Last Flying Vulcan Out Of Commision

She did her first display for the season at RIAT on Saturday. It was a bit um.. "carefully" executed. But on sunday, the pilot obviously had got his display routine back together, and the mighty Vulcan howl was on from the very start of the display. Magnificent!

Me and my pal was however wishing for a dual display act, Vulcan and B-2.. :-)

I'm thinking an Argentine conscript at Stanley Airport wouldn't so much appreciate that view ;)

That reminds me of a cartoon I saw once that dates back to the time of the Falklands. I don't know the origin of it, but an RAF wing commander used it in a slide presentation he gave our model club for Operatation Black Buck. It had two Argentinean conscripts watching a Vulcan dropping some eggs on the airstrip. One turned to the other and said "Ay Caramba! If their planes are that big, imagine the size of their aircraft carrier!"

• 3 months later...

Sounds like 2013 will be the last year that the Vulcan will be airworthy. Airframe requires some very expensive work after that, also they are down to only two spare engines.

This is all contingent on the trust raising approx $1,000,000 needed for the 2013 season.

Sad......

As one of the few North Americans who actually got to see this Vulcan fly (at Abbotsford)...this is a sad situation. There is nothing like the sight of a Vulcan lifting off the runway and then soaring overhead in a great ARC (Mind allowing lower case letters - not all ARC letter combos typed are an abbrev. of Aircraft Resource Center) while watching those massive curved delta wings. The Avro Vulcan was truly a sight to behold.

Edited by The_Animal