OT - Worst songs ever

There you are wrong, fella. The Eagles are NOT a rock band, they're a C/W band. Listen to their crap with that in mind and you will believe me.

I pretty much don't listen to music radio at all. The only execption is, since the new car came with Sirius, is the "First Wave" channel. They even have a couple of the old KROQ disc jockeys working there now.

On CD, mostly world music with a large proportion of Hawai'ian slack key and my '80s new wave stuff from when I was a young jarhead.

Dave, read what I wrote ...

One of the greatest bands of the Rock and Roll Era ...

I didn't call them a "Rock Band" ...

And if they are played on stations like KLOS and the Late, Great Mighty MET, what would you call them ? They don't play CW music ... KROQ was aliright but mostly meh ... :rolleyes:

-Gregg

guess I'm the odd man out here, but trust me I have a few that will cause an automatic change in the radio!

1.!!!! anything from Bobby Venton

2. anything from Sedaka

3. anything from the Philly PA area

4. Polka music of anykind

I hope you don't live in Pennsylvania! Bobby Vinton and polka in the Pittsburgh area and Philly, well, you mentioned Philly.

Radio (music radio stations) are dead to me. If I'm listening to music it is my eyepod/phone or pandora. I recently acquired a beautiful vintage Marantz receiver from the early 70's and haven't even hooked up an FM antenna wire.

If I ever hear "And I will always love you" by Whitney Houston ever again, if I have a gun I am going to shoot the speaker it is coming from. Since she died it has become the most OVERPLAYED PIECE OF CRAP I have ever heard. Okay, at ONE time it might have been good, but a neighbor's kid (a girl) liked to play it constantly when she was out in the garage and would crank up the volume on it.

As for other stuff... ANYTHING by Radiohead with the possible exception of "Creep" (and only in moderation). Everytime their singer sings in that high voice of his, it sounds like a cat being strangled. And my boss at work would put Radiohead on CONSTANTLY! So when Creep would come on, I would do the Beavis and Butthead thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfEBFj71l74

Taxi by Harry Chapin, another overplayed piece of crap that sucks. I always had to change the channel when the radio put it on or run the risk of it being stuck in my head the rest of the day (NOT because it was a good song).

BTW, did somebody mention Take my Breath Away? ;)

I hope you don't live in Pennsylvania! Bobby Vinton and polka in the Pittsburgh area and Philly, well, you mentioned Philly.

Radio (music radio stations) are dead to me. If I'm listening to music it is my eyepod/phone or pandora. I recently acquired a beautiful vintage Marantz receiver from the early 70's and haven't even hooked up an FM antenna wire.

Venton like Sedaka and Avalon would have never made the big time if it wasn't for Dick Clark taking payola (he even admitted that he did). Yet there were some others in that era that came out of the northeast that did survive for quite awhile.

A real test of music is how it stands up thru time. If others record it, then you know there's something to it. And if it's largely ignored then you know it's really a dud. Some folks here like Pink Floyd (I don't) and others like Parsons better (I also don't), but after seeing them play live in a good venue few will buy their music. Led Zeppalin has lasted thru time, and seem to attract new listeners all the time. Moody Blues is another interesting one from the same era. A good band that was a light year better than Pink Floyd in music quality, but nearly impossible to duplicate live. With the exception of L.Z., all the others are heavilly over dubed in the studio and thus cannot readly be duplicated. Santana is the opposite, and he's the real thing. Somebody here posted that they didn't like Dylan's stuff; well it's different for sure. But once you grasp his thoughts it's the real deal. He was a poet first, and a musican second. So you have to learn to think in similies. Jim Morrison was exactly the same way, and probably an even better poet once you learn his thought process. Myself I'm happy with the Greatfull Dead even though I wouldn't have touched their stuff when it was new! Their music has well stood thru time like Dylan's. So these days I do buy Pink Floyd LP's, but never play them. Just collect them for their value only.

An early Marantz reciever might be tubed, and might not. It probably is overdue for a tune up and a tuner realignment. The old tubed ones had a particularly nice sound to them. Look for a set of speakers that are a minimum of 8 ohms and better yet 16 ohms impedence. You instantly notice the difference in sound quality.

gary

Well, then you are basing your opinion on rap in general on pop-rap, correct? C**p like Jay-z, 50 Cent etc...

As in ANY genre, there is good and bad stuff. Can't believe i am defending rap, i am rock, hard rock, metal kind of guy. :D

I have to honestly say I think Jay-Z is pretty talented and I like his stuff. 50 is crap though. So many "musicians" ruin what rap/hip-hop actually is and give it such a bad reputation. IE; soulja boi, lil' wayne..etc. Talentless.

Somebody here posted that they didn't like Dylan's stuff; well it's different for sure. But once you grasp his thoughts it's the real deal. He was a poet first, and a musican second. So you have to learn to think in similies. Jim Morrison was exactly the same way, and probably an even better poet once you learn his thought process.

Hi Gary! I'm the one who said I didn't like Dylan's stuff. I think the problem I have is that I can't UNDERSTAND Dylan! LOL! And by that, I don't mean his concepts are too complex for me to comprehend. I mean I simply cannot understand his ramblings. My 3 year old daughter speaks in clearer sentences than Mr. Dylan.

I'm a huge Jim Morrison fan though. Speaking solely for myself, I like listening to his songs, closing my eyes and just letting his words and melodies take me to a different world. The only part that bothers me is when other drivers shout at me and it snaps me out of "the zone". Morrison I can understand. Dylan I cannot.

Eric

Anything by Eddy Wally.

'Who's he?', I hear you ask.

Keep it that way.

How can you say that?! He's The Voice of Europe!

Cheeeeeerrryy......!

:woot.gif:

Wow, what a list of dislikes, and I must agree with a few exceptions, as in I never listen to rock unless I'm in someone else dig's,(pauses looks for off button) however Led Zeplin, and Jimmy Hendix and others that could truly rock, usually blew people away, me included, for me some rap is awesome with a very deep message. The good stuff never makes radio. Maybe because of my 40+year horn playing I might be a bit hard core about what I listen to.

So here is my list Carley Simon, the guy that sing's the muffet song. Jimmy Buffett, and 99.9% of the songs already listed and many more. Oh and M.I.A. 90% of her material well not my style.

R.I.P. Donna Summer

Tonal

Edited by tonal