Delta Humvees/Dumvees.

Hi. I am doing a little research for a diorama idea that I have. It involves a Humvee operated by Delta around 1994. I am not even sure that Delta used the Humvee at that time. Did they use the Humvee during Operation Desert Storm? If they did use the Humvee in 1994, what overall colour would they have been? And what version of the Humvee would these guys have likely been using at that time?

The only references I can find in relation to Special Ops Humvees cover the Dumvees from Operation Iraqi Freedom. Any help would be appreciated. My guess is that it might be in a similar general configuration to this Israeli Humvee, with the TOW system replaced by a 50 Cal.

http://www.warwheels.net/images/idFhumvee_HamerOrevHendriks13.jpg

(Photo and model by Erik Hendriks.)

Thanks.

LD.

Delta didn't really use HMMWVS during the mid-90s. Delta and Rangers mainly used the RSOV, Ranger Special Ops Vehicle, which was a specially designed Land Rover 110.

rsov.gif

LandyDefenderRSOVdod%20(1).JPEG

Hobby Boss does a model of one.

10159948.jpg

Delta also used the FAV, Fast Attack Vehicle, which was a custom built Chenowth dune buggy. Unfortunately, there is no accurate kit of it. Hobby Fan does a resin kit that is labeled as a FAV, but it is not.

2-32.jpg

Hobby Fan's inaccurate "FAV".

hfn009.jpg

There were a few HMMWVs used by Special Ops guys in Operation Desert Storm ('90-'91) to hunt Scuds deep in Iraq. They were not really modified, but pretty much just stripped down M998s that had brown squiggles painted on them for camo.

delta-force-scud-hunters.jpg

Edited by HeavyArty

Thanks Gino. Unfortunately I want to build one in 1/72 scale. Maybe a suitable 1/72 Land Rover can be converted. There are a couple of Land Rover kits in 1/72 and 1/76 so I'll see if one has the correct length of chassis and maybe start from there. Thanks.

LD.

• 2 months later...

Thanks Gino. Unfortunately I want to build one in 1/72 scale. Maybe a suitable 1/72 Land Rover can be converted. There are a couple of Land Rover kits in 1/72 and 1/76 so I'll see if one has the correct length of chassis and maybe start from there. Thanks.

LD.

If you are wanting a HMMWV in 1/72nd scale, Dragon and Revell of Germany have kits. As Gino stated you could use a M998 as a base vehicle. You might be able to get by with some artistic license on an M1025 HMMWV due to lack of HMMWV reference for the period.