OT - Worst songs ever

Gonna show my age, but when I came home from Vietnam in 1970, the FIRST song I remember was "My Rubber Duckie"!!! Horrible!!

Another also ran from the 50's is, "Flying Purple People Eater"!!! Sick!!

Bo

Edited by jabow

A song whit only 4 words !!! :deadhorse1:

Get up and Boogie - Silver Convention

Got me by two words.

The only good thing about George Harrison's "Got my mind set on you" was that it allowed Wierd Al to make this one:

"Some rap,"

Actually Rap doesn't count, as it's not music. Music requires Melody, which Rap clearly lacks.

Too true. "Rap" is just a spoken word element, as music it's called hip-hop. Which doesn't always include rapping, but is referred to as "rap" often.

Got me by two words.

The only good thing about George Harrison's "Got my mind set on you" was that it allowed Wierd Al to make this one:

No disrespecting the greatness known as Weird Al, but technically the song was seven words long (I know, six as a lyric sounds better). :D

No disrespecting the greatness known as Weird Al, but technically the song was seven words long (I know, six as a lyric sounds better). :D

True, but perhaps the title of the song is referring to the song being parodied and not the one being heard?

Hi Gary! I'm the one who said I didn't like Dylan's stuff. I think the problem I have is that I can't UNDERSTAND Dylan! LOL! And by that, I don't mean his concepts are too complex for me to comprehend. I mean I simply cannot understand his ramblings. My 3 year old daughter speaks in clearer sentences than Mr. Dylan.

I'm a huge Jim Morrison fan though. Speaking solely for myself, I like listening to his songs, closing my eyes and just letting his words and melodies take me to a different world. The only part that bothers me is when other drivers shout at me and it snaps me out of "the zone". Morrison I can understand. Dylan I cannot.

Eric

I probably own 20 Dylan LP's alone, and who knows how many CD's and SACD's. His lyrics can be confusing with all his similies and twists and turns. Still once you grasp his trane of thought you hooked. The Birds were the sameway, and it took me forever to understand Mr. Tambourine Man, and where it was going. Morrison's stuff can be taken as pure music or you can take it apart to see what was in his thoughts. His poetry is difficult to understand, and he uses similies even heavier than Dylan. Plus to be honest with you all three groups use a lot of code words in there to further confuse the mix.

Many people associate the Beatles "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" with LSD, but it wasn't. It was a song composed for his son. Probably one of the very best songs that came out of that group and in an era when they were turning out a lot of junk because they felt that we'd buy anything with their name on it. Most folks associate the Doors song "The End" with murder, but it was far from that. It was an anti society-anti war song. Listen to it closely sometime and think about every phrase you hear. That one's easy to figure out. That's about the sametime that I was a young man on a 20 mile forced march at FT. Campbell. We took a break under some shade trees (very hot), and I heard this trumpet being played. It was simply like nothing I'd ever heard before, and the Sargents were also talking about it. One said it was Miles Davis, and I knew I had made a serious discovery in my adventures in the world of music. That was when rock & roll started it's death rattles for me. Now I probably own 40 of his LP's and probably close to 40 of his CD's. Frances Ford Coppola forced me to listen to Itaian Opera, and I kinda got a twinge from it. So I now own a little bit of that stuff as well. But that's also about the sametime I discovered Russian Classical music, and loved it. Meeting Bill Monroe down in Bean Blossum kinda introduced me to Blue Grass, and like that as well. Always liked the show on PBS called Austin City Limits, and the show introduced me to western swing and west Texas music. I grabbed a Jerry Jeff Walker LP, and have never looked back. Thru him I picked up on E. Whylie Hubbar, and a few others (read the album jacket to see who's there). Now I can't get enough of it as well. (everybody needs a copy of "London Homesick Blues" and "Up Against The wall Redneck Mother"!!) But day in and day out my passion lies with Miles Davis.

gary

Wow, what a list of dislikes, and I must agree with a few exceptions, as in I never listen to rock unless I'm in someone else dig's,(pauses looks for off button) however Led Zeplin, and Jimmy Hendix and others that could truly rock, usually blew people away, me included, for me some rap is awesome with a very deep message. The good stuff never makes radio. Maybe because of my 40+year horn playing I might be a bit hard core about what I listen to.

So here is my list Carley Simon, the guy that sing's the muffet song. Jimmy Buffett, and 99.9% of the songs already listed and many more. Oh and M.I.A. 90% of her material well not my style.

R.I.P. Donna Summer

Tonal

food for thought from somebody that knows the rock business. I am very close with the guy that The Allman Brothers used to set in for Dicky Betts when in was in jail (often), plus the guy is the last survivor of Molly Hatchet and a couple other groups. He can go thru riffs on a guitar like you wouldn't believe. Some songs he go off with it for a half hour strait and never play the same chords twice. He told me once that 98% of the folks playing rock are a joke in the music world. Are pretty much limited to four or five basic chords to a song, cause they simply can't take it out to another level. That's why most choruses sound similar in the long run. Still just as bad is that few of them have any serious timing in their music and their music lacks the term "musicality."

One afternoon he started naming folks that could play anything well and the list went from Les Paul to Hendryx. He also said right up front that you could seriously take all that apart and create two levels with the upper one rarely if ever duplicated. His upper list had about eight or ten musicans (most are dead).

gary

food for thought from somebody that knows the rock business. I am very close with the guy that The Allman Brothers used to set in for Dicky Betts when in was in jail (often), plus the guy is the last survivor of Molly Hatchet and a couple other groups. He can go thru riffs on a guitar like you wouldn't believe. Some songs he go off with it for a half hour strait and never play the same chords twice. He told me once that 98% of the folks playing rock are a joke in the music world. Are pretty much limited to four or five basic chords to a song, cause they simply can't take it out to another level. That's why most choruses sound similar in the long run. Still just as bad is that few of them have any serious timing in their music and their music lacks the term "musicality."

One afternoon he started naming folks that could play anything well and the list went from Les Paul to Hendryx. He also said right up front that you could seriously take all that apart and create two levels with the upper one rarely if ever duplicated. His upper list had about eight or ten musicans (most are dead).

gary

The problem with this view is it would be true if music was a science. In some ways it is, BUT it's also (mostly) an art. So how many chords you know, and how technically proficient you are on your instrument doesn't always equate to talent or even "musicality". No disrespecting Allman Brothers or Molly Hatchet, I love them both, but if you're strictly talking musicalilty, they aren't exactly pushing the envelope. Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes and alot of the other spin-off projects that inter-twine with the AB Band, yes, very much pushing it. But still, it ain't about what you know, it's about what you put in to it. As a drummer I can know there are a lot of great drummers in the business that can play solos all day, and bust out polyrhythms all day long. But that doesn't make them musical, just technically proficient. And a good solid player with good feel will get WAAAAY more gigs than a Neil Pert wannabe. In the end, it's just coordinated noise that has to please the listener. And 150 chords that never repeat seldom please most listeners. Just my humble opinion.

Bill