Always loved the Screaming Eagles' black tailed CAG jets. Such subtle but striking markings. Anyway, I know that the last Sun Downers' CAG on the 1994 West Pac Cruise had full color markings on a TPS scheme with NACA gun vents-160920 (and I have found three different pics online) but I've never seen a VF-51 colored bird with NACA gun vents....until now. Looking online through the 1994 cruise book I stumbled across one pic (it's in the weaponry section) that shows the tail of the jet in TPS. It's definitely the CAG (as evidenced by the 00 on the tail). However there's no other pic showing the rest.

That's where I hope anyone here might have more pictures or know more about the jet (ie BuNo, what the rest looked like, NACA vs standard vents, skunk stripe, ECM bumps, etc)

I greatly appreciate it!!

All their jets had Naca vents well before the last cruise. Also all the jets were full ECM bump A's as well. I think at the time, 51 was flying 3 non-bumps jets. They were also fully air-ground capable by then as well. Both 51 and 111 were dropping bombs in Iraq during their 93 cruise. 51 was flying a full gray CAG jet during their final cruise. I've got a bunch of shots of them and low vis jets around somewhere and The Hook covered their last cruise in a photospresd of Tumor Twomeys pictures.

Brian

All their jets had Naca vents well before the last cruise. Also all the jets were full ECM bump A's as well. I think at the time, 51 was flying 3 non-bumps jets. They were also fully air-ground capable by then as well. Both 51 and 111 were dropping bombs in Iraq during their 93 cruise. 51 was flying a full gray CAG jet during their final cruise. I've got a bunch of shots of them and low vis jets around somewhere and The Hook covered their last cruise in a photospresd of Tumor Twomeys pictures.

Brian

Thanks for the info Brian. Would you be able to review your photos to check out the VF-51 CAG jet and post them if you can? Ahh through in the Last Buick in full color as well while you're at it! hah!

Bryce

If I understand your post, you are looking for information on F-14A, 160920, while assigned to VF-51? I have no record of it serving with -51. The Command History docs for VF-51 in Tomcats is very sparse.

No not 160920. I stated early that I know 160920 was the last "Buick"...last colored CAG, of VF-111. I don't know the BuNo of the last VF-51 NL100, nor have I seen any pictures of it except for the solitary small pic of its tail in the 1994 WestPac Cruise aboard the Kitty Hawk. Hoping someone, possibly Henk or you or Brian, may know more about it or have pics.

The only information I've seen on what possibly could be the BuNo for VF-51's last CAG came from this webpage:

http://www.gonavy.jp/CVW15-NL1992.html

It shows the planes and their modex numbers for most cruises under CVW-15 throughout the years. This Japanese site's information on the 1992-1993 Cruise shows the Eagle's CAG to be: 162591. But for the 1994 cruise it lists no BuNo's. I'm going on an assumption that the same jet may have been used the next year.

Thanks Dave!

Bryce

Edited by Black Lion VF-213