What Abramskit?

The Dragon M1A1 AIM and M1A2 SEP kits can still be found on eBay pretty readily. There are quite a few there now.

Other than them, it depends on what you are looking for.

If you want one that goes together well, but is missing some of the finer details and all the anti-slip coating, get one of the Tamiya M1A1/A2 OIF kits.

If you want better details and ones that come with anti-slip coating already, get one of the older Dragon M1 kits.

Stay away from the Academy M1A1 Iraq 2003 kit. Is is based off of their old, Tamiya copy M1 kit with a short turret and the old style chevron tracks which haven't been used since the early '90s. It does have a nice sprue of updated parts (J sprue), but the rest is junk.

Edited by HeavyArty

The Dragon M1A1 AIM and M1A2 SEP kits can still be found on eBay pretty readily. There are quite a few there now.

Other than them, it depends on what you are looking for.

If you want one that goes together well, but is missing some of the finer details and all the anti-slip coating, get one of the Tamiya M1A1/A2 OIF kits.

If you want better details and ones that come with anti-slip coating already, get one of the older Dragon M1 kits.

Stay away from the Academy M1A1 Iraq 2003 kit. Is is based off of their old, Tamiya copy M1 kit with a short turret and the old style chevron tracks which haven't been used since the early '90s. It does have a nice sprue of updated parts (J sprue), but the rest is junk.

I wonder if the old Academy kit would be ironically appropriate to build an M1A-nothing, or an M1IP, in case the supply of Tamiya's old A-nothing kits finally runs out? One would need to procure an M68 gun and do some modifications and scratchbuilding, of course. (Miraculously, between Ebay and shows I've been able to amass a few of the old Tamiya kits, but I fear that won't last forever).

I wonder if the old Academy kit would be ironically appropriate to build an M1A-nothing, or an M1IP...

Not really. Only the turret shell is still the shorter M1 part. The rest of the kit was updated to M1A1 standard. It would take a lot of work to backdate it to an M1. Even the old T156 tracks are a copy of the crappy, incorrect Tamiya ones with the giude horn in the middle of the pad. If you can find some of the old Tamiya M1s, I'd stick with them and a set of Trumpeter T156 tracks.

• 5 months later...

Old Tamiya M1 turret and new Dragon M1 Panther lower hull with trumpeter tracks that heavy arty recommends and you can make a pretty good M1IP. Armorama and missing-lynx forums have articles on that conversion. I believe HeavyArty has more info.

• 5 weeks later...