Huge 1/7 scale Tomcat!!!

Yes it is pretty awesome. I have a LOT of respect for the RC scale guys; a lot of engineering; especially the composite models. I sometimes wish that they would consult us plastic guys as its a shame to see all that work often with a big shape problem (well to me anyway!) Not to reduce the awesomeness of this though; it really is excellent.

There is also a 1/7 scale su27 that also shows the entire build from the plug to moulds to the first parts being pulled from the mold to flight testing. WICKED!!!

Edited by dryguy

I sometimes wish that they would consult us plastic guys as its a shame to see all that work often with a big shape problem

This is my main beef with so many "large" RC planes---basic shape issues. I've seen stuff that's like 1/10 or 1/20 scale, with frankly horrendous shapes that are worse than some 1/144 or 1/200 Chinese knockoffs of kits from the 60's. With that much larger a structure to work off of, you'd think they could hold to within a half-inch (actual, not scale) for the basic outline. I think a lot of them frankly get a basic 3-view line-art like this:

MiG-29_FULCRUM_(MIKOYAN-GUREVICH).png

And use that as their one and only reference.

Edited by David Hingtgen

They build them complete with miniture functioning turbojets, often made from an old truck turbocharger.

Being a person who has dabbled in rc flight, I have to point out that it often isn't simply a matter of 'making 1/7 scale.' In order to have a plane that actually flies decently, a few 'scale compromises' are necessary, particulalry with smaller scales. For example, my topflight spitfire has a much enlarged elevator. This is to make the airplane easier to handle on the edge of a stall. In a nutshell, the rc guys are dealing with completely different reynolds numbers that the original plane is, so scale compromises are often necessary. Having said which, a lot of the basic outline shapes are sadly off.

To end off, I think many of the more talented scratch builders here at arcair would be very, very useful indeed to the rc community, particularly now with the plug/mould/composite technology that rc flight is moving towards, where the parts are easily replicated with quite a lot of detail