NMF vs Silver on Soviet Jets

I am sure Flankerman is crying now seeing this photo.

It's on the Sukhoi ramp at Zhukovsky.

day06_025.jpg

The only time I got up close and personal is when they rolled it out in 2004 - but there was torrential rain all day.... :crying2:

day01_01.jpg

day01_04.jpg

I hope they preserve it - it's a significant aircraft - it took all the climb-to-height records from the Streak Eagle.

They seem to be in the process of making a museum at Zhukovsky - lets hope it ends up there.......

day1_044.JPG

Ken

Question - if you are going to go to the trouble of painting a combat aircraft, why would you paint it silver? Why not a more "tactical" color like grey? I can understand leaving aircraft NM to save weight / maintenance but otherwise, why deliberately paint it a bright color like silver? Why not paint it glossy red for that matter?

Because almost any airplane painted almost any color you choose becomes a little black dot beyond a certain distance.

Hi Ken,

Lets hope they will not waste this aircraft as they did so many others in the past!

The natural metal was just a trend from the end of WW2 and Korea, low-vis was far in the future in those days. Jennings is right a fighter is just a grey speck in the distance no matter what colour it is!

Best regards

Gabor

It is sad that they have already lost the front of the windshield to the elements. :( :( :( It has gone completely yellow and opaque just as our MiG-23 windshields! It is very simple, if you don't cover it up the special plexi glass is ruined by long term exposure to the sun!

Best regards

Gabor

It is sad that they have already lost the front of the windshield to the elements. :( :( :( It has gone completely yellow and opaque just as our MiG-23 windshields! It is very simple, if you don't cover it up the special plexi glass is ruined by long term exposure to the sun!

Best regards

Gabor

This type of glass is prone to yellowing regardless of the weather!!! It can't be protected.

This type of glass is prone to yellowing regardless of the weather!!! It can't be protected.

The ones we had did have a slight yellow tint in service, but they went opaque only after withdrawal and when they were not covered up any longer!

The P-42 has been around for some time. Have a look at the fast deterioration in the past few years!

Best regards

Gabor

On the MiG-23, MiG-25 series, some of the Su-27 (P42 among others) was used special heat-resistant fluorine based glass E-2 (12mm) for windshield, but then turned away because of the serious environmental challenges in the production and switched back to organic glass AO-120. Over the time it became clear that in addition to all other problems, the glass of the E-2 is light sensitive and with especially strong yellowing if exposed to strong sun. Canopy was made from SO-120 glass.

Edited by bungynik

Hi Bungynik,

Thanks for the info. I had it somewhere also but could not find it. Yes it does not like sunlight as the Hungarian AF personal has found out at Papa AFB the home base of the MiG-23 fleet. It had a very nice light yellow tint similar to the "smoked" canopy of the F-16's. The MiG-23 canopies had turned completely opaque only after long term open storage without covers from year 2000.

Best regards

Gabor

Hi Bungynik,

Thanks for the info. I had it somewhere also but could not find it. Yes it does not like sunlight as the Hungarian AF personal has found out at Papa AFB the home base of the MiG-23 fleet. It had a very nice light yellow tint similar to the "smoked" canopy of the F-16's. The MiG-23 canopies had turned completely opaque only after long term open storage without covers from year 2000.

Best regards

Gabor

Yes, and it is interesting that "tinted" E-2 windshields were introduced on late production models of Su-27... I think during the production of 26th series or starting with 27th series.

Edited by bungynik