes.......

Specialty paints for ships/boats I usually have to order online.....

Seeing that my 2 closest model shops are 16 and 25 mile away respectively, it serves a a fair interim supplier....

Funny you mentioned that, I just saw it today on my way home from service this morning. Had to do a double take to read the sign as I drove by. Hobby Lobby, it didn't register at first as it was so unexpected. But I will be paying it a visit to check out the California version. Now I feel part of the gang when others mention Hobby Lobby and don't feel left out.

Chuck

Fly Navy

I think those 40% off coupon didn't help Hobby Lobby.

I remember 6 or 7 years ago when they had 50% off all models a couple of times.Albuquerque has three which my brother and me raided with me buying all three stores stock of 1/72 P-47D's ,Spitfires.

Ended up with about 10+ P-47's and 6 Spits.Built all the P-47D's but only 2 Spits so far.

Maybe back then they started thinking not to carry many model.

Those were the days.

Rick

Funny you mentioned that, I just saw it today on my way home from service this morning. Had to do a double take to read the sign as I drove by. Hobby Lobby, it didn't register at first as it was so unexpected. But I will be paying it a visit to check out the California version. Now I feel part of the gang when others mention Hobby Lobby and don't feel left out.

Chuck

Fly Navy

Unfortunately, Chuck, you and most others who haven't been to a Hobby Lobby have all ready missed out. The current Hobby Lobby experience leaves a lot to be desired (plastic model wise). The good old days of mis-marked kits and solid inventory are a thing of the past. While there are still good deals to be had they are few and far between.

Hobby Lobby is still worth checking out, but don't expect to find a Tamiya 1/48 F-16 mis-marked at $22. The 40% off coupon is good, but pretty unessecary when you're buying a Revell A-10 for $18.

Regardless, good luck in your search and let us know what you score!

Aaron