Settings for my shot was:

Manual exposure using the "Sunny 16" rule, that translates to an aperture of f/16 and 1/200 second at ISO 200. VR off, AF and light metering set to single point. Image quality set to 14-bit RAW. I also kept my tripod low, with only the bottom sections of the legs extended to minimize vibration and stay out of the wind as much as possible.

Post processing: I set the white point, boosted contrast and clarity slightly and added a bit more black in Lightroom 4, followed by some basic sharpening.

I tried Mirror lock up with my D3100 but I couldn´t seem to get an exposure out of it, seems like the function has more to do with cleaning than eliminiating vibrations... :(

ANybody who has a D3100 and is a bit wiser than me who could tell me how to take pics with the mirror locked-up?

I played around with my new Sony Alpha A33 last December and got some fairly decent moon shots. Lens used was my old Minolta 75-300 "Big Beercan" zoom. No worries about mirror vibration as the Sony uses Translucent Mirror technology and an electronic view finder. Great camera! :-)

Moon_120211_7.jpg

FullMoon_121011_1_Cropped_Sharpened.jpg

EL_Moon1_Adjusted.jpg

PC020014.jpg

Cheers,

Eric

The feature you mentioned is, as you just wrote, meant for sensor cleaning. What's referred to as Mirror Lock Up is a function where the camera flips the mirror up when the shutter is pressed and then wait for 10-20 seconds before the shutter is released, thus minimizing shake caused by the mirror action.

Another way of achieving this effect is to set the camera into live view mode. That will pop up the mirror, but you have to be a little more careful when releasing the shutter, f.e. by using a remote or self timer.

I tried Mirror lock up with my D3100 but I couldn´t seem to get an exposure out of it, seems like the function has more to do with cleaning than eliminiating vibrations... :(

ANybody who has a D3100 and is a bit wiser than me who could tell me how to take pics with the mirror locked-up?

Edited by Lansen

How come the name of a certain camera manufacturer get's replaced by the frase "I am a spammer, please report this post"?!

I played around with my new Sony Alpha A33 last December and got some fairly decent moon shots. Lens used was my old Minolta 75-300 "Big Beercan" zoom. No worries about mirror vibration as the Sony uses Translucent Mirror technology and an electronic view finder. Great camera! :-)

Cheers,

Eric

Gorgeous pics, Eric!

It´s really hard to get a good pic of the moon through the branches of a tree, specially to get both into focus.

The feature you mentioned is, as you just wrote, meant for sensor cleaning. What's referred to as Mirror Lock Up is a function where the camera flips the mirror up when the shutter is pressed and then wait for 10-20 seconds before the shutter is released, thus minimizing shake caused by the mirror action.

Another way of achieving this effect is to set the camera into live view mode. That will pop up the mirror, but you have to be a little more careful when releasing the shutter, f.e. by using a remote or self timer.

Ah, of course!

I´m using the timed trigger but I´m looking for a cheap remote trigger :D

Edited by Aigore