I'm about 120 miles off the main path and of course it was the one day this whole month that was completely cloudy. So it basically just went a bit darker for a few minutes.

I was able to see it tonight from Kansas Turnpike between El Dorado and Emporia. Shot it with my D300s through my telescope.

DSC_3308.jpg

DSC_3359.jpg

DSC_3375.jpg

DSC_3394.jpg

These are only a couple hours old, unedited. It set when it was about maximum from my location, and it was hard to shoot through the whole atmosphere.

David

The sky clouded up just about a half-hour before it was supposed to start here. We're on edge of the zone anyway..probably would have gotten less than 25% coverage.

Fortunately, there's a total eclipse nearby in 2017.

SN

I saw it on the news - and isn't the whole point about this eclipse is that is called the 'Ring of Fire'.

http://storify.com/gabriellenyc/eclipse-may-2012

Apparently the moon is at its furthest away from Earth - and so doesn't completely cover the Sun's disc - leaving a complete solar ring around the Moon.

I have always found it fascinating that although the Sun is 24(?) times bigger than the Moon, it is also 24 times further away - so from the Earth, both appear the same size during a Solar Eclipse :woot.gif:

Almost as if there were some celestial power behind it........... :whistle:

Ken

We were right in the path of an annular eclipse here back in 1994. It was really awesome. It didn't turn nighttime dark, more like twilight (the real thing, not the emo vampire chick flick.) I went to our (now long gone) local hobby shop, where the telescope department had set up all kind of viewing opportunities.

SN