...... P-40 Warhawk/Tomahwak/Kittyhawk.

..... A-4 Skyhawk.

..... B-36 Peacemaker.

There are other Aircrafts whose names I like very much but too many to mention...{TOMCAT :wub: }..

helos:

.....AH-1 COBRA.

.....CH-53 Sea Stallion.

..... SH-3 Seaking...

HOLMES :wub:

I mean seriously... how do you compete with that?

For those of another persuasion maybe?

Antonov 22 - Nato code name.....

Edited by MattC

Spitfire, Seafire, Vulcan, Argus, Valkyrie.

I only know one Russian name - Su-25 is called "grach" which means crow or something like that...

The MiG 29UB is called the "Sparka" and I have no idea what that means "pair" probably referring to the fact that the UB is the two seater trainer version.

The MiG 21 was known as a "Balalaika" maybe because it has a similar shape to the instrument or "Veselyi" - Merry. owing to it's small size and quick maneuverability.

MiG 23 was known as the "Krokodil" The Crocodile because of it's long snout and streamlined shape.

MiG 25 was known as the "Letaushchii gastronom" - Flying Liquor Store. MiG-25 uses incredible amounts of alcohol based deicing fluid causing numerous cases of alcoholism among its pilots and ground crews.

MiG 27 - "Utkonos" - duckbilled platypus - owing to it's flat beak shaped nose or "Kondor" condor.

The Single-seater MiG 29 - "Strizh" - Swift.

Su-25 - "Gratch" - Rook.

Su-27 - "Zhuravlik" - Baby Stork.

Su-27K/IB/M - "Triplan" - because of its canards.

Su-37 was known as the Terminator in Russia.

Tu-22M - Slepoj Dzhek - Blind Jack - due to the small windows.

Some of the Russian names are extremely hilarious. :D Gotta love their sense of humor. :woot.gif:

:D, Any aircraft named after a creature has a cool name as far as I'm concerned. All the bird names, the mammal names, fish names and insect names inspire me. Just a couple of native Russian aircraft names (not the NATO reporting names); back in the 1930s Yakovlev designed a racer that was called the Krechyet or Gerfalcon and there was the Sukhoi S-47 Berkut or Golden Eagle. There have been over the years several aircraft called Sokol which from memory is some kind of Hawk, maybe a Kestrel I think.

Then there's the Czech L-29 Delphin (Dolphin) and L-39 Albatros (same in English, just a different spelling).

Of course in the west there have been many creature names, both official and unofficial. Now for a few Aussie names, the Winjeel, which means Young Eagle, The CA-15 which was nicknamed the Kangaroo because of its habit of bouncing around on its undercarriage during taxying, the Nomad (yes we humans are also considered to be animals by some,) and the Jabiru.

I also like weapon and weather names names especially for the more aggressive types of aircraft. Sabre, Tempest, Mirage, Typhoon, Tornado etc.

:cheers:,

Ross.

:rofl:

Isn't there one called the "Vibrator"?

The Vought SB2U Vindicator was nicknamed the Vibrator or Wind Indicator, the British also got a batch they called the Chesapeake, and the crews refered to as Cheasecakes. Not well respected dive bomber I'm guessing. :whistle:

While not exactly oozing coolness I like the LaGG-3 which Soviet pilots called the Varnished Guaranteed Coffin due to its varnished wood construction.

The FW-190's nickname Butcher Bird sounds like it means business.

:D, Not only because of its construction Aaron, but it apparently also had a bad habit of crashing with the pilot still in the cockpit, guaranteeing that it also became his/her coffin in the fires of cremation. It was apparently not an aircraft for the inexperienced tyro pilot.

:cheers:,

Ross.