CD48013 - Air National Guard F-102A

The ANG F-102 sheet is also going to the printers tomorrow. I had done most of these markings as ALPS-printed decals from the Kedi Decals line years ago, now it's time to release them as silkscreen decals from Cartograf.

The options on this sheet are:

* Texas ANG (111st FIS): The ANG unit that former president George W. Bush had served with. (Case X wing)

* Hawaii ANG (199th FIS): Colorful tail band. (Case X and Case XX wing options)

* Pennsylvania ANG (146th FIS): These aircraft had a very striking black tail and spine. (Case XX wing)

* Idaho ANG (190th FIS), SEA camouflage with cool sharkmouth (Case X wing)

Stencilling for one aircraft. There is obviously a second, smaller sheet with the US national insignia and US AIR FORCE markings, I will post an image of it later.

This will be released at the same time as the F-101 sheet, around the end of June. A 1/72 version will come later in the summer or fall.

I will post profiles in a couple days. Thanks!

cd48013draft2.jpg

First, let me say I'm excited about these decals! I'm curious about the color on the trim of the Pittsburg airplane. It looks like the stripes on the drop tanks and rudder are white on your sheet? Also, can't quite make out the color of the Pittsburg legend for the tail....light yellow maybe? I built a Tf-102 in Pittsburgh colors a while ago and really struggled with what colors to use. The reference photos I found varied greatly, some showing the trim to be white, some a cream color and some yellow or gold. I ended up painting the trim a yellow color matched to the 1970s Pittsburg steelers uniform as a guess. I was wondering if you had similar problems in your research and I'm interested in hearing what you found.

Thanks, and great job with the decals

Corey

I'm curious about the color on the trim of the Pittsburg airplane. It looks like the stripes on the drop tanks and rudder are white on your sheet? Also, can't quite make out the color of the Pittsburg legend for the tail....light yellow maybe? I built a Tf-102 in Pittsburgh colors a while ago and really struggled with what colors to use. The reference photos I found varied greatly, some showing the trim to be white, some a cream color and some yellow or gold. I ended up painting the trim a yellow color matched to the 1970s Pittsburg steelers uniform as a guess. I was wondering if you had similar problems in your research and I'm interested in hearing what you found.

Hi Corey,

I used quite a few PA ANG F-102 photos while designing these decals, and my conclusion is that the rudder, drop tank decorations and the stripe on the front landing gear well door are an off-white color similar to FS37778 or FS37886. I used an off-white color in my designs, but it ends up being almost indistingushable from white when I exported it to the JPG image I used above. I have instructed the printer to use the correct color during printing, though. The serial number and the "Pennsylvania" legend are certainly white.

I provided both Case X and Case XX options: while the Encore kit is Case XX, there are a lot of older Monogram/Revell Case X kits in stashes all around the world. Units seem to have used only one type or the other, so providing Case XX options for units like 111 FIS and the Idaho ANG was not possible.

Kursad

Edited by KursadA
  • 2 months later...

This information should help.

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=177494

The decal sheet instructions specify which options are Case XX (anything after 56-1317 I believe). Basically every boxing after the original release and the latest Encore rebox has the Case X wing that you need.

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:21 PM

madmanrick, on Feb 9 2009, 05:23 AM, said:

That sure makes better sense to me, than doing it the way I tried by buying multiple versions in the hopes of getting the one I needed. Fortunately, I need at least 2 versions of the Case XX anyway. But, I do second that resin option, I'd buy at least 2 sets myself!

Rick

I finally dug up the old kit. I have one now and will take a look and (maybe) do the tips.

I'll let ya'll know what I think when I get a chance to see if it is do-able.

Cheers,

Harold

Maybe we should remind Harold that a set of resin Case X wingtips would still be a useful accessory.

Edited by KursadA

This information should help.

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=177494

The decal sheet instructions specify which options are Case XX (anything after 56-1317 I believe). Basically every boxing after the original release and the latest Encore rebox has the Case X wing that you need.

Maybe we should remind Harold that a set of resin Case X wingtips would still be a useful accessory.

According to reviews on Modeling Madness and Hyperscale the Encore kit is the Case XX wing,Can anyone confirm that?

OK I've just looked at a few more reviews and the encore kit does have the Case XX wings.

Edited by Stephen
  • 2 months later...