I'll see your digital Flanker - and raise you my really naked Flanker :woot.gif:

day_01_029.jpg

Stripped down Su-27 inside the Moscow Aviation Institute - and yes, I did a complete walkround.

They also had a naked MiG-23..... (amongst many other airframe parts)...

day_01_022.jpg

Ken

I'll see your digital Flanker - and raise you my really naked Flanker :woot.gif:

day_01_029.jpg

Stripped down Su-27 inside the Moscow Aviation Institute - and yes, I did a complete walkround.

They also had a naked MiG-23..... (amongst many other airframe parts)...

day_01_022.jpg

Ken

WOW Ken!

Now that is shot you dont see everyday! Not that Im a pervert for naked flankers :naughty: ..... but do you have more like this?

Hi Ken,

Nice “bare†and “bare to the bones†Su-27's. Now how about the later one in 144 scale!?

Best regards

Gabor

WOW Ken!

Now that is shot you dont see everyday! Not that Im a pervert for naked flankers :naughty: ..... but do you have more like this?

More photos of my visit to the Moscow Aviation Institute (MAI) are here - just scroll down past the Khodynka photos.

Note the fin from Scott O'Grady's F-16, the escape capsule from an F-111 and the fin from a US Navy A-7.

The place we visited is the Structures Faculty at MAI - where they teach the Russian aeronautical students - so they have lots of cutaways of 'foreign' airframes.

Ken

More photos of my visit to the Moscow Aviation Institute (MAI) are here - just scroll down past the Khodynka photos.

Note the fin from Scott O'Grady's F-16, the escape capsule from an F-111 and the fin from a US Navy A-7.

The place we visited is the Structures Faculty at MAI - where they teach the Russian aeronautical students - so they have lots of cutaways of 'foreign' airframes.

Ken

That page showed some really interesting stuff. I did see where you mentioned that you shot the flanker comprehensively, but I only could find the one flanker shot that you posted here. Could I have bypassed the other flanker shots somehow?

That page showed some really interesting stuff. I did see where you mentioned that you shot the flanker comprehensively, but I only could find the one flanker shot that you posted here. Could I have bypassed the other flanker shots somehow?

No - I only posted one up on my website - the rest are on my hard drive.

If I find some time, I'll post up a few more of the cutaway Su-27.

Ken

As promised - cutaway Su-27 at MAI (just a few)..........

flanker_01.jpg

flanker_02.jpg

flanker_03.jpg

flanker_04.jpg

flanker_05.jpg

flanker_06.jpg

flanker_07.jpg

flanker_08.jpg

Excuse the watermarking - just experimenting.

I'm fed up with people nicking my photos - they have even appeared in published books, without my permission!!!

Anyone have any recommendations for free watermarking software that will do more than 5 pics at a time ???

Cheers

Ken

Hey Ken,

Thank you so much. this stuff is gold! with all the flanker reference I have, nothing like this exist anywhere I have seen. The gear lockdown mechanism shot for example is the first time I have seen it up close with such detail. I totally understand wanting to protect your media, but anything else you choose to post would be highly appreciated.

Hi Ken,

Very nice details, excellent photos. Thanks for them. Always wanted to get into MAI (haven’t given up on the idea).

As to the photos: I simply add the watermark in PhotoShop. Unfortunately there are some young "talents" all around the world (here in Hungary too and some of them visit ARC) who feel that everything published on the e-net is free for their use from then on. :angry::angry::angry:

There is no problem in having the watermarks on the photos, this is perfectly understandable and natural in today’s world. Just don’t forget to joint the layers (the photo and the watermark) for good other ways they can separate them and use them without the watermark.

Best regards

Gabor

Hi to all Flanker maniacs,

This is from the IVVATU or Irkutszk Higher Military Aviation Engineering College. They also (just as most similar military universities) had a Su-27 in a cut away form. Fortunately some photos remain of it, which I have found on the site of VIT A or if I am right Kovtun Vita. :salute: As far as I know they are his copyright.

The Su-27 board number 02 arrived to the college and was meticulously taken apart in a hangar and cut into large pieces.

It was taken up to the second floor hall in pieces and reassembled there. The right side had the wings and the engine taken off as well as most of the surface paneling, while on the other side the aircraft looked almost complete. The hall or Greek Hall as it was know to the cadets had at the last count one Su-27, a MiG-29, an Su-17 (a very earyl model) and a Su-24 in similar from.

Unfortunately there is no information on the present condition of this aircraft but the college was closed years ago and the building complex taken over by Unit 55433 as seen at the gate. The College also had a training airfield with several dozen aircraft of different types including 3 early Tu-22, at least one of each of Tu-22M0, -22M2, -22M3, big Iljusin's, a lot of Suhoj's and Mig's. About two-three years ago most of them were torn apart and used as scrap. I fear that the same happened to the cut-away 27 too.

On the way up to the 2nd floor

onthewayup.jpg

reassemly1.jpg

reassembly2.jpg

theotherside.jpg

here is a composite photo of the whole aircraft once again copyright Kovtun Vita

thewholeac.jpg

Any one up to it in 32nd, 48th or 72nd scale??? :D

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor

Gabor, I'll see your cutaway Flanker - and raise you a working MiG-23 at MAI....

day_01_022.jpg

It is on jacks and when powered up (the controls are in the box in the foreground)the undercarriage retracts and the wings can be swept.

They demo'd it to us.....

Ken

Ken, You win, you are the highest bidder! :D :wave: But I have to add that the Flanker at IVVATU was in the structural faculty. Here only structural, airframe questions. From what I have seen they also had a similar place with helicopters (a cut up Mi-24) and one with engines, I am sure they also had working systems too in other class rooms.

Actually I don't really have to go far from where I am now since in a local technical secondary school they have complete working systems of the MiG-21 F-13, hydraulic, air systems. . . :taunt:

Best regards

Gabor

Ken,

Great pics as always. As for watermarks, try IrfanView. I just watermarked 44ea. 6MB photos in 37 seconds, in Batch Mode, of course. The help file will have you up and running in about 20 minutes. Just remember to change the 'output' directory of the watermarked photos or IrfanView will complain that it cannot overwrite the 'open' (in-process) file, but not tell you why. HTH.

Cheers

Edited by svaz
  • 4 weeks later...

Fantastic video Sebastijan - excellent find :thumbsup:

I wonder what the occasion was - just a routine test flight of a new-build Su-27 ??? (are they still being produced??)

What were they doing to the wing joint?? - they removed the cover and applied grease.

Nice one though.....

Ken