1/48th Hasegawa F-4J boxing

I have just acquired a set of 1/48th decals for the "Blue Angels" F-4J and am looking for a Hasegawa kit to go with it. There are plenty available but I'm getting lost in the multitude of different boxings!

Any recommendations on which is preferable (newer moulding, engraved panel lines etc)?

Derek

Hi, Derek.

If you want to research the contents of a kit before buying, MM's kit research is quite useful.

http://www.modelingmadness.com/splfeat/kr/has48d.htm

In the fourth column the F-4's with raised panel lines have the remark (raised).

I believe that the Blue Angel F-4J's were exceptional in that they had the B-model's engines or at least the B-model exhausts.

I'm not sure if all Blue Angel F-4J's were like that.

Cheers, Stefan.

I think you just want to avoid the F-4J kits with 12XX kit numbers, since they have raised panel lines.

Cobra Company sells some very nice resin short AB nozzles for your Blue Angels build. They're much less expensive than Eduard's or Aires'.

Ben

The Blue Angels F-4J used Both short and long engines. If you have a choice in AM engine nozzle, decide on the year (crew names on canopies) and engine installed. And with the fake Sparrows, those are the smoke canisters & they have a thin tube facing down that can be replicated by wire.

Hi,

You're welcome, Derek.

I had a look at some F-4 pictures and like phasephantomphixer says, the Blue Angels had F-4J's with both types of engines.

Another thing I found about the Blue Angels is that the fake Sparrows were initially painted blue for the forward pair and yellow for the rear pair. But for the 1973 season, the forward pair was also painted yellow.

Ben,

Thanks for the tip about the Cobra Company nozzles.

While we're on the subject of F-4's...

*Did anyone ever produce seats for naval F-4's in 1/48? I mostly see "USAF Mk 7 seat" on the resin seats I come across. I believe early F-4B's had Mk 5's.

*Are there aftermarket seeker housings for under the radome?

Cheers, Stefan.

Cobra Company's MB Mk.5s are very nice, but don't have seat belts, in case that's an issue for you. True Details has some Mk. 5s with seat belts.

AirDoc's F-4C/D conversion for the Hasegawa F-4J had some chin fairings, but I think they might have been shaped wrong. Royale Resin has a new radome with chin fairing as part of his F-4B conversion for the Hasegawa J, but I don't know if he'll sell it separately from the set.

Ben

Thanks, Ben.

I had been thinking about the part from the Royale Resin conversion.

I haven't mailed Doug about it yet.

Another possiblity would be to buy the whole set and use the other parts to make a thin wing RF-4B.

Hi, Jennings.

It was the Royale Resin "F-4J to F-4B/N" set that got me thinking about using the Hasegawa F-4J to build an F-4C/D.

Cheers, Stefan.