Kittyhawk's Second release

it surely must have enough of a fan base to make it economically feasible or why else would a new company venture into those waters with their first release. According to your assumptions, they would be risking economic suicide.

And I believe that's exactly what these first two releases will do. The F-94, no matter how cool it is, has everything against it. It was a very limited service type, every single one of them that ever flew was in natural metal (a death knell for any model kit), and there was exactly one user (USAF).

The F-35 is still in development. Even if they get it 100% right the way it looks today, is that what it's going to look like in 5 years when it gets into service (if it ever does)? Or in 15 years?

Of all the airplanes that have never been done, these two would have been close to the bottom of my list of whiz-bang, runaway best sellers for my first two releases as a new model company. Maybe they know something we don't, but remember, model companies are people. And people have parochial interests that often blind them to the way the real world is.

I certainly hope I'm wrong, and that they blow the doors off the barn with these two releases. I just don't really see it happening. Ditto the Tamiya Il-2...

And I believe that's exactly what these first two releases will do. The F-94, no matter how cool it is, has everything against it. It was a very limited service type, every single one of them that ever flew was in natural metal (a death knell for any model kit), and there was exactly one user (USAF).

The F-35 is still in development. Even if they get it 100% right the way it looks today, is that what it's going to look like in 5 years when it gets into service (if it ever does)? Or in 15 years?

Of all the airplanes that have never been done, these two would have been close to the bottom of my list of whiz-bang, runaway best sellers for my first two releases as a new model company. Maybe they know something we don't, but remember, model companies are people. And people have parochial interests that often blind them to the way the real world is.

I certainly hope I'm wrong, and that they blow the doors off the barn with these two releases. I just don't really see it happening. Ditto the Tamiya Il-2...

Regarding the Tamiya Il-2, that's an apples to oranges comparison. Tamiya isn't exactly a startup company wading into uncharted waters with that Il-2. About the F-94 and your comment about the natural metal; not everybody hates it. Not everybody is turned off from the idea of natural metal because they can't get a perfect finish. They chose the F-94 because they like it, or because they think there is a market for it. Or maybe another reason for it altogether. Maybe their startup consists of funding for 7 or 8 new tool kits, and they expect to get enough return from the 7 or 8 kits to cover the less profitable kits.

Would you disagree that you're blind to the appeal of gray air foce jets that you often quote as "boring"? That's appealing to some, believe it or not. Would you disagree that you're blind to the opinion that some people don't find US Navy jets appealing?

I completely agree with your statement that people have interests that have potential for shortsighted business decisions, but that doesn't mean they'll fail.

Aaron

And just a quick follow up, Tamiya isn't looking to "blow the doors off the barn", so to speak, with the Il-2. You've mentioned this before, so I'll reiterate: Tamiya releases what Tamiya wants to release. Also keep in mind that if KittyHawk actually starts to break even with the F-94 in the future, they'll have a market cornered like Monogram has with the B-24 and B-17 in 1/48 (let's not debate the Revell and Monogram B-17, the Monogram is built WAY more often).

Aaron

hi all

been watching this thread closely.

1. Jennings, looking at your information. do you live in Virginia?

if you do, maybe we could hook up and dicuss the model business.

I live in Charlottesville Va. that's in the center of state, i'll meet you where you say. i'll have a manufactures table at the Roanoke show

2. the F-94C was completely my idea. i've been working on it for a long time. but i have prototypes of future kits all over my house, garage and shop. and in CAD form

plus many on there way to China, some there already.

3. my partner has also wanted to do F-35 from before we went into business together.

are next planes will be a lot more popular, i promise you

thanx for your time

Glen Coleman

world Rep

www.Panda-Hobby.com

www.KittyHawkmodel.com

2012030612505.jpg

I think this will be a cool kit to have. I'm looking forward to it.

Heck, people laughed when manufacturers first came out with the Predator drone......and I've seen many built.

What's more boring.....and maybe daring.....than kitting a drone?

I applaud you guys for giving the F-35 a shot and I hope the kit comes out well.

The program itself might be dysfunctional, but the plane itself is very interesting.

These are opinions folks. Yours is not wrong, mine is not wrong. They're just opinions. Perhaps we all need to take a breather...

These are also toy plastic airplanes. It's not the cure for cancer or the solution to global poverty. Just toy plastic airplanes.

hi Jennings

i hope you didn't think i was mad or anything. i need good ideas.

i was serious on a meeting, as far as that goes anyone who is an aircraft, AFV, ship, train, or car modeler. i would like to meet with you.

we can share ideas. i hope to eventually make kits of all those things.

we are open to any ideas.

i have some great people on board now. but the more the better

G Coleman

www.KittyHawkmodel.com

2012030612505.jpg

Good for you, It's your company and you do what makes you happy. The kits always sell, some faster than others. If the quality and detail is there you have nothing to worry. I have bought many kits that I will never build, but bought them none the less.

I wish you lots of success and I am looking forward to future releases.

we are open to any ideas.

A North American F-86A release would be fantastic.The only options for the F-86A at the moment in 1/48 are the prehistoric Linberg kit and the very high priced out-of-production Cutting Edge conversion.The F-86A did a sterling job in the Korean War until replaced by the F-86E and F and dozens of Air National Guard units flew them,some in very colorful markings.Duncan Curtis would probably gladly help supply info and needed references,he has written several books on the subject and has a website and would help you kick out the most accurate F-86 ever released.

I will have to disagree with Jennings regarding the bare metal finishes on certain modeling subjects,if you look in the galleries on this site,the F-100,F-86,F-80/P-80,T-33,P-51,P-47 galleries are very heavy bare metal schemes.If people like the subject,they most likely will gladly pay the money for the kit regardless of what finish.I'm not a huge fan of NMF but I have several F-51,F-86 and C-47 builds in the works that I will have to airbrush a metal finish.

I hope you and Jennings do hook up,Jennings is a awesome decal guy and a stickler for accurate markings and detail on subjects.

Edited by ThePhantomTwo

Good for you, It's your company and you do what makes you happy. The kits always sell, some faster than others. If the quality and detail is there you have nothing to worry. I have bought many kits that I will never build, but bought them none the less.

I wish you lots of success and I am looking forward to future releases.

well said

F11F Tiger...F2H-3/4 Banshee...FJ-3 Fury...F9F-8 Cougar

Now, repeat these 100 times in your sleep every night. :thumbsup:

DITTO! Mr. Coleman, I'd love to see the above mentioned planes produced in 1/48 scale. Oh, and an F7U Cutlass, too.

Thanks,

Eric

Edited by echolmberg

I think that 1/48 models of ANY of the following would be well received (at least by ME!):

F-82 Twin Mustang

F-86A Sabre

RF-84F Thunderflash

B/RB-45 Tornado

B/EB-66 Destroyer

B/RB-47 Stratojet

T-33 Shooting Star

F-101A/C Voodoo

F-101B Voodoo

RF-101C/G/H Voodoo

F-89C/D/H Scorpion

RB/WB-57F

F6U-1 Pirate

F2H-2/3/4 Banshee

F9F-5 Panther

F9F-8 Cougar

F9F-8T/TF-9J Twogar

F7U-3/3M Cutlass

FJ-2/3 Fury

F11F Tiger

AJ-2 Savage

AD-5 Skyraider

T2V Seastar

P-3 Orion

Supermarine Swift

Avro CF-100 Mk IV/V

Avro CF-105

Avro Shackleton

Gloster Javelin

Supermarine Scimitar

Folland Gnat

Dassault MD.450 Ouragan

Dassault Mystere/Super Mystere

Dornier DO-28 Skyservent

Fouga Magister

CP-140 Aurora

Breguet Atlantic/Atlantique

Su-9/11 Fishpot

MiG-23 Flogger

MiG-27 Flogger

MiG-25 Foxbat

MiG-31 Foxhound

Yak-25 Flashlight

I've left a number of aircraft off that have been announced or maybe coming from other companies such as the Lansen, S-2/E-1/C-1 family etc.

Edited by madmanrick

Just wondering, but for the family version of the A-1, I'm wondering if it would be possible to simply tool a new fuselage and associated parts to be used with the Tamiya kit, kind of an injected plastic conversion. You could do the A-1E, EA-1F, and EA-1Q.

It is nice to have many new ambitious facturers evolved over the last 2-3 years.

Kitty Hawk´s F-35B, as we see here, is not anyone´s taste, but in my opinion it will be a good selling kit of a popular subject, which is currently well discussed and covered in different mass media resources.

Some of you have posted many suggestions for future Kitty Hawk kits. Some of them are very interesting and let´s wait if the more exotic subjects will be released sometimes.

For a newcomer like Kitty Hawk it is obvious to release kits of more poular aircraft at first. Here we still have plenty of subjects, which until now are covered by ancient kits with 25 or more years on the back needing a plenty of resin and time for an accurate replica. With this I mean some prominent Cold War jets, like late version F-4 Phantom (F-4E, F and G), Mirage IIIE/5 and MIG-29 9-12 and 9-13 in both 1:48 and 1:32 scale. The list is much longer, but especially these I am sure would be very good selling atate of the art kits.

Forgotten until now also is a good F-86H Sabre in 1:48 (and 32 too), or a nice Lockheed T-33 and Cessna T-37. After the disappointing Hobbyboss Tornado this gap in 1:48 still is open ... .

Greetings

Christian

Edited by falcon91352

"With access to all the high resolution images of modern aircraft out there, it doesn't stop companies like Trumpeter

and Hobby Boss from really screwing things up"

"I bought two of the F-94C's as a thumbs up for Kitty Hawk.You guys deserve support for the effort to come up with

the Starfire.

Please consider a 1/48 F2H-2/3/4 Banshee, and possibly even a F9F-6/8 Cougar and FJ-2/FJ-3 Fury at some point."

Make mine Your words ! Go ahead Kittyhawk !

SouthViper

Would be nice to have a new tool F-102 and F-106 in 1/48 scale.

Steven L :pray:

Good picks. Of the two, the -106 gets my vote, I think it is by far the prettiest jet every flown.

To be honest, my top pick would be a 1/48 T-39 Saberliner. For some reason, I always like the looks of this jet. It never carried weapons but it was built in numerous versions, with plenty of colorful markings (including civil). Still hopeful that someone might release a 1/48th scale kit of this.

Edited by 11bee

Just wondering, but for the family version of the A-1, I'm wondering if it would be possible to simply tool a new fuselage and associated parts to be used with the Tamiya kit, kind of an injected plastic conversion. You could do the A-1E, EA-1F, and EA-1Q.

I would love to see a fuse without the armor and also one with the side door.

I would love to see a fuse without the armor and also one with the side door.

I would love a entire family of Spads, period! To include the A2D Skyshark seeing that was developed from the Spad. :D

Frankly, I'd love to see a Ju 388 in something other than resin; not to mention a B-47, C-123, C-119 or P-3 as well - all these in 1/48 of course :coolio: