Number 1: The F-5. It was very good for my "social" life when I flew it in to an airshow... the girls loved its lines. :woot.gif:

Runner-up (and in my opinion, better-looking than the F-5): Mirage III

ALF

P.S. All aircraft are beautiful in their own way - just like women and wine!

Spitfire (Merlin)

T-38 (it's got an area rule fuselage that looks like Marilyn Monroe was the model)

Constellation (it's kind of like a four engine Spitfire)

Honorable mention to the F-15 because I flew them

Honorable mention to the P-38 because my dad flew them

Honorable mention as well to the chick shown above in a previous posting w00t.gif

B-24 Liberator (Turret nose versions)

B-29 Superfortress

Messerschmitt Bf(Me)-110

de Havilland Sea Vixen

F-15 Eagle

MiG-29 Fulcrum

F-22 Raptor

Not a complete list of my favorites, but all very fun to look at.

Aaron

Edited by jester292

Hello Andre.. I know you are... :taunt:

I had more pristine Canberras in MY MIND...

Ooh, nice! And here I am with my Italeri B-57G, Airwaves Canberra T.17 conversion, HP RB-57D's and Mach 2 RB-57F in the stash... ;)

Come on Italeri, where's that 1/72nd Canberra B.2/6 you've promised us for 2010..?

Cheers,

Andre

Hmmm. This is a hard one. I kinda like the ugly ones. But to stay on topic.

F-14

F-18 (All of them especially the Super Bug)

F-16

Honorable mention- B-1B

Now if I went with what I thought was best looking.

A-10 Warthog and MV/CV-22 Osprey would be on the list.

While traditional "beauty" isn't really something I apply to most of the airplanes I like (I tend to like ugly, impractical, boxy, and angular), there are a few that I can't deny look quite amazing. In no particular order:

bv155_3.jpg

BV 155: There aren't a whole lot of period photos that do this plane justice, but this is probably my pick for one of the prettiest fighters ever. The long, elegant wings and fuselage are offset, but balanced, by the large under-wing radiators. Some planes only look good from certain angles, while the Bv 155 looks amazing from EVERY angle. It's a good thing they never built it, though- the eventual Bv 155C would've won the award from UGLIEST plane ever. (Think 1945 X-32)

xb36_b29-1.jpg

B-29 and XB-36: I like this photo, because both of the bombers have the same thing going on visually- simplicity. The B-29 is pretty much a metal tube with long, thin, straight wings and four giant engines- there isn't even a stepped canopy to mar the lines. The XB-36 is just an extension of that, with the added bonus of pusher props (better, IMO). I also prefer the canopy configuration of the XB-36 to the production models. It's sleeker, and makes the plane LOOK huge. The bubble canopy on the rest of the Peacemakers, while not horrible (and certainly a better idea in a practical sense), is still not as "pretty" as the original. If I'd change ANYTHING about the XB-36, I'd prefer the wings to be more like B-29- straight, high-aspect-ratio. But it's a minor gripe. The giant single balloon tires more than make up for it.

I tend to like the more robust planes shall we say lol. So my all time favorites are The Brewster Buffalo, The TBD Devastator, and of course the P-38 Lightning. Now for jets I like the F-80 Shooting Star, A-6 Intruder, and the F-4 Phantom.