black undrcoat under metallics

I will admit that I don't do much in the way of metallic finishes. Exhaust cans and maybe the back end of an F-15 are about the extent of my efforts. But now I'm working on a Cylon Raider, and I'd like a good metallic finish. I know I should use a black under coat, but I have a few questions. I'll be using Metalizer lacquers.

- should I use an enamel or acrylic undercoat?

-should I seal it before the metalizer? Say, with Future?

- if I do multiple metal shades, should I do a new black coat under each new color?

- does any of this actually matter?

Thanks.

My two cents.

It depends on if you want a chrome/polished AL finish. I use Alclad and when I spray those colors, I use MM Gloss Black enamel. The key is to get a flawless gloss black finish/smooth and let it cure a couple days. If you're using MM metalizers, really don't need it. I usually use a white or grey primer under those. I rub the primer down with a cloth to smooth it out some.

- I mostly use enamel, but I think I've shot metalizer over acrylic without issue.

- Sealing? It depends. I've taped over MM Metalizers to spray other colors without issue. I've also pulled up the paint with the tape. You can seal it with future and tape over, but let the future cure for a couple days. That being said, I've pulled up MM doing that.

- Unless you're spraying polished shades, shouldn't need to. A subtle change goes a long way.

- It might. Best thing to do is practice on scrap plastic. That being said, it may vary on the model once you get it on.

The key is the preparation. Here is an example of a NMF bird I did. The tail area is MM. Rest is Alclad. The only place I used gloss black was on the nuke. All other was primed in grey.

http://www.arcair.com/Gal5/4701-4800/gal4779_F-101_Salerno/00.shtm

Hevin: One of the best undercoats that I have used with the Alclad lacquers, is Tamiya TS-14 Gloss Black in the rattle can...which I decant into the airbrush paint cup. This operation can be messy but here is what I do:

Tape a drinking straw to the nozzle of the spray can

Cover the airbrush paint cup with Saran wrap

Punch a small hole in the Saran wrap

Insert drinking straw into the hole and release the contents into the cup

Let stand for about 5 minutes to allow the gas to vent off.

Spray away then let it dry for a day

Apply the Alclad

I don't respray the black undercaot for each shade of Alclad

I don't clearcoat with Future

Barney

Poor20Smedley_02.jpg

I will admit that I don't do much in the way of metallic finishes. Exhaust cans and maybe the back end of an F-15 are about the extent of my efforts. But now I'm working on a Cylon Raider, and I'd like a good metallic finish. I know I should use a black under coat, but I have a few questions. I'll be using Metalizer lacquers.

- should I use an enamel or acrylic undercoat?

-should I seal it before the metalizer? Say, with Future?

- if I do multiple metal shades, should I do a new black coat under each new color?

- does any of this actually matter?

Thanks.

You might find some useful information here.

Regards,

Bruce

Don't confuse techniques use for Alclad with other metal paints. Alclad has it's own process above what is required with most other metallic paints.

If you intend to use Model Master Metalizer than you can just spray it on any way you want, a black base coat will not have the same affect as it would with Alclad.

Beware of spraying a Lacquer over a Acrylic, you are setting your self up for disaster, the base cote can crack on you due to the different shrinkage associated with the 2 different types of paint.

I use Floquil Old silver for my base cotes and then use SNJ powders (for the overall finish) and Metalizers for different panel affects, I have found that different base colors using Metalizer then going over the area with the Snj powder did result in different panel shading.

Curt

I use Tamiya gloss black (TS-14) plus Alclad polished aluminum for shiny areas. Unfortunately I can't get it in my local hobby shops now so I make do with another gloss black. Or else I'll use Tamiya gray primer then spray Alclad over it, it just depends on the shade I want.