hi everyone

Well, after a couple a few months hiatus on building anything other than frikkin' Ikea (and 1 SU-33) I have finally started on my next project - The Cordoba from the Crusher Joe anime series.

IMG_0809.jpg

I'm not a huge fan of anime, but I really love the design of this starship and the kit itself begs for extra detailing.

I've started with something small to get me back into the swing and chop of things

IMG_2897.jpg

IMG_2900.jpg

IMG_2905.jpg

And a boring shot of my current work space (which isn't huge by any means, but it's a heck of a lot bigger than the little coffee table I was reduced to last time)

IMG_2907.jpg

I'll be back at it again tomorrow. Like the Venator, I do not anticipate this build to be quick but hopefully it'll be shorter than a year (however, I am not promising anything)

See you all again soon

MH

I've only ever seen the first couple of Crusher Joe movies and I thought they were mindless fun. Loved the vehicle designs in all of them, and the Cordoba was a standout. I mean if you were Joe and this was coming up behind you with all those guns... watch out!

Looking forward to your build of this. I did mine over 15-20 years ago now I think...

Is that the ole Takara kit you are working with? Indeed they are pretty scarce. I was lucky to find a couple of the large Minervas myself (one of which I built in high school and still have as it was my first cracking good SF model).

The Cordoba was seen in the first Crusher Joe movie and it was a BIG ship. I love what you are doing with this.

time for a couple of quick pics. I have almost finished those little vents - might add some more detail yet maybe tomorrow.

I need to give the eyes a break for tonight - here's why:

IMG_2913.jpg

Here's how they are used:

IMG_2914.jpg

IMG_2915.jpg

Some of the vanes look wonky and that's the way I intended them to be (Replaced hurriedly or damaged from battle) Mind you, I have replaced the entire vane section on the very bottom one - it was just too wonky!

IMG_2911.jpg

From here, it's more cutting, carving and drilling fun! Luckily for this build, I won't be using miles of Fiber Optics - just a few centimeters :woot.gif:

As always, thanks for stopping in :cheers:

MH

If you're trying to find it on DVD, the Crusher Joe movie and the two OVAs were released together about 8 years ago I believe with optional English language dubs. They might be a little tough to find since the set is OOP, but a vendor on Amazon might have them. The Cordoba's use was kind of limited as the action focused on Crusher Joe's group where as the Cordoba is part of the Galactic space force (part navy, part police force) and they got called in for the major battle at the end. Picture something big and hulking that can blow most anything else out of the sky if given half a chance and you'll get a pretty good idea of what the Cordoba does. Closest analogy I can think of to say Star Wars would be the Minerva is like the Millennium Falcon while Cordoba is more like a Mon Calmari cruiser or a Star Destroyer as the fire power and maneuverability of both ships would be comparable to their SW counterparts.

I didn't think to look in Amazon - I keep forgetting about that site. I'll have a look there later tonight

I'm quite keen to watch it really. The whole things sounds pretty cool

I'll post some more pics soon. I realise that these vents aren't exactly a riveting watch, but you have to start somewhere right?

Small update - I only managed to get in a couple of hours of work in due to a sick wife and being on baby duty. There's still a few surfaces to tidy up here and there and I'm not sure I'm happy with a couple of things, which the photos will clearly show.

Vents now finished:

IMG_2917.jpg

Started work on the smaller vent at the rear of the ship. This is one of those areas I'm not 100% happy with, so may rip them all out yet and redo it.

Cut and filed back:

IMG_2919.jpg

IMG_2920.jpg

IMG_2927.jpg

IMG_2936.jpg

And finally, I've started some other vents that go on the bottom mid-ship:

Before:

IMG_2929.jpg

During:

IMG_2931.jpg

IMG_2932.jpg

After:

IMG_2933.jpg

IMG_2934.jpg

I'll be measuring up some slats to go in there tomorrow and then I'll probably make a start on the multitude of guns this ship has. Best go buy some brass tubes then!

Thanks for tuning in

MH

quick update

I re-did the little vent thingy at the rear, so it looks a lot better than before. Its very thin plastic and is hard to grip with the tweezers:

IMG_2938.jpg

Have added vanes to this part as well - they just need to be trimmed and then they are done

IMG_2945.jpg

made a start on the guns. Have spent 2 hours cutting small brass tubes and some are not uniform in length, so will cut more to make them all even. Have also started to detail the gun bodies too:

How they look OOB:

IMG_2942.jpg

And the detailing starts:

IMG_2948.jpg

More to come.... maybe tomorrow :D

OK - finished off the main guns with the replaced sticky out things made from a 1/700 Photo etched crane I cut up and stuck back together. The others still have a little bit more work to do on them before they're all done and then I can move onto scratching up some replacement fins in which I run some of the few Fiber Optic threads through to light up the ends (you'll see what I mean when I get to it)

Then it's onto replacing the rest of the gun barrels with brass tube (not very exciting really) and then I'll make a start on the body.

Naturally, this will be lit, but I will reduce the intensity of the LED's inside more to match the scale of the ship (a very valuable lesson I learnt from the Venator)

IMG_2957.jpg

IMG_2958.jpg

IMG_2963.jpg

IMG_2964.jpg

IMG_2966.jpg

IMG_2965.jpg

IMG_2968.jpg

IMG_2969.jpg

IMG_2972.jpg

Thanks again for stopping in

MH

thanks guys for your kind words guys :cheers: it's great to see you back Chippy!

Bigasshammm - nah it's definitely not a Revell Star Destroyer bro - that was last time. This time, I have gone for something very different to my normal style of build and gone for something anime. I posted a picture of what it looks like in the first post

Well, time for the last photo's of the weekend - the finished main(?) battery.

I'm pretty happy with how they've turned out but for now, they'll sit in their little container till right near the end of the build at painting time because I'm pretty sure I'll be clumsy enough to break one off it I put them on now :whistle:

IMG_2974.jpg

IMG_2975.jpg

IMG_2982.jpg

IMG_2986.jpg

IMG_2988.jpg

IMG_2992.jpg

Thanks again everyone for stopping in!

MH

No I know this isn't a star destroyer but in your picture Of your bench there was clearly a clone wars star destroyer. Looked really nice and was wondering if it was the newer revell kit or what it was. If revell I'll definitely have to get it. Didn't think it looked that nice.

Ohhh - hehehe - now I know what you mean. It is the Revell version, but it's the one I spent a year and a half detailing (see thread: http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=219632)

I don't have anywhere else to store it at the moment, so it sits on my work bench ready for Expo. After Expo, it'll probably go into storage or somewhere else. Not sure yet what I'll do with it.

Edited by The Madhatter

Time for a quick update before I hit the sack. Have spent the last couple of evenings starting to detail the rear section. I've cut through the rear of the ship to allow for the insertion of the lighting system later down the track.

I have also cut away the molded on bridge and started to shape my own bridge that's 10 single fiber optic threads sandwiched in a styrene shell and then carved into a curved front end:

IMG_2993.jpg

IMG_2994.jpg

IMG_3006.jpg

IMG_3007.jpg

I've also made a good start on some of the smaller add on's to the rear section. This part is underneath right at the back. I've tried to make sure every little detail has a purpose:

IMG_3021.jpg

IMG_3024.jpg

IMG_3025.jpg

IMG_3029.jpg

The half shells and the rear "stinger"

IMG_3030.jpg

IMG_3033.jpg

I'll post some more pics later on. Thanks for stopping by!

MH

OK, so I know I'm posting so soon after my last one but I did some work on it today and I thought I would show you how it was going.

Even though it doesn't look like much, it's still a fair few hours work, and I had to remind myself to stop and take some pictures as I went.

I hope I''m not OD'ing it here. :unsure:

IMG_3035.jpg

IMG_3038.jpg

IMG_3042.jpg

IMG_3045.jpg

IMG_3050.jpg

IMG_3058.jpg

IMG_3060.jpg

IMG_3062.jpg

IMG_3047.jpg

IMG_3049.jpg

I'll have to find thinner brass tubes for the fins. I'll be running a fiber thread through there connected to a red LED which is in turn connected to what I hope is a still functional flasher unit. :pray:

Hopefully, I'll have more to show next post - much more

Thanks for stopping in

MH

Well, due to time constraints, I haven't accomplished much, but I have got the 2 hull plates together and the inside is sprayed silver. I won't be using miles of Fiber Optic on this build - just a nice simple rod with a few LED's attached to it (although I am still trying to work out how to attach them to the styrene rod so it'll be an interesting test of my electronic skills)

I cut away some of the top where the smaller gun batteries will sit and scratch built a new one :

IMG_3202.jpg

IMG_3204.jpg

IMG_3208.jpg

IMG_3210.jpg

IMG_3213.jpg

and this is where the end of the rod will sit to hold it in place at the front of the ship:

IMG_3206.jpg

Sorry it's not much of an update, but believe it or not, this took quite a while. From here, I'll start detailing the mid-ship and then onto the front. I'm going to try and make a start on making new fins for it as I finally got hold of some really small 1mm diameter brass tube the other day.

Thanks again for stopping by!

MH

thanks Jay - no - still yet to see it (found some DVD's on Amazon but I don't know the name of the DVD I should get which has the Cordoba in it).

Well, I've completed the first set of replacement fins. These ones go one the side at the rear.

I took photos of each stage so you can see how I did them. I;'ll be doing the other 4 in the same manner

First - I made the pattern:

IMG_3047.jpg

Then add the .5mm brass tube and some filling:

IMG_3244.jpg

Then sandwich the 2 patterns together:

IMG_3245.jpg

IMG_3246.jpg

IMG_3248.jpg

Then shape everything with a file:

IMG_3250.jpg

IMG_3252.jpg

Then add detail to finish it:

IMG_3255.jpg

IMG_3258.jpg

IMG_3257.jpg

And that's pretty much it. These are now done and it's time to get off the computer and back to making fins! :wave:

(edit: opps - added the same photo twice)

Edited by The Madhatter