CD72008: F-35B Lightning

Note: I cancelled this project (see my later post).

Here is 1/72 decal sheet project for the Fujimi F-35B kit. More details and profiles coming later this week.

The sheet will include markings for every F-35B in existence (with the exception of BF-01) as of May 2012. The Fujimi kit already has markings for the BF-01, the colorfully marked first example.

The options on the sheet are:

* Test airframes BF-02, BF-03, BF-04 and BF-05; including USS WASP carrier trials markings for BF-02 and BF-04.

* Every USMC F-35B delivered to VMFAT-501 at Eglin so far. (BF-06 through BF-14)

* First UK example (BK-01)

The profiles below show only three of the 14 options on the sheet.

Needless to say, I will scale this up to 1/48 as soon as the Kitty Hawk F-35B shows up.

f35bpromo.jpg

Edited by KursadA
  • 4 weeks later...

Durrnit, Kursad! now i need to track down another f-35. How difficult would it be to make decals for the light grey areas suroundiong some of the panel lines? They look like a real nightmare to paint.

Edited by rustywelder

Durrnit, Kursad! now i need to track down another f-35. How difficult would it be to make decals for the light grey areas suroundiong some of the panel lines? They look like a real nightmare to paint.

This is one of the ideas that I am entertaining. At any rate, now I don't think I will get around to releasing this before late Fall; so I will have some time to refine the design.

Edited by KursadA

This is one of the ideas that I am entertaining. At any rate, now I don't think I will get around to releasing this before late Fall; so I will have some time to refine the design.

And get it to fit the 1/144 Pit Road kit? :woot.gif:

Wouldn't this allow the builder to do that teal primer scheme?

Edited by Supertom
  • 2 weeks later...

Folks, I am cancelling this project for the time being. The kit has become pretty difficult to find; and a 1/48 decal sheet is probably not viable because of the overlap with the upcoming KittyHawk 1/48 F-35B kit sheet. I will definitely put this artwork to use when there are more F-35B marking options in the future.

The item number CD72008 will most likely be assigned to the second 1/72 Global Air Power Series sheet (DPRK/Iran Mig-29).

Edited by KursadA
  • 5 months later...

It looks interesting; but as you said, the Fujimi kit is a -B and is still very difficult to find. I will not even consider a 1/48 sheet until there are more schemes. Kitty Hawk made it very difficult for aftermarket manufacturers to do an F-35 sheet by putting every possible marking on the kit decal sheet.

• 4 months later...

This sheet (and the corresponding 1/48 sheet) is back on the drawing table. Now that there is also a 1/48 F-35A kit and a few more operational markings, I think there is an opportunity to put together a new decal sheet to cover both variants in both scales. The new Edwards jets, RAF and Dutch markings will all be there; along with a few others. I will also see what I can do about the light grey areas on the jets..

True, but gray printing is the one thing I can't do myself. And I plan to build many, many F-35s...

The alternative is what I originally planned: gray primer, a blank decal sheet, and plenty of new razor blades.

• 4 weeks later...

This sheet (and the corresponding 1/48 sheet) is back on the drawing table. Now that there is also a 1/48 F-35A kit and a few more operational markings, I think there is an opportunity to put together a new decal sheet to cover both variants in both scales. The new Edwards jets, RAF and Dutch markings will all be there; along with a few others. I will also see what I can do about the light grey areas on the jets..

Still thinking about this?