Best Line of Acrylic Metallics?

I long ago abandoned enamels and lacquers for painting. However, I've always been mildly disappointed with the acrylic offerings for Metallic colors. In the 80s/90s Polly-S offered a pretty good line of metallics that I haven't seen in about 10 years. Unfortunately, my supply is rapidly dwindling. What are the best acrylics for metallic shades? Is there a line that is better for airbrushing versus brush painting? I saw the model air line from Valejo--does anyone have experience with their metallics?

Citadel paints and the Revell aqua series are good, if available in your LHS, I would try both and stay with the ones you like most. I once used Valejo Model Air (Chrome I think) on an Airfix MiG-15. I had the impression that the colors stayed slightly sticky for quite some time. Not to the touch but single lint fibres would stick to the paint pretty good.

Cheers

Thorsten

Thanks everybody. I just ordered some Citadel metallics and some of the Talon line to trial. I wonder how they'll look on a 1/72 Tu-95?

Just be sure to understand and follow Hawkeye's instructions on his web site! Don't, and it's disaster. Do, and you'll be amazed.

Thanks everybody. I just ordered some Citadel metallics and some of the Talon line to trial. I wonder how they'll look on a 1/72 Tu-95?

If you are going to airbrush the Citadel, thin it with Tamiya thinner. If you use plain old alcohol, the paint will congeal and make you spend about an hour cleaning your airbrush.

Ask me how I know.

If you stick to the good thinner, and thin the paint heavily (3 parts thinner, 1 part paint), you'll get some beautiful results.

If you are going to airbrush the Citadel, thin it with Tamiya thinner. If you use plain old alcohol, the paint will congeal and make you spend about an hour cleaning your airbrush.

Ask me how I know.

If you stick to the good thinner, and thin the paint heavily (3 parts thinner, 1 part paint), you'll get some beautiful results.

Agreed! Citadels spray beautifully with Tamiya thinner.

Are there other thinners that work well with Citadel--like Testors acrylic thinner?

Not in my experience. Bottle says it can be thinned with water, but I found the adhesion to be quite poor this way.

Are there other thinners that work well with Citadel--like Testors acrylic thinner?

There is a simple way to test solvent-paint compatibility:

1. Fill a small vial or bottle half full with the reducing (thinning) solvent to be tested. You want a gross excess of solvent.
  2. Add half that amount of paint.
  3. Stir. If the paint disperses readily, they may be compatible. If the paint does anything else, they are not compatible.
  4. Once the paint is completely dispersed, let it sit a minimum of three days, but no more than five. The paint may settle, but that's okay.
  5. After 3 days, attempt to redisperse the paint. It may have settled "hard" because of the excess solvent. It should still redisperse fairly easily. Anything else means incompatibility.
  6. If the mixture redisperses, pour a small amount onto a glass or glazed ceramic plate. Spread it with a razor blade and look for fine granules of hardened or semihardened paint. A few are okay, but a lot of them means the combination is not compatible. If you aren't sure, gently rinse the test plate with more of the same solvent. This may let you see the granules better (if present).

If the combination passes these tests, it's okay to use for airbrushing. It does NOT mean the mixture is compatible for long term storage. That requires a minimum of a month wait time. (Commercial testing runs for at least a year.)

I'll second that! They are wonderful for brush painting, and I have seen beautiful results too from airbrushing them. Here's a 1/32 Tamiya P-51D from geedubelyer painted with them.

be careful of the Citadel paints with new colour names, being marketed at present

they are pants.... :bandhead2:

their formulation is different,as they have a new manufacturer...

I long ago abandoned enamels and lacquers for painting. However, I've always been mildly disappointed with the acrylic offerings for Metallic colors. In the 80s/90s Polly-S offered a pretty good line of metallics that I haven't seen in about 10 years. Unfortunately, my supply is rapidly dwindling. What are the best acrylics for metallic shades? Is there a line that is better for airbrushing versus brush painting? I saw the model air line from Valejo--does anyone have experience with their metallics?

vallejo metallics are a touch temperamental, as their metal pigments spoil , particularly if you use Klear to seal them :woot.gif:

I've been using Citadel metallics a bit, and have ever thinned it with distilled water only. Never tried it with anything else. One tip I can give you when spraying Citadel thinned with water, don't panic when you see the paint didn't seem to cover that well. Just let it dry, DON'T TOUCH IT.

Edited by Mike C

I'd like to mix Gunze or Tamiya acrylics (mostly standard grays) with some metallic colors to obtain some sheen. Is it possible to mix these paints with Citadel metallics or Talon metallics? Tamiya's metallics are too grainy so I would like to avoid them. I don't have access to Gunze metallics. I'm also aware of the raptor sheen from Hawkeye's, but would prefer Talon if that is an option for my situation. Thanks!

Edited by Janissary

be careful of the Citadel paints with new colour names, being marketed at present

they are pants.... :bandhead2:

their formulation is different,as they have a new manufacturer...

I take it you tried to airbrush the new formula? I just got some of the new citadel paints.....