1/32 Tamiya P-51D- Kicked up a notch

104,000+ views, I wouldn't worry about feedback... :worship:

Since the whole staining issue has become a dominant sub-topic here, I'll add my two cents.

I've had great luck using watercolor paints. The little kiddie type in the plastic tray. The beauty in using them is that they aren't permanent. You can remove or modify them at any point. They can be clear-coated making them permanent but unless you plan on someday washing your model (which I never do), you can leave them un-sealed. Add to that, they are very easy to work with and very forgiving.

In addition to streaking you can use them to just dirty up surfaces.

Here's a shot of my 1/48 D.520 using them:

D-520_a2.jpg

In-progress (including a little tutorial on pg. 2): http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=135357

Finished model: http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=137004

HTH

Looking great Chuck!

:cheers:

Hi Chuck,

and hi to all ARC-folks!

I'd like to add few lines to the ongoing discussion about feedback.

I must admit that I often follow avidly threads that I find interesting (like this one) but I don't add comments every time. The reason being that it's not particularly value adding to just say "awesome", or "incredible" or similar.

You see, compared to modellers like you Chuck, or Guy, or Timmy!, or so many other here on ARC that I could never find the time to list them all, I see myself as much less skilled and talented, so I'd hardly have something to add. On ARC there are amazing experts that are able to spot the smallest missed detail on a build, but I'm not one of them. So, my rule is to offer my appreciation, but it'd be annoying and empty if I did at every update. Or so I believe at least. On the other hand, on those occasions where I feel I have something to contribute with "for real", I gladly join in. Such as in this particular case.

But I can also add that when I am the owner of a thread, when I am posting updates on a build (I know, I know,...that has not happened in a long time...I am trying to get back, but I really isn't working at the moment...But that's another story.), I too get eager to know what people think of it. I recognize myself in Chuck's "counting views" and comparing it to the number of comments. I know exactly that feeling. You're proud of what you do; you almost impatiently add the update, with pictures and descriptions of your work, thoughts, techniques; you really can't wait to read what others think! But isn't that natural? I know that if there is a particular element I'm specially interested to know how it is perceived, I just pop the question.

Then, onto the build itself...

Chuck: I find it spectacular. But I fell I need to point out the following questions/remarks:

- the fuselage weathering and painting is to me...awesome. I really have no better words to say this. But how about the wings? What gets my attention is that it seems to me that there is a very big weathering difference between them and the fuselage. Are they still WIP or is it the pictures fooling me or is it your intention/interpretation?

- the salt weathering on the wings is very "harsh": do you plan to tone it down?

- the engine and support struts look almost a little to clean compared to the rest of the fuselage...

That being said, I think I must add a final comment, linked to my initial thoughts: scale modelling is in my opinion a form of art, where the artist tries to transfer his/her interpretation, perception and feeling of a subject into the model. So choosing to simulate a particular effect seen on a photo of the real deal with one technique or another is a way to give the model's soul a particular "flavour". Some may prefer heavier, more distinct rivets/panel lines, other would opt for a marked shading, some else would choose more delicate approaches. But they all are trying to express how they see the subject and what they find more pleasing. Who is wrong? Who is right? Is anyone wrong or right?

Talking about mathematical/statistical models (but the similarity with plastic scale modelling is significant...), George E.P. Box once said that "all models are wrong, but some are useful!" :thumbsup:

/Kristian

I appreciate you approach my comments with such class. Even if you may observe a decline in feedback, I know I learn quite a bit from your topics. As I said, these are particularly useful because in addition to your research, many experts chime in with resources and experiences, which makes for a much richer learning experience.

I look forward to the completion. Unfortunately, all I know about P-51s is coming through this build, so there is admittedly nothing I can add, except I greatly admire your craftsmanship.

Thank you sir! I hope the ending of this project is a very happy one.

To that end, I noticed your work with the oil staining. Weathering, especially fluid streaking, is something I've struggled with in the past. I think I'm finally reaching a point where I'm coming into my own with my methods. One thing I've found that works for me is using ink pens for these streaks. I've been using Pigma's Micron lines in black and brown. They take a while to dry so they're easy to push around with a damp earbud, brush, or tissue. Once they're dry they're pretty durable, so they're easy to build up. Not trying to hijack your thread, but I'm pretty happy with the results I've gotten on two of my Mustangs...

Cheers,

-O

Thanks O. I'll give those a try.

Since the whole staining issue has become a dominant sub-topic here, I'll add my two cents.

I've had great luck using watercolor paints. The little kiddie type in the plastic tray. The beauty in using them is that they aren't permanent. You can remove or modify them at any point. They can be clear-coated making them permanent but unless you plan on someday washing your model (which I never do), you can leave them un-sealed. Add to that, they are very easy to work with and very forgiving.

In addition to streaking you can use them to just dirty up surfaces.

I'll give those a try as well Chris. Thanks for the tip.

Chuck: I find it spectacular. But I fell I need to point out the following questions/remarks:

- the fuselage weathering and painting is to me...awesome. I really have no better words to say this. But how about the wings? What gets my attention is that it seems to me that there is a very big weathering difference between them and the fuselage. Are they still WIP or is it the pictures fooling me or is it your intention/interpretation?

- the salt weathering on the wings is very "harsh": do you plan to tone it down?

- the engine and support struts look almost a little to clean compared to the rest of the fuselage...

/Kristian

Hi Kristian. Thanks for that comments, which I'll answer as follows:

Wing weathering. As you might have noticed in a pic above, I left all weathering washes off the wings to downplay the panel line and rivet detail in contrast to the fuselage. The wings were puttied then painted aluminum in real life, so this detail was almost absent from the factory. With time and wear some of this detail started to show, which my build also tries to replicate, but it came out a bit too much and I don't want to draw any more attention to it than I have already. I also added more dull coat to the wings to give them a painted look vs. a bare metallic look like the rest of the aircraft. This was done on purpose, good or bad.

As far as the "harsh" salt weathering on the wings is concerned, John has also pointed this out earlier, so I intend to knock the contrast down with an over-spray of Alclad aluminum, the same color on the wings to begin with. The salt masking should still show, but much less so than they do currently.

Engine. As I mentioned earlier to Josh, I believe the strong overhead light I'm using is making the engine area look a lot cleaner than it really is. Having said that, since it has been brought up again, adding some more oil stain pastels is an easy fix I intend to also do. However, I don't think I'll get the engine area too dirty, because that will hide a ton of work I've done on tiny details within it. It's a fine line between looking accurate and looking good.

I have also fixed some of the oil staining issues mentioned earlier. The "swirl" is now gone and the oil leaks vertically at the correct angle. I've also added some staining to the engine cowling brace behind the stain, which would likely be quite oily when the cowlings were removed. I have just learned that dried artist acrylic paint is tough as nails using just water to remove it, but with a bit of Windex on a Q-tip, it can be removed and altered easily. Another tip!

Thanks guys for the comments and other great tips!

Nice Work so for...keep going!

ps...I had one of the first Tammy P-51 builds here...so far 4000+ views with 20 comments...build for yourself dude :)/>/>/>/>

(but thanks for all the tips along the way... have 2 more of them in the pile lol)

:cheers:/>/>/>

EDIT: Sorry if that was too frank. When it comes down to it this is a solitary hobby and

it's nice to have the global affirmation of 110k+ hits...but really, what does it mean? I stopped

for 30 years but I go back to just a jack-knife (no X-Acto) and tube-glue in the 70's. The

internet is nice and all but it's just a sideshow.

Edited by ThatJeffGuy

Thanks Chuk for your comments.

I know other had already wrote similar observations, but I wanted to give you mine as well. I wanted to take my time to give you - for once - a more detailed feedback than only a long list of thumbs up.

Anyway, I wish I could see this masterpiece in real life: I bet I would spend quite some time enjoying all the details you've been able to add...

/Kristian

Chuck,

I am one of those that knows absolutely Zilch about Mustangs, and really I read your posts not about the subject but your methods. So about 250 of those hits are mine when I scroll through your posts looking for links or methods of how you have overcome things. Usually it gives me ideas on which I expand on. Crossing modelling communities is very interesting as I have come across solutions from both Armour and Auto builders and some of your solutions have come from the other communities also.

This is what no Magazine can ever provide expertise from the Pros. I will be blunt when I say I have very little to contribute and I am a sponge when it comes to intake of information. We all are appreciative of your talent!

The end result is just pure Art.

Emil

***, I don't look at this thread for 2 days, and you guys fill close to 3 pages.... :P

The Stang looks incredible Chuck. When you first started talking about the oil stain, I looked for pictures myself, and found there's a great deal of variation in the size and even shape of the stains. I've seen pics with very subdued stains, stains that didn't grow with the panel line, and very harsh big stains. I didn't post my view on this, because I feel each modeller models things the way he likes them. Now, however, I can say I really like the sort of staine you went for. It adds to the plane, without becoming a total focal point. I really look forward to the final reveal of this stunning bird.

These threads are like advanced master modeller classes. Not that I'm at a point where I could apply any of your teachings yet :D .

Thanks a lot guys for all the support! It's ironic that I had to throw a temper tantrum like a 5 year old to get all these great tips, but now I have the following improvements as a result:

- Fixed oil stain- swirl and vertical drip position.

- Wing salt weathering toned down. I think it looks really good now, thanks to your input.

- Engine braces dirtied up. Again, you guys were right. They were too clean before.

- Silvered decal fixed- in an unusual way.

I'd show this progress, but right now I need to tag a long with SWMBO so that she'll let me model all day tomorrow without giving me the evil eye- or at least that's the plan! I'll post some more of my progress tomorrow, along with my new attitude, "kicked up a notch".

Thanks again.

Edited by chuck540z3

Thanks a lot guys for all the support! It's ironic that I had to throw a temper tantrum like a 5 year old to get all these great tips, but now I have the following improvements as a result:

- Fixed oil stain- swirl and vertical drip position.

- Wing salt weathering toned down. I think it looks really good now, thanks to your input.

- Engine braces dirtied up. Again, you guys were right. They were too clean before.

- Silvered decal fixed- in an unusual way.

I'd show this progress, but right now I need to tag a long with SWMBO so that she'll let me model all day tomorrow without giving me the evil eye- or at least that's the plan! I'll post some more of my progress tomorrow, along with my new attitude, "kicked up a notch".

Thanks again.

Hi Chuck,

I hold my hands-up and am guilty of avidly reading your posts (in fact it's the first thing I look for on the Internet on my morning commute on the train) yet have only commented once.

The reason largely being that as a modeller who has only just returned to the hobby after 20 years, I am usually reading your tips and studying the photos so intently that my journey is over before I can add any text confirming my admiration for your work. For the record - It is a fantastic demonstration of the skill sets required to make a world class model and an inspiration to those of us who need the motivation to get modelling again.

I think a few of us were surprised by the subject choice (following the F-18 and F-4E threads), but I am grateful for the knowledge acquired on the journey and as a jet fan am I now converted to props (or at least mustangs!).

Carry on the great work and although I am sure 95% of readers/viewers will be blown away by the final result, a few will disagree - That's what makes any form of art so interesting. At the end of the day, so long as you have enjoyed it and think it is great that's what counts! Please continue this thread and the next (an A-10???), I can assure 1000's are captivated by your work.

As an aside what do you do as a profession? You are obviously great with your hands.

Molardoc.

Chuck - i just want to thank you for the great tutorial on the NMF. I have a P-51 and P-47 that i want to do but was really unsure of how to get the decals on using conventional methods but still retain the metallic look.

And on an un-related note what does SWMBO stand for? I've seen it a few times, pretty much get the meaning but just can't figure out what the acronym stands for! Yes - I'm an idiot. I'll admit it.

Mike

Edited by Skinny_Mike

Chuck, that's some sweet progress! Must say I have a hard time keeping up with this build, your progress is very fast!

I like the differential weathering of wing vs fuselarge, research is everything in this hobby. Maybe the salt weathering is a little heavy on the wings... not sure though, you certainly know Mustangs a lot better than me... I think I read that you'll tone that down, pretty much like you did with your Phantom.

For my Flanker, I used Tamiya weathering kits... I know I know, seems way to straighforward for us modellers to use an intended-use product, but I really enjoy them, very easy to apply, nice colors and you can control them very well. Another tip is to apply streaks when the model is painted glossy, if you streak the model when flat, the weathering will tend to look a little grainy as the brush or weathering stick will highlight the "peaks" of the flat (rougher) surface.

Something else: What camera do you use to take pics? Your pics are really really good. I used to have a nice Canon (long out of production) but it broke about 1.5 years ago, so ever since the Flanker I have struggeld to take good pics. The little I am a spammer, please report this post. Coolpix I have is useless, which is why I still haven't taken final display pics of my Flanker. The last Typhoon update I did using the I am a spammer, please report this post. camera, which seems to take slightly better pics. I have considered inversting in a I am a spammer, please report this post. D-SLR.

Marcel

...And on an un-related note what does SWMBO stand for?...

Mike

Maybe you've not gotten to this stage of life yet. Or you have and will have a 'slaps forehead' moment after reading the next line:

She Who Must Be Obeyed. Also referred to as your 'better half', but only when she is within earshot of course ;)

Hey Chuck... Molardoc said it all... YOU are a world class model builder!!!!! Please don't stop doing WIP, it just wouldn't be the same around here!!!! I have nothing to offer as far as the P-51 build goes, except for the fact that it looks GREAT :thumbsup:/> I checked yer reference photos and I completely thought yer oil stain looked awesome.... as well as the rest of the weathering and paint. Opinions are like belly buttons.... everybody has one dry.gif

/Jesse

I think a few of us were surprised by the subject choice (following the F-18 and F-4E threads), but I am grateful for the knowledge acquired on the journey and as a jet fan am I now converted to props (or at least mustangs!).

As an aside what do you do as a profession? You are obviously great with your hands.

Molardoc.

Thanks you EVERYONE for your words of support to keep going with my WIP threads. Apparently they aren't a waste of time after all! :rolleyes:

My brief bio, which explains maybe a part of why I model aircraft.

I am 58 years old (yes, well over the other side of the hill) and 50 years ago I lived very near a Canadian Air Force runway called Lincoln field in Calgary, where I still live. We didn't have much money in those days, so my parents rented out the basement to mostly air force personnel, who were always pilots. In those days the rules for flying over cities were fairly lax, so the pilots we lived with would often fly right over the house, waving their wings up and down as they passed to show off a bit. These were often CT-133 silver Stars (I think), so when they passed over ahead, you could feel the engine shake your small body as a kid. I was HOOKED! Meanwhile, my father and his 4 brothers had all served in WW-II for the RCAF, with one uncle as a Bomb-aimer on Lancasters, another a pilot on Liberators and the remaining brothers were ground crew, with my Dad an airframe mechanic on Spitfires in Belgium. Everyone survived the war- which is amazing, so I was always surrounded with air force relatives who were still very interested in aircraft, especially military ones.

One thing I do remember very well when we lived at that address was a P-51D Mustang that often flew near the house from this same air base. The P-51D was retired from the RCAF, but a local rich lawyer in town managed to buy one for his personal use and he, too, loved to show off. The sound of that Merlin engine is unforgettable, hence the current build.

This isn't my first prop build since I really started in this hobby about 5 1/2 years ago. For my uncle who was the Lanc bomb-aimer, I made him this 1/48 Tamiya MKI, complete with serial number and nose art from his "kite" as they used to call them. ARC submission is here:

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal11/10101-10200/gal10171-Lancaster-Sawyer/00.shtm

My uncle enjoyed this model immensely and he was always showing it off to anybody who would look or listen to him talk about it. He died about 18 months after its completion, so I feel very grateful that I was able to make a small part of his life a bit happier towards the end of his long life. He was a great guy.

As for where I wound up, I've worked in the oil business as a Geophysicist for 34 years and I currently run a tiny oil and gas company. Risking millions of dollars to drill a single well takes courage, luck (lots!) and a bit of skill, because they don't always work out and a few "dry holes" can bankrupt you pretty quickly. To take my mind off the latest well result, I have found that modeling takes me far, far away to maybe that time when I was a kid listening to a jet or Merlin engine over my house without a care in the world. Maybe that's also why I also like to take risks with my modeling projects. "No Guts, No Glory", we say in the oil biz, so I try to apply this motto now and then when I think the potential reward will far exceed the potential to crash and burn.

Now some more risks!

As mentioned by a few of you, the blotchy weathering of the salt masking was a bit too harsh. to fix this, I used MORE SALT! This time I just made the blotches smaller by specifically placing salt crystals within each large dark spot to reduce it's size, then I over-sprayed everything slightly to knock down the contrasts between paint colors....

Salt12-1.jpg

One other thing mentioned by someone, is that the blue of the insignia is too blue. I agree, under the intense overhead light that I use for my photography, but in real life the blue isn't so intense. To show this, I took a few pics of how things really look under filtered sunlight. The whitebalance is off a bit, but you can get a bvetter idea of what I see vs. what you see on your computer screen.

The wing area, showing the blended salt weathering- and a few boot marks getting the wing dirty and crumpling the metal slightly....

Sunlight1.jpg

The insignia is blue alright, but it doesn't jump out at you....

Sunlight2.jpg

Sunlight3.jpg

Wings look better now. I want them to look like painted aluminum and not bare metal...

Sunlight4.jpg

Sunlight5.jpg

When taking these pics, I discovered a decal flaw. I was very careful to cut as much decal film off every decal, but for some reason I left some on the top and upper right of this "D". :bandhead2: It isn't technically silvered, but it looks like it could be due to the weathering washes avoiding the stuck decal film and I didn't like that light spot above the red lettering within the "D", which looks like it could be silvered....

Decalflaw1.jpg

Soooo, rather than try and cut it off and make a big mess, I just painted it, using the same Post-It notes I used on the white star....

Decalflaw2.jpg

All better now!, including that light spot above the red lettering...

Decalflaw3.jpg

Edited by chuck540z3

So this is where this bird stands today, thanks to all of your suggestions.

Oil stain swirl removed and arced down, while the vertical staining under the vent goes down at the right angle. Exhaust staining, which is fairly subtle, follows roughly the same ARC and joins the oil stain at the rear of the wing. Yes, many if most of these stains are more subdued, but I kind of like this messy one...

Almostdone1.jpg

Almostdone2.jpg

Other side...

Almostdone6.jpg

Wings look more natural now....

Almostdone3.jpg

Almostdone5.jpg

Amongst other things, I've added the Barracuda canopy rails to the cockpit sills. This one is accurate for the starboard side. Note the angle of the diagonal slots within it, going from the top slanting downward to the back....

Almostdone4.jpg

Unfortunately, the port side is identical to the starboard side. I suppose I could just flip it over, but that rivet detail is lost on the bottom, which has none, so I went with detail over accuracy....

Almostdone8.jpg

Another shot of the wing area. When I was researching the gun area, I found many, many pics of ground crew standing all around the gun bay as they loaded shells and maintained the guns. This area got quite dirty, hence the staining...

Almostdone9.jpg

I can't get enough of this angle...

Almostdone7.jpg

I also dirtied up the engine area a bit more. How did I do on that oil tank? Too much? It's an easy fix to back it off....

Almostdone10.jpg

Edited by chuck540z3

Although I'm close to completion, I still have some very important bits to add. Stay tuned- and if you have any critiques or suggestions (that I can still fix that is!), bring it!

Almostdone11.jpg

Edited by chuck540z3

Something else: What camera do you use to take pics? Your pics are really really good. I used to have a nice Canon (long out of production) but it broke about 1.5 years ago, so ever since the Flanker I have struggled to take good pics. The little N_I_K_O_N, please report this post. Coolpix I have is useless, which is why I still haven't taken final display pics of my Flanker. The last Typhoon update I did using the N_I_K_O_N camera, which seems to take slightly better pics. I have considered investing in a N_I_K_O_N D-SLR.

Marcel

Hi Marcel. Apparently N_I_K_O_N is a swear word of some kind, because Steve has set the controls to consider any mention of it Spam!

I use a N_I_K_O_N D7000, which is a middle of the road D-SLR and, like all computers, will be obsolete junk in about 5-7 years. The key to good pics is the lens and for most of my macro photography, I use the N_I_K_O_N Micro 1:2.8. The camera my be toast one day, but all my lenses won't, because a N_I_K_O_N lens from 20 years ago will still fit my camera. It might not talk to the software mind you, but you can always adjust it manually if needed. Good lens, tripod, high f-stop and long exposures are the trick to get decent depth of field in close-up photography. I also play with the pics after I've taken them to increase contrast and sharpen them if required. I also take a specific white balance measurement that works with my current lighting to keep colors looking natural.

And for of you who think I'm pushing N_I_K_O_N, C-A-N-O-N is just as good or better!

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

Hi,

Thanks for the biog - Not what I was expecting. It is interesting to have an insight into a modeller's motivation to replicate their chosen subjects.

The new weathering mods have made a great improvement IMO - Roll onto completion!

Molardoc.

Thanks you EVERYONE for your words of support to keep going with my WIP threads. Apparently they aren't a waste of time after all! :rolleyes:/>

My brief bio, which explains maybe a part of why I model aircraft.

I am 58 years old (yes, well over the other side of the hill) and 50 years ago I lived very near a Canadian Air Force runway called Lincoln field in Calgary, where I still live. We didn't have much money in those days, so my parents rented out the basement to mostly air force personnel, who were always pilots. In those days the rules for flying over cities were fairly lax, so the pilots we lived with would often fly right over the house, waving their wings up and down as they passed to show off a bit. These were often CT-133 silver Stars (I think), so when they passed over ahead, you could feel the engine shake your small body as a kid. I was HOOKED! Meanwhile, my father and his 4 brothers had all served in WW-II for the RCAF, with one uncle as a Bomb-aimer on Lancasters, another a pilot on Liberators and the remaining brothers were ground crew, with my Dad an airframe mechanic on Spitfires in Belgium. Everyone survived the war- which is amazing, so I was always surrounded with air force relatives who were still very interested in aircraft, especially military ones.

One thing I do remember very well when we lived at that address was a P-51D Mustang that often flew near the house from this same air base. The P-51D was retired from the RCAF, but a local rich lawyer in town managed to buy one for his personal use and he, too, loved to show off. The sound of that Merlin engine is unforgettable, hence the current build.

This isn't my first prop build since I really started in this hobby about 5 1/2 years ago. For my uncle who was the Lanc bomb-aimer, I made him this 1/48 Tamiya MKI, complete with serial number and nose art from his "kite" as they used to call them. ARC submission is here:

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal11/10101-10200/gal10171-Lancaster-Sawyer/00.shtm

My uncle enjoyed this model immensely and he was always showing it off to anybody who would look or listen to him talk about it. He died about 18 months after its completion, so I feel very grateful that I was able to make a small part of his life a bit happier towards the end of his long life. He was a great guy.

As for where I wound up, I've worked in the oil business as a Geophysicist for 34 years and I currently run a tiny oil and gas company. Risking millions of dollars to drill a single well takes courage and skill, because they don't always work out and a few "dry holes" can bankrupt you pretty quickly. To take my mind off the latest well result, I have found that modeling takes me far, far away to maybe that time when I was a kid listening to a jet or Merlin engine over my house without a care in the world. Maybe that's also why I also like to take risks with my modeling projects. "No Guts, No Glory", we say in the oil biz, so I try to apply this motto now and then when I think the potential reward will far exceed the potential to crash and burn.

Now some more risks!

As mentioned by a few of you, the blotchy weathering of the salt masking was a bit too harsh. to fix this, I used MORE SALT! This time I just made the blotches smaller by specifically placing salt crystals within each large dark spot to reduce it's size, then I over-sprayed everything slightly to knock down the contrasts between paint colors....

Salt12-1.jpg

One other thing mentioned by someone, is that the blue of the insignia is too blue. I agree, under the intense overhead light that I use for my photography, but in real life the blue isn't so intense. To show this, I took a few pics of how things really look under filtered sunlight. The whitebalance is off a bit, but you can get a bvetter idea of what I see vs. what you see on your computer screen.

The wing area, showing the blended salt weathering- and a few boot marks getting the wing dirty and crumpling the metal slightly....

Sunlight1.jpg

The insignia is blue alright, but it doesn't jump out at you....

Sunlight2.jpg

Sunlight3.jpg

Wings look better now. I want them to look like painted aluminum and not bare metal...

Sunlight4.jpg

Sunlight5.jpg

When taking these pics, I discovered a decal flaw. I was very careful to cut as much decal film off every decal, but for some reason I left some on the top and upper right of this "D". :bandhead2:/> It isn't technically silvered, but it looks like it could be due to the weathering washes avoiding the stuck decal film and I didn't like that light spot above the red lettering within the "D", which looks like it could be silvered....

Decalflaw1.jpg

Soooo, rather than try and cut it off and make a big mess, I just painted it, using the same Post-It notes I used on the white star....

Decalflaw2.jpg

All better now!, including that light spot above the red lettering...

Decalflaw3.jpg

Apparently N_I_K_O_N is a swear word of some kind, because Steve has set the controls to consider any mention of it Spam!

Guess Steve is a Canon guy :whistle:/>

Fantastic build.

I been following this and your previous ones. A lot to learn here. Please keep them coming :salute:/>