A6M2 Zero Model 21 (Airfix 1/72)

BII-124, pilot: Tsugio Matsuyama. Carrier Hiryu, Pearl Harbor, December 7th, 1941.

On February 19th, 1942 the aircraft crash landed on Melville Island near Darwin, Australii, piloted by Sgt. Hajime Toyoshima, who became the first Japanese POW in Australia. The wreckage is preserved in Australian Aviation Heritage Center in Winnellie.

Kit: Airfix (1/72). Decals: Techmod. It is the 4th model "team built" with my 4,5 years old son, Gustaw. He decided to put the pilot in the cockpit (which is uncommon in my collection), he decided on the colour scheme (his favourite colour is blue), prepared parts to fit, painted the interior and glued parts together until we got the complete airframe. I just painted the exterior, added details and decalled the model.

1669.jpg

1670.jpg

1671.jpg

1672.jpg

1673.jpg

1674.jpg

1675.jpg

1676.jpg

Hi!

If it is a new issue of the Airfix i need one! Really nice build!

Do you have any problem with the Tecmod decals??? I have heard many critics about this product, do not react with any decal solvent, very hard and sensitive... i wonder whether it is true or not.

Polo

If it is a new issue of the Airfix i need one!

Yes, it is. I just had to change the painting scheme, because for me the early Zeros should be grey and I should not have three Zeros painted the same way. I don't understand why Airfix gave only one, a little strange scheme in its new kit.

Really nice build!

Thank you and all other guys commenting the model.

Do you have any problem with the Tecmod decals??? I have heard many critics about this product, do not react with any decal solvent, very hard and sensitive... i wonder whether it is true or not.

Some Techmod set are hard to fit into surface, but I had no case of total failure. You can check how many times I used Techmod decals and see the results on my website (enter "techmod" in the search field). I use Gunze decal fluid Mr. Mark Setter and usually (also in case of A6M2) it was enough. If is does not work, I add Mr. Mark Softer, Microscale fluids or, in worst cases, Agama Hypersol, which is so strong it can set even hardest decals I ever faced (Academy and ICM).

Here's two links to photos of the actual Zero you modeled.

Thanks John, I found these photos (and others too) before. Here is full story of Toyoshima's landing I mentioned in my first post. Strange thing to me is, that only Techmod decals instruction provides some information about BII-124 at Pearl Harbor. I don't know what is the source of the information. On the other hand, Techmod does not mention about Toyoshima. Is that possible that BII-124 piloted by Matsuyama over Pearl Harbor and BII-124 crashed by Toyoshima are two different aircraft?

Edited by rav_pl
  • 3 months later...

Masuyama vs Toyoshima?:

The question was raised: "Is that possible that BII-124 piloted by Matsuyama over Pearl Harbor and BII-124 crashed by Toyoshima are two different aircraft?"

Matsuyama was training Toyoshima to be a Shotaicho...and lost his own aircraft that day.

Of interest, HIRYU Zeros had ROYAL BLUE (BLUE ANGEL BLUE) stripes...and in preparation for the Indian Ocean action, SORYU received new Zeros which were painted with MEDIUM BLUE stripes. Check the differences at:

Ceylon Raid

HTH,

David Aiken