Roden 1:48 DeHavilland DH-9

Here’s my latest off the bench – the 1:48 Roden DeHavilland DH-9, painted in the markings of A6-16 of the Royal Australian Air force, based at Point Cook, Victoria circa 1923 (this aircraft was one of the “Imperial Gift†aircraft presented by Britain to Australia after the First World War). The most prominent feature of the RAAF DH-9’s is the modified “chimney stack†exhaust, which was used to keep exhaust fumes away from the crew. These aircraft were not routinely armed, and that is how I presented this aircraft.

A few additions were made to the kit – namely the new exhaust pipe, some detail added to the engine, cockpit, and other bits and pieces scattered all over the aircraft. Build log is here:

http://www.greatwaraviation.com/forum/index.php/topic,2895.0.html

http://aeroscale.co.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=190810&page=1

DH935.jpg

DH936.jpg

DH937.jpg

DH938.jpg

DH939.jpg

DH940.jpg

DH941.jpg

DH942.jpg

DH943.jpg

DH944.jpg

DH945.jpg

DH946.jpg

DH947.jpg

DH948.jpg

DH949.jpg

This wasn’t an easy build and required some care to make sure it all went together with a minimum of issues. Points to watch out for are the soft bendy plastic, sink marks, warped fuselage halves and the weak lower starboard wing joint (mine needed pinning). Rigging on these brit planes is also a bit of a nightmare (mine was rigged with aeroclub elastic tied to “bob’s buckles†wire turnbuckles). I would recommend this kit for those with a couple of biplane builds (and a stiff drink) under their belt.

All feedback welcomed!

Thanks guys!

Toniosky - not sure how long it took me to build this, but I think probably somewhere in the order of 80 to 100 hours (one day I really should keep track of how long it takes me to build something!)

Cheers!

BC