5 PM May 23. A lifelong dream will be realized when I go for a ride on the Yankee Air Museums B-17G Yankee Lady. Despite my fear of heights AND flying, I'm so looking forward to this, after all it's been 5 years in the making. I'm hoping to put a video together by editing footage I take from inside and what the wife records outside. In any case, I'll be sure to post lots of pictures from the upper turret and bombardiers position.

B-17G.jpg

Edited by Flyingfortress

God, that bird brings back memories. I was born and raised 10 minutes down the road from Willow Run. I remember when they got her, my dad taking me there to look at it as they were restoring her, and seeing her fly over the house all the time. Never did get a ride, hope you enjoy.......you lucky b*****d :D . I haven't gotten back to the Yankee Air Force sence the hanger burned down, my uncle was in the Air Force stationed at the barracks on the other side of the road for a little while before he was discharged.

I got my ride in the Lady last summer. One of the coolest things I have ever done in my 61 years on the planet. I managed to wind up in the bombardier's seat for the landing and it was totally awesome. You will love it!!!

But it's not a Mustang??!! Oh thats right, that was my dream!! Please GOD, dont let him screw this up and make them land the plane after the wheels leave the ground. Better yet, it is TRACY, PLEASE GOD, dont let him make them turn back after they release the brakes.

Knowing you Flying Fart-Rest, you better bring an extra pair of your favorite Barbie Draws......

Again....it is a nice stable aircraft. My daughters are happy for you, but they all say...

IT AINT KNOW MUSTANG!!!! Bwahahahahahaaaaa!!

(Seriously, enjoy it, my friend!)

-Jim

I wish I could be there in person to see that. I'll be working, but I look forward to viewing your video if you decide to share it with us. Have fun! What gets to happen on this ride? Where do you get to sit? Where do you fly to?

Aaron

But it's not a Mustang??!! Oh thats right, that was my dream!! Please GOD, dont let him screw this up and make them land the plane after the wheels leave the ground. Better yet, it is TRACY, PLEASE GOD, dont let him make them turn back after they release the brakes.

Knowing you Flying Fart-Rest, you better bring an extra pair of your favorite Barbie Draws......

Again....it is a nice stable aircraft. My daughters are happy for you, but they all say...

IT AINT KNOW MUSTANG!!!! Bwahahahahahaaaaa!!

(Seriously, enjoy it, my friend!)

-Jim

Jim - did you know he don't like riding in my jeep because it sits a little too high?

Sean - You enjoy that airplane ride!!!

Have a great time, Sean..you'll love it! As for fear, it's strange. I'm a bit of a "nervous flyer" myself. I was extremely nervous the first time I flew on a commercial jet, which is of course is a "modern, safe" aircraft. Yet just a week later I got a ride on a B-17 (Fuddy Duddy) and even though is was a drafty old relic by comparison, I had the time of my life. One thing I've noticed, if I keep busy taking pictures, it makes it easier to ignore the anxiety.

SN

The overwhelming presence of the bird around you and the glorious sound of the four engines quickly makes you forget any fear you might have had. If it's a clear blue day you're definitely going to want to get into the nose compartment. It's a sight you'll never forget. I would love to be able to take a flight on one where they actually took it up to altitude. I know they don't do that anymore with any warbirds but man that must have been something to see. The view is spectacular.

Never heard about the opening of the bomb doors. I don't think they did that when I was on her or if they did I wasn't around at the time. I spent most of my time in the waist having a "moment"

The overwhelming presence of the bird around you and the glorious sound of the four engines quickly makes you forget any fear you might have had. If it's a clear blue day you're definitely going to want to get into the nose compartment. It's a sight you'll never forget. I would love to be able to take a flight on one where they actually took it up to altitude. I know they don't do that anymore with any warbirds but man that must have been something to see. The view is spectacular.

Never heard about the opening of the bomb doors. I don't think they did that when I was on her or if they did I wasn't around at the time. I spent most of my time in the waist having a "moment"

When I went up last summer, we were sitting with the bomb bay doors open, even during engine run-up. I was in the jump-seat behind the co-pilot during take-off and the sound and smell of those big radial engines firing up was a thrilling experience. I am 6'2" and 185 lbs and it was a tight squeeze for me to walk through the bomb bay to get to the cockpit/nose area. The doors were closed once we began to taxi.

BD

All I can add to this conversation is SAVOR EVERY MOMENT. The smells, the noises. The fact that you are actually flying in a B-17!!! Take pictures, videos, but don't spend all your time doing that. It's a thrill beyond belief. My ride in a B-17 took place 15 years ago (Collings B-17) and I still get a smile on my face when I remember that flight. ENJOY!!

as I look out the windows and turrets, try to think of how those men saw things and what must have been going through their minds

I was interviewing a vet once...B-17 radio man. I asked what his most vivid memory of the war was, and he replied "seeming my best freind's plane explode next to me on Christmas Day, 1944." Definitely gives one pause to think. On the other hand, I took this pic during a flight on Fuddy Duddy. The gentleman had been a B-24 crewman, and this was the first time he'd been on a military aircraft since WWII. I think his face says it all...

SN

B-17Ride045a.jpg

Sean

WOW !! Have a wonderful trip and if you can take photos, don't forget to share them here ...

Have a SUPER trip and enjoy it...

Just 2 more days to go :yahoo::yahoo:

HOLMES :wave:

Edited by HOLMES

Sean

WOW !! Have a wonderful trip and if you can take photos, don't forget to share them here ...

Have a SUPER trip and enjoy it...

Just 2 more days to go :yahoo::yahoo:

HOLMES :wave:

Ohh don't worry. I will be sharing all the pics and vids we get. between my Father and I we will have TONS of great shots for you all to see.

Sean

Ohh don't worry. I will be sharing all the pics and vids we get. between my Father and I we will have TONS of great shots for you all to see.

Sean

Sean,

YOU are going too ? Well fancy that...the two SEANS on a trip of a lifetime... :coolio:

Okay well Sean I can't wait for your photos too!!!Have a MAGNIFICENT trip as well... :salute:

:woo: Hoo :woo: Hoo :woo: Hoo

Man I'm sooo jealous. I have the Lone Star Flight Musuem here and I can get a ride on a B-17 there but I just don't have the money. One day though....one day.

Have a great flight! Looking forward to seeing your pics.

Flying Fortress/ Sean

well how did it go...how was it..did you enjoy it...did you get any oics taken...have you got any pics to show us...

sorry for asking too many questions...Kinda got excited as you have bene on it and today is 3 days after your trip..

Let us know how it was anyways..

HOLMES :monkeydance: