USS Arizona c.1931

Ive decided to do my 1/350 Arizona based on these three photos from the early 30's. Other than removing the splinter shields, any other mods I have to make? Using the Hobby Box kit. She look almost white in the pic so I would think that is a really light gray? Is this the overall #5 Haze Gray? How wide is the black stripe along the hull? Would anyone happen to have leftover Range Clocks from a PE set? The Toms Model Works PE doesn't have them.

Thanks,

Chris

d190ee9a.jpg

177c4a97.jpg

41b44a2b.jpg

Edited by kg4kpg

The light gray is #5 Standard Navy Gray (not to be confused with Haze Gray, which did not come into use until 1941). Steel decks were painted #20 Standard Deck Gray, and wood decks were natural teak. The boot topping was black, and the underwater hull was Norfolk 65-A Antifouling Red. You'll find the USN colors accurately matched here:

https://www.whiteensignmodels.com/c/Pre1945+US+Navy+Colours/46/1/

• 2 weeks later...

Structurally, note the "clover" deck on the mainmast (aft mast). in 1941 these had search lights on each of the clover "leaves." Throughout most of the '30's these were blank.

Also on the foremast, on the left and right on the highest "true" deck level of the bridge structure, the boxlike structures are absent until only a couple of years before the attack--these are AA directors. Very noticable to anyone backdating (I'm blessed to know 2 of the guys who got out of the portside director via a line connecting them to the USS Vestal).

The catwalk decking on the stack is different; she had the searchlights there instead of on the mainmast clover back then.

On both the masttops, in '41 she had "stuff" added up there; a "bird bath" on the main mast in which there were machine gun positions, and on the foremast she had just received the mounting for an AA search radar (never got the set, ironically, but the mounting was there). As you can see, in the '30's this was all bare on top.

On the fantail, she had not yet received a crane with which to recover the scout planes. Much simpler structure as you can see.

Also on the foremast, the yardarms ("arms" sticking out the sides of the mast top) are very simple in the '30's. The PH version has VERY reinforced yardarms, each a lattice of superstructure framework like a crane. This is easily visible in the photos of her smoldering after the explosion.

One other thing, not sure what the kit has anchorwise, but originally she was fitted with 4 anchors, but after her refit in the '30's she emerged with only 3 as a weight-saving measure, I believe.

Good luck on this; I can try to help you with any questions on the Arizona. :cheers:

• 3 months later...

I've been progressing slowly due to summer military stuff and school is a bear but I got the metal barrels glued on to replace the plactic barrels and the bottom hull painted. This is going to take me a while I'm sure. My next question is regarding aircraft. The kit has the Kingfishers and I need O3U Corsairs. Does anyone do them in 1/350 or can I trim up some SOC Seagulls to get what I want?

Since I have to remove the molded-on gun shields, is a wood deck kit the way to so? Which brand and how well do they blend into the kit at the seams?

Thanks again,

Chris

Edited by kg4kpg

The kit has the Kingfishers and I need O3U Corsairs. Does anyone do them in 1/350 or can I trip up some SOC Seagulls to get what I want?

Trumpeter does. 1/350 SOC Secgulls <-- Click on Link

Most fo the online hobby shops have these or can get them.

Not sure about the wood decks. I have never used them.

Good luck and don't forget to post some picutres.

Edited by BrockyTaz
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

After getting the Trumpeter 1:200 kit as a gift, I bought the Squadron At Sea book about the Arizona and strongly suggest anyone building an Arizona model do the same. The info and detailed photos are great! I also had no clue she had torpedo tubes!!!