OT: Earthquake in Italy, not funny

So, tonight at 4 AM got woken up by a quake... a pretty strong one... the chandelier was moving like a pendulum...

No damage or injuries where I live, but some 70km up north, near the epicenter, things went quite different... collapsed buildings and at least 6 known dead...

Now it's all the day we have aftershocks (a couple around 5, 5.1, the others were smaller), tomorrow I'll go to Bologna to see if my office is still there (it should, seems they were really scared there, it's 40 km closer to the epicenter, but no real damage).

I had never experienced such a strong quake... definitely not funny...

Yuri, MY friend I am glad that you are alright ..But it saddens ME to see that people have been killed and injured and damage done...

Damage can be repaired but MY heart goes out to the residents living close by..

It has not been a good few days for Italy ..what with the Bomb killing a student in Brindisi and now this..

MY prayers and thoughts are with all those affected one way or another. :pray::pray::pray::pray:

HOLMES :pray:

Two years ago next month we had a Mag 5 quake approx. 40 kms NE of us here. It started with a loud bang and I thought there had been an accident at the intersection 2 doors down the road from my house. I realized it was a quake when everything started shaking afterwards and went on for about a minute!

As you said it really grabs your attention and is not funny!!

Glad to hear you are OK, condolences to those who lost family.

Yuri, glad to hear you're safe. Earthquakes were never fun nor were they ever funny but our Earth is changing fast so be aware.

Sending my condolences to the families who lost their loved ones out there ... in prayers.

Well, must tell you that...

So I was woken up by the earthquake at 4:00 AM and I knew it was a big one... but had no info on how far (and so how big) it had been... so started scanning TV channels but of course they were all late telling the news....

Facebook instead was alredy full of posts... anyway, after half an hour also the TV started giving news about what had happened. Needless to say no one really wanted to go back to bed.... so I finally fell asleep on the couch at maybe 5:30 AM with the TV still on...

Something you should never do.... because you sleep and you dream... but you still hear the tv...

So I started dreaming I was in Bologna, some damage here and there but in the city center the Curia (the Roman Catholic Church) had arranged a crisis unit... they had big displays and a bishop was giving news on the earthquake and the relief efforts... (yeah, the church and the bishop! not the civil protection department)

Never sleep with the tv on!

Anyway, monday went to see my office and it's still there... a XVI century building and not even some dust or crack!

Some kilometers up north things went quite different... there are about 5000 people either without a home or waiting for the fire department to check if it's safe to come back home.

Good to hear your are safe Yuri.......earthquakes are particularly scray in concrete buildings. I live in a wood framed house in a very active earthquake zone.....but we don't fear eaarthquakes, but this past week I was in the Philippines......an area known to get some nasty earthquakes and all the construction there is concrete. The construction was very much like Haiti in the poor areas.

Bonehammer doin' okay? Saw she logged in recently, but not sure if she's near the affected area or not.

Many thanks for asking, Horrido. I live near the border with Slovenia, far enough that I didn't even wake up.

As luck would have it, I was doing work in the area (NdT in a waste incinerator) and came home a day before the quake... but the hotel where I was staying is still standing, I heard.

Edited by Bonehammer73

Again this morning at 9:03 AM...

I was just in the office, talking with a friend I hadn't seen since the first earthquake... of course we were talking about it when she says "there's a new one". I look at the coathanger and it's shaking like it was alive... oh gosh... again... I'm starting to get fed up.

Seems no major damage here (even if my mother called me to say they have put fences around the chuch because there's a seam on the tower). But up north, near the first epicenter, things went much worse... (5.8 richter) more collapsed buildings, 8 more deaths (maybe more).

I'm starting to get really fed up....

Edited by Yuri

Epicenter was in the Modena area... It was felt strongly in Slovenia as well but did no damage apart from some panic and some evacuated schools.

I didn't feel it though, as it appears working underground (ATC center, not mine :D) negates the effects you feel

Edited by Sebastijan

I was coming back from having worked at Livorno and we stopped for R&R at Bologna Cantagallo, where the motel is suspended above the highway, just in time for the 13:00 shake. We had our radio on the traffic channel, trying to know in advance whether there would be problems on the route, and people were calling all the time to exchange informations. One of the messages was chilling:

"I work in a jail and just finished my shift. The inmates were crying in fear."

Bad as an earthquake might be, there are still places where it can get worse.

Apart from the big ones of today, 9:03 AM and the 2 at 1PM, there were a big number of small quakes...

At first I was just fed up but nothing more, but when I went downstairs I felt like I was drunk for all that shaking.... just couldn't tell anymore if the earth was moving or it was just me... just like when you spend some time on a boat and as you touch land you become landsick...