Canadian B-24 Liberators

I have a work colleague who's father trained in Canada as a WAG on B-24's under the Empire Air Training Scheme, He was australian.

He would like to do a model of one so since its not really my area I thought I would ask you guys what mark they used for training in Canada.

I was thinking one of the Hasegawa B-24 1/72 kits would be the best but wouldn't mind some advice on which kit to get.

Hope you guys can help.

Cheers

Trev,

If you have any reference photos of the serial he flew the following list will determine the Mk. Based on my limited information on a few B-24 crashes in the Canadian prairies they all appeared to be B.Mk.VI (Later model B-24 J/H) Mind you that may depend on when he trained.

These articles may help B-24

Eduard B-24 (I don't build 1/72 - mind you the 1/48 B-24 needs a lot of display space!)

The Liberators of the Royal Canadian Air Force were as follows:

Mk.III/V

586-600

GR.Mk.VI

3701-3742, 11101-11105

EW127-37, EW208-14, 216-18, 270, 281, 282

GR.Mk.VIT

570-579

B.Mk.VI

KG880, 886, 888, 891-892, 894,

KG920, 922-24, 929-31, 978,

KH105-10, 171-76, KH285-88,

KK237-42

GR.Mk.VIII

11120-1135

Cheers,

David

VMFA314Knights

The Hasegawa B-24 is currently the best in 1/72, but also the most expensive. The Minicraft kits (also reboxed by Eduard and Italeri) have a few glitches, most noteably the undersized engine cowls. but are still pretty good, and can be found much cheaper than Hasegawa.

As for what variant you need, I'll leave that to the RCAF gurus. The Hasegawa kit comes in two flavors, the B-24D and J. The J represents a more or less generic Consilidated-built version. The Ford-built B-24s had a different style of "chin" window. and a different fairing behind the nose turret. The Minicraft B-24M is the only kit in any scale to include a Ford-style nose, but it still has some panel line inaccuracies and features the very late style bay windows for the navigator, which would have to be removed if you want to build an earlier Ford Lib.

SN

Trev:

The most likely unit would be #5 OTU out of Boundary Bay B.C. which operated MK VI Liberators. A large variety of finishes and markings. If possible, your friend should try and locate a copy of " Canada's Wings 2-The Liberator and Fortress" by Carl Vincent. Published in 1975, and, never printed again. Most everything you need to know about Canadian use of the B-24. A great resource!

Alvin5182

The Hasegawa B-24 is currently the best in 1/72, but also the most expensive. The Minicraft kits (also reboxed by Eduard and Italeri) have a few glitches, most noteably the undersized engine cowls. but are still pretty good, and can be found much cheaper than Hasegawa.

SN

Hasegawas are not just the best in 1/72, they are the best in any scale. The Minicraft would also be the best in any scale without the Hasegawas, and so on down the list in 1/72, as the lone 1/48th one is dead last even compared to most 1/144 scale ones probably...

Robertson

That's a bit harsh. ;) True, the old Monogram kit is a bit long in the tooth, but (to me anyway) the only really major shape issue is the cockpit canopy, which is too shallow, giving it a "squashed" appearance. While the kit lacks the finesse of more recent moldings, it still builds up into a pretty good looking model.

And believe me, it's much better than the old Crown 1/144 kit (currently boxed my Minicraft.) That one isn't terrible, but due to the small size it's extremely simplified and does look a bit "off" here and there.

SM

Trev,

If you have any reference photos of the serial he flew the following list will determine the Mk. Based on my limited information on a few B-24 crashes in the Canadian prairies they all appeared to be B.Mk.VI (Later model B-24 J/H) Mind you that may depend on when he trained.

Looks like you're right

http://www.ody.ca/~bwalker/RCAF_KH945_KN392_detailed.html