Hi everyone: After much torture and trepidation I finished my AM Vindicator. As has probably been discussed on this forum, this kit does NOT fit very well (understatement) but it is a pretty neat airplane and from what I heard on another forum I'm probably one of not many to actually complete one without throwing it at the wall! I did use the Eduard cockpit detail set which was nicely done. The paint is xf18 lightened with xf12 ijn grey, which worked well. So here it is with its many warts, so please enjoy!

DSC04605.jpg

DSC04607.jpg

DSC04609.jpg

DSC04611.jpg

DSC04610.jpg

DSC04615.jpg

Very nice, Bill. But get your paint back out - the canopy immediately behind the pilot's was actually painted sheet metal, not clear. Should be a simple matter to mask and spray it with the blue. Look at photos of real Vindicators in google.

bob

Edited by sierrascale

Very nice, Bill. But get your paint back out - the canopy immediately behind the pilot's was actually painted sheet metal, not clear. Should be a simple matter to mask and spray it with the blue. Look at photos of real Vindicators in google.

bob

The section over the raft was all metal.

Hi Nerdling and Otto: I hate to say it but my advice would be leave the kit in your stash and wait for Hobby Boss to make one that fits. Oh, where to start. First, the instructions suck. They are so vague in the interior section you simply cannot tell how stuff is supposed to go together. The entire interior is very fiddly, and then the BIG problem is that it doesn't fit into the fuselage; you basically have to put the whole thing in a vise to make it fit. The whole 10 lbs of sh** in a five lb bag routine. The fuselage seams on lower top/bottom are horrible. Fit of the wing to the fuselage is horrible. Fit of the cowling is horrible and poorly engineered. You can see the canopy fit is poor and this fit is great compared to the open canopy which simply will not fit at all. Also the fit of the instrument panel was so poor I had to discard it and superglue the PE panel under the coaming so I could get the windscreen to fit. On top of it, something about this plastic is funny; it didn't respond well to glue. Well yes, there are some bright spots; the engraving on the fuselage was pretty good, the engine detail was pretty good, and the landing gear fit given the complexity of the assembly was pretty good and it even has weighted tires. But I must say I am very proud to have finished this kit at all, and it did tax my modeling skills to the limit to get it done.

And yes, I figured out the canopy thing and probably will repaint it, but I really like looking at that life raft. If I decide to bring it to a show I'll repaint it, if not it stays clear!