'63 Impala SS

This year is the 40th anniversary of my high school Class of '72. Back then my best friend had a '63 Impala SS. I'd like to surprise him with a model at our reunion in August. Should I go with the Revell or AMT kit? Also, his car had a 283 with a two-speed automatic, according to his brother. Is there any model kit that comes with a 283 that I could put in the SS?

Thanks

The 1963 Impala SS didn't come with a 283cid engine that I'm aware of. Base model Impala's had the 283. So unless your friend did an engine swap a '63 SS would most likely have a 348cid or a 409cid. If you really want to put a 283cid in the model then you best look for a Impala kit which isn't a Super Sport. Did a quick search at Model Roundup. They show 3 1963 Impala kits but they're all SS versions. HTH.

Glenn

Geared more towards NASCAR, but this should be helpful (particularly the first reply)

http://www.randyayersmodeling.com/modelingforum/viewtopic.php?t=57954&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=&sid=bf1430787e4b92b75203d65d4e50adc5

Unfortunately, both kits are pretty ancient. Revell's is newer, but was co-released as a die cast, so it suffers a few issues from that. AMT's (as mentioned in the thread above) was contemporary, in the days when a one-piece body was super detail.

The 1963 Impala SS didn't come with a 283cid engine that I'm aware of. Base model Impala's had the 283. So unless your friend did an engine swap a '63 SS would most likely have a 348cid or a 409cid. If you really want to put a 283cid in the model then you best look for a Impala kit which isn't a Super Sport. Did a quick search at Model Roundup. They show 3 1963 Impala kits but they're all SS versions. HTH.

Glenn

No 348 in 1963, the 409 replaced the 348. The 327 should be the small block for the 63 model year SS.

Pretty much a 327 and 283 look the same other then decals. No clue what decals the revell kit comes with or trans "I always like 64s so never bought a 63 model of the car".

Pretty much same deal with the automatic transmission a th350 and a (powerglide "2 gears") will pretty much look the same other then shape of the fluid pan, which many people will not even know what to look for or at, anyway.

In my opinion if the kit comes with an auto transmission and a small block, pretty much yah should be good to go. If it only comes with a manual transmission then look for a donor, if one thinks the person is going to be anal when handed the kit.

Personally If it has a small block and a manual transmission I would just fab the shifter and rid the clutch pedal. The person would be looking at other areas he would remember about the car anyway, so most likely the trans etc is a non issue.

Edited by Wayne S