Interesting Pic of Tamiya's 1/32 scale F-14 at Shizouka Show !

Interesting pic. I wonder if they have done some rework on it to improve it? It looks as if the display model has recessed panel lines and I see the refuelling door is now there. Wonder if they have fixed the other problems such as the air intakes? What scares me is the new price 60000 = 760 USD!!! Maybe it is prebuilt and finished for this price? I'm sure once someone can read what it is saying in Japanese we will understand exactly what it is.

http://www.hobby-show.info/shizuoka2012/cimg6949.htm

Edited by Yasa

Thanks for the info. I thought it would have to be prefinished. I just wish they would update the molds for this kit and correct some of the small errors such as the intakes and panel lines and refuelling door etc. It is still a nice kit considering it age and is better in some areas than the Trumpeter kit. We still do not have a really nice F-14 out of the box.

Thanks for the info. I thought it would have to be prefinished. I just wish they would update the molds for this kit and correct some of the small errors such as the intakes and panel lines and refuelling door etc. It is still a nice kit considering it age and is better in some areas than the Trumpeter kit. We still do not have a really nice F-14 out of the box.

YOu cant really assume that this is a retooled model..... Most people I know who have built this one have fixed the panel lines and refueling door themselves....

We still do not have a really nice F-14 out of the box.

You know, this simply isn't true. (at least, not to me)

Do we have a "perfect" kit? Not by any means or stretch of the imagination, but to call the Tamiya kit, the Trumpeter kit, or even the revell kit "not nice" is a bit much (I know, it's an aesthetic choice, but humor me).

Even if not 100% accurately detailed, it nails the shape of the Tomcat pretty well, it's got a reasonably good fit (especially considering how much the Revell kit will fight you)

I guess you and I have different standards, but I'd call both the Tamiya kit AND the Trumpeter kit "really nice" out of the box (but far from perfect on both accounts). In both cases, you're getting a lot of kit for the money.

Edited by Skull Leader

You know, this simply isn't true. (at least, not to me)

Do we have a "perfect" kit? Not by any means or stretch of the imagination, but to call the Tamiya kit, the Trumpeter kit, or even the revell kit "not nice" is a bit much (I know, it's an aesthetic choice, but humor me).

Even if not 100% accurately detailed, it nails the shape of the Tomcat pretty well, it's got a reasonably good fit (especially considering how much the Revell kit will fight you)

I guess you and I have different standards, but I'd call both the Tamiya kit AND the Trumpeter kit "really nice" out of the box (but far from perfect on both accounts). In both cases, you're getting a lot of kit for the money.

This is a good editorial. I'll simply add that the real 1:1 Scale Tomcat is quite complicated and difficult to replicate as a kit in any scale.

Well said guys.

I think people think that using CAD is as easy as photoshopping photos.

To get a great result is far from easy particularly irregular shaped aircraft like the F14.

I think it's a testament to Tamiya and Hasegawa that there kits are still great even 20-25 years after release.

Personally I like the Trumpeter and Hobbyboss releases but there is still little in it and you can get a great looking F14 from any of them.