Last Flying Vulcan Out Of Commision

The last airworthy Vulcan was seriously damaged during an engine test run earlier this week. During the test run, the ground crew neglected to remove bags of silica gel (a desiccant), which where ingested into the number 1 engine, causing it to shed turbine blades. The debris from engine number 1 then impacted neighboring engine 2, causing irreparable damage to this engine as well.

Sounds like this aircraft may never get airworthy again. Sad....

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-dewline/2012/05/silica-gel-mishap-grounds-vulc.html

Desiccant accident... wow.

Well it's sad end, but that bird was on borrowed time anyways.

Doesn't it use the same engines that the Concord did?

Cheers to those who got to see it fly!

Oooooooooooooops. Sad to hear. One comment poster stated that the group has spare engines. Hopefully that's true and they're able to get her back into the air.

Ouch! :crying2:

Funding for this project is always very tight. I'm not sure whether there is a contingency built into the budget for these sort of unforseen events. :unsure:

I sincerely hope that they get XH558 in the air again. I feel very priviledged to have seen her fly in recent years.

Thanks for the heads-up 11bee

Cheers,

:cheers:

Actually, 558 had taken the runway at the time and the crew was starting their takeoff roll when the incident happened...

I wouldn't totally write the aircraft off just yet

These fine folks who have kept her flying haven't given up yet

Actually, 558 had taken the runway at the time and the crew was starting their takeoff roll when the incident happened...

I wouldn't totally write the aircraft off just yet

Wow, those guys got lucky. Would have been awful if those engines got FOD'ed after they rotated. Not sure if a Vulcan can stay airborne post-takeoff with two engines out, also wonder if the pilot's ejection seats are still live or if they were deactivated like most US jet warbirds?

Hope they can find the money and spare engines to get that beautiful bird back in the air.

given what it took to get her flying again, I seriously doubt they'll give up if there's any chance. The public will, especially over here, to see her flying was nothing short of astounding.

I certainly hope the damage is repairable and get this beautiful bird back in the air. I had the enormous priviledge and enjoyment of seeing several of them fly back when they were still on active duty.

Darwin

It's sad to see how readily some will divulge bad news, but then can't wait for those closest to the project to issue a statement. Damage was confined to the engines, with none to the airframe, so accident inspectors have no need to get involved; the team have spare engines, and hope to have them fitted in time for XH558 to appear at RIAT in a few weeks time.

Edgar

Apparently the big issue is(was?) a lack of spare, flight-worthy engines.

If they have 4 flyable ones, she can get airborne and continue to display.

But without any contingency spare engines, if she goes unserviceable with engine problems at an 'away' airfield then that's it.

That's where she stays - no way to get her home.

I hope she will continue to grace our skies for some time yet.

Ken

the team have spare engines, and hope to have them fitted in time for XH558 to appear at RIAT in a few weeks time.

Edgar

Here is a link to their site showing how they are already replacing the engines. She will fly again. I hope to see her once again.

http://www.vulcantothesky.org/news/355/82/Hangar-pictures.html

Hi Edgar and streetstream, thanks for the good news and the link

I hope she will continue to grace our skies for some time yet.

Ken

Here, here.

:cheers:

• 1 month later...

Whew!!!...that is a relief and then some, for an icon of a bygone era that occupied a majority of the 20th century to be relegated to the realm of film, and print would be a disaster of epic proportions. One would think that the UK would see to it that all that could be done to preserve the valiant warrior would be done. It seems that "What have you done for me lately" is raising it's ugly head. Her and her sisters kept a valiant guard for many years and did a major part in preserving that present to insure a future.

Whew!!!...that is a relief and then some, for an icon of a bygone era that occupied a majority of the 20th century to be relegated to the realm of film, and print would be a disaster of epic proportions. One would think that the UK would see to it that all that could be done to preserve the valiant warrior would be done. It seems that "What have you done for me lately" is raising it's ugly head. Her and her sisters kept a valiant guard for many years and did a major part in preserving that present to insure a future.

Wish the USAF had a different approach as well. I would have killed to see an airworthy B-58!!

Wish the USAF had a different approach as well. I would have killed to see an airworthy B-58!!

Wow, that would have been something! ((in announcer speak... 'And coming from the East in it's high speed pass... the B-58 Hustleeeerrrr....'

with all that polished metal!