Ever built a clean room?

I will be moving into a new house in late July, and I will have the opportunity to turn a second laundry room into a paint room. (the room is 8x5) The room contains a vent to the outside, sink hookups, and some high shelving. The walls and ceiling are standard painted plaster walls, and the floor is sealed concrete.

How would you turn this into a clean room to minimize dust?

I am thinking of buying a hepa air filter, and using thick, clear, plastic sheets around the wall mounted paint booth.

Any other ideas?

My wife and I foster cats for our local humane society, I am jealous of your possible clean room. I totally understand frustration of dust or cat fur on a fresh paint job.

My suggestions would be watch how air flows into the room. Set up and your venting system and then test airflows with incense or a candle. Check for gaps around doors and check air ducts. If the air duct is a possible source of dust then you might be able to get a small filter for HVAC systems to but just upstream of the vent. Once you control quality of the air coming in the room then you just have to keep things clean inside. Luckily for us we are only concerned with relatively large particles so a basic air purifier should do. I have one with an ionizer to help with paint dust. If air coming in the room is acceptably clean then a strong venting system that quickly turns over the air in the room might be all you need. And wipe down all surfaces frequently.

Edited by Air2k757
  • 3 weeks later...

I've worked in quite a few clean rooms in the electronics industry.

A clean room should have higher pressure than outside air to force any dust out when you open the door to enter. You will also need to vent paint fumes, so your ventilation gets quite complicated in order to keep positive pressure inside.

Generally you have some kind of static mat outside to attract dust from your feet when you enter. This would need to be changed or cleaned regularly.

In order to clean inside the room, you'd need a central vac with the canister outside, so your exhaust doesn't vent back into the clean environment.

You don't need plastic on the walls, just use a sealer and paint everything gloss white or some glossy light color. Wash everything down and keep it clean.

Do not store any cardboard or paper products in the room.

Edited by dmk0210