Flying Wing(s) in 1/144

I picked up this old 1/72 Amiot 143 by Heller a while back on the cheap. I figured just as is it's pretty far out there and as a bonus has some nice big spats:

helleramiot143box.jpg

This kit (with some added parts) will eventually be two aircraft. Of course, I started with the first and easiest (yeah, right) project: cutting the wings to make a flying wing.

FlyingWingprog_01.jpg

I planned to omit the engine nacelles, but one seemed to make a nice 1/144 scale nose. I found a piece of pointy clear blisterpack that was a good fit:

FlyingWingprog_06.jpg

I liked the kit spats but in 1/144 they'd be around 11 feet tall, way too big. Fortunately, the spat stash came to the rescue:

FlyingWingprog_02.jpg

The twin tails are fins from a sub kit and the engines are twin-row radials from Aeroclub. I've got some four-bladed Aeroclub props for this project too.

Bri2k

This is what it looked like after I slapped on a primer coat of gesso:

FlyingWingprimer_01.jpg

FlyingWingprimer_02.jpg

While gesso's not an ideal primer, it's good for me because I have lots of it and it'll still give the regular paint something to grab onto.

Are you guys hungry?

buffalowingstray.jpg

Bri2k

Edited by Bri2k

Having married into money in 1929, Jack Northrop was finally able to seriously pursue his dream of large, flying wing aircraft. After two years of work in great secrecy, the Northrop Flying Wing Transport (FWT) took to the air.

FlyingWing004.jpg

FlyingWing003.jpg

FlyingWing008.jpg

FlyingWing004.jpg

continued...

Bri2k

Northrop's revolutionary design paid bonuses in performance, but few airlines of the time were willing to gamble on such an unconvential aircraft. He was forced to launch his own airline in an attempt to prove the radical new design and so Flying Wing Airlines was born.

FlyingWing006.jpg

FlyingWing007.jpg

The first passenger flight took off with great fanfare:

first_flight_with_wings.jpg

Due to the Flying Wing Transport's unique flight characteristics, things could get tense in the cockpit:

drinkforthepilots.jpg

Jack Northrop's FWT appeared to be the new flying wonder of the age.

FlyingWing005.jpg

FlyingWing009.jpg

continued...

Bri2k

While the flight from Mt. Vernon, Ohio to Keokuk, Iowa was uneventful, everyone on board raved about the buffalo wings.

western-union-theyve-got-wings.jpg

Demand for those delicious wings forced Flying Wing Airlines to serve them on every flight.

stewardesseswithwings.jpg

The airline was a huge success.

Then the "Sacre Bleu!" bleu cheese blight hit hard and it became impossible to enjoy buffalo wings. Ranch dressing was tried as a substitute and deemed a dismal failure. This and the deepening depression caused Flying Wing Airlines to fold after only a short time in business.

While Flying Wing Airlines and the FWT were soon forgotten, Jack Northrop used the experience to refine his flying wing designs which led to development of the B-2 bomber.

FlyingWing012.jpg

FlyingWing011.jpg

Bri2k

The model is painted in Model Masters Semi-Gloss White and the decals are mostly leftovers from a sheet of Eastern Airlines livery by ATP.

Here's a couple of glamor shots:

FlyingWing010.jpg

FlyingWing008.jpg

Bri2k

That is quite different, but neat, I like flying wings. The captions and storyline are quite creative as well.

The only critical comment I would make is the nose / cockpit looks far to modern for the 1930s. It looks like it came from a jet airliner, a glazed nose like the He-111 or B-29 would be more belivable to me.

Otherwise it looks great. :cheers:

• 1 month later...