1/48 HH-60H Rescuehawk detailing project

Hi guys, here's my new project since finishing my CH-46E, the Skunkworks HH-60H and I am using all the aftermarket goodies like Eduard, Wolfpack, Armycast, and Cobra Company. I am also giving it my scratchbulding treatment and plan on opening it up as much as I can. I started on the cockpit and as can be seen I am using the Eduard set (color PE installed after painting) and I added the bays below the seats that have some avoinics in them. I scratchbuilt the seats since neither the kit, Eduard or the CC seats were correct so that took a while, and I still have to add the armour to them. Up ahead I have to add the whole interior to the cabin as it has some sort of sound proofing (it's blue or green in photos) on all the walls and ceiling. A lot of work ahead.

In the meantime I started on the fuselage and added rivet details and cut open panels I plan on detailing and as can be seen I tackeled one of the electrical juncton boxes. Lot's more to come but that's where I am at the start. Everett

027.jpg

031.jpg

030.jpg

021.jpg

029.jpg

026.jpg

021.jpg

020.jpg

018.jpg

Edited by evnewsphoto

Everett

Good to see you have started on another year(s) long project. :woot.gif:

C130crewchief posted pics of the under seat compartment on my old MH-60L build, they might be helpful.

Following with interest.

mason

Hi guys, thanks for the good words, Mason how's your Blackhawk coming? I think I did use those pics you had on your build, I used a Navy photo for the right hand seat though since the Blackhawks have different stuff in there than Navy birds.

I have another open panel done for you guys to see, it's on the rear below the engine exhaust. From what I have figured out it's a computer for the nav system I think, it says Litton systems on the black boxes (grey really) and it's mounted on the back of the fuel cell. I made the fuel cell by textureing some plastic by weting it with Tamyia thin glue then pressing it into wire mess. The boxes are from resin leftovers (I always save the pour blocks for this reason) and some brass and soda aluminum was used. I am not 100% sure about the side towards the tail since the photo does not show it, but I am guessing there is a rib there based on other photos I have. I mounted the liquid lines (not sure what they carry) to that as can be seen. I will make the door latter on.

Real panel for refrence;

choppers158.jpg

A composite pic of the work, very tiny and my lame camera does not zoom in very well;

comp.jpg

The rib before I installed it;

013.jpg

018-1.jpg

017.jpg

016.jpg

014.jpg

Painting it will be a *****, it's tight in there but I'll figure it out somehow. Everett

Everett

Good start. Sometimes you have to paint the whole unit once put together before you install it in its place. it does help with painting.

I like it so far.

Oliver

I also want to give a big shout of and thanks to Bob Smith who has been sending me great photos of the MH-60S from the Skiorsky factory where he works. And even though there are differences in the types it has been very helpful and he keeps sending me more! I want to share them with everybody and maybe they can help you guys too. I can only build one kit at a time but I do want to a MH-60S someday and now there's that conversion set....

Thanks Bob!

Electrical junctions;

RtExternalE-BayMH-60R.jpg

LtExternalE-BayMH-60R.jpg

ECS

ECSCompMH-60S.jpg

ECSCompMH-60S3.jpg

ECSCompMH-60S2.jpg

Oliver, you snuck that in while I was posting, good to hear from you! I thought about painting it then installing but I am trying to be better about glue and I find it makes for a cleaner build if I paint after it's in. At least I've got the open panel to paint through. Everett

Oliver, you snuck that in while I was posting, good to hear from you! I thought about painting it then installing but I am trying to be better about glue and I find it makes for a cleaner build if I paint after it's in. At least I've got the open panel to paint through. Everett

Everett

You would get a sharper look if u paint first then glue. If u paint after its in u will not get paint coverage everywhere therefore leaving unpainted areas exposed.

Build the inside frame first paint it then installed your piece, you can always add the back wall if needed then glue from behind with a touch of super glue....stay away from thin tamiya glue cause it will run and mess up your paint work on the walls.

Nice to hear from you.

Oliver

• 1 month later...

Hard to get time in on the model but here is a few things I have been up to, first is the refueling panel;

003.jpg

Correcting APU exhaust and building up area near HISS

002.jpg

Same build up on the other side WIP;

004.jpg

Been doing lot's of test fitting with HISS which I cut up and have been trying to get to look right also. More to come when I can get to it, Everett

• 3 weeks later...

Well guys, I am turning back inside the cabin and realized I had to paint the electrical junction box and glue it in first, so here it is;IMG_0863.jpg

IMG_0867.jpgIMG_0870.jpg

Now I can start building up the interior walls and the roof, it's going to be a lot of work since the Rescue hawks (as well as the Ocean hawk and Jay hawks) all have a thick, blue, smooth surface that has lot's of indented stuff like the winch controls next to the door for example, and the roof has radio switches and mounts for the seats cutout. I think it must be for soundproofing but not sure. Everett

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey guys, been ages I know, been very busy racing my snowboard, had my best results so far last weekend at a North America Cup, 15th in GS and 12th SL. For you non-alpine snowboard racers the Nor-am is the US pro tour, and a world cup qualifier, my goal at the start of the year was just to make top 30, let alone get into finals (top 16 men) so having a good year so far. I am also the only 40 year old at the race, most of the riders are half my age!

Alright the model, here is the finished scratch built interior that I have been chipping away at. As you can see lot's of detail made from evergreen stock and had to modify kit parts like the roof, also the avionics racks built from scratch. In case you are wondering why I did not use the Cobra Co. parts, they are way too big and would not fit in the model. Nothing against Chris, just don't think they were test fitted. Alright now I can throw on some paint and then close the fuselage.

Still lot's ahead, the whole dog house interior needs to be built up, engines (have the Armycast parts) transmission, drive shaft (tail rotor) and the forward doghouse where the hydraulics live. My buddy who was a crew chief on these birds once (served in the 90s with HS-8) calls this area Fat *** Lady, because that was the order- forward, aft lateral- for the flight control linkage.

Everett

http://s121.beta.photobucket.com/user/evnewsphoto/media/IMG_0305_zps519e6035.jpg.html

Everett, your build is coming along great. All that detail in 1/48 scale is amazing! Keep up the good work. In school, we were taught to remember "landing after flight" for the position of the lateral, aft, and primary flight control servos.

Everett, your build is coming along great. All that detail in 1/48 scale is amazing! Keep up the good work. In school, we were taught to remember "landing after flight" for the position of the lateral, aft, and primary flight control servos.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, been a long time, too busy with kids, work and snowboarding. I am almost done painting the cabin but had to take a bit to scratch build all the stick and collectives along with the FLIR controller. The parts out of the box are no good and only one of the collectives was used as a basis to add to, and no FLIR controller at all in the kit. As you can see lot's of tiny little buttons I added were stretched sprue (blue color helps) and even some Tamyia tape for the boots and such. Soon I will post the rest of the cabin pics when it's all painted and weathered, then I can join the fuselage, thanks for looking! Everett

IMG_0752_zpsf78fd502.jpg

IMG_0760_zps9d98626b.jpg

IMG_0759_zpsa9224696.jpg

IMG_0757_zps623aa9ca.jpg

IMG_0756_zps2caa2922.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, ready to close up the fuselage, interior is all installed, painted and last details added. I had to add the curved panels to the roof for example as a last step (just some curved plastic sheet) and some extra weathering, in the sandy environments these Helos fly in they get some brown staining on the edges of everything and the floor of course. Now the really work begins on the doghouse detailing.....

IMG_1177_zps1618ba21.jpg''IMG_1176_zpsffb5d7e9.jpgIMG_1171_zpsf0b47bfd.jpgIMG_1170_zps30957f08.jpgIMG_1169_zps2c921c1d.jpg