1/32 Tamiya P-51D- Kicked up a notch

OK, I couldn't wait until tomorrow because I want this project DONE!!I'm too tired to explain anything, so I'll let the pictures do the talking. I did, however, add a nifty little bead sight out of a #80 drill bit to the front of the windscreen, since that was the only rod I could think of that was thin enough and strong enough. I installed this sight as per some pics that Christian sent me (thanks Christian!) and the really cool thing is, it lines up perfectly with the rear sight in the cockpit!

One other addition to my modeling arsenal is a new camera. Although my N_I_K_O_N D7000 is great, the D600 I just bought has a full image sensor and 24 MP of coverage. I really don't need to do close-ups that much any more, because with this camera, all I need to do is crop the image and it's still very sharp. I think you'll like the new images which are a lot clearer- and no I didn't photo-shop anything, other than to adjust lighting and sharpness.

Anyway, here's the pics in totally random order. If you've got any questions, please fire away and I'll try to answer them soon....

All-1.jpg

All-2.jpg

All-3.jpg

All-5.jpg

All-6.jpg

All-7.jpg

All-8.jpg

All-9.jpg

All-10.jpg

All-11.jpg

Edited by chuck540z3

She's a beauty Chuck. Congratulations on finishing this extreme project. There are so many neat touches. I love the rear view mirror. The red paint and chipping make that tiny detail such a gem. You might need to glue the ailerons in place though, those last couple of shots show them both drooped :whistle:

I know this has been a challenge at times and I'm sure you're glad to be on to your next project but I have a few thoughts on one or two things. Since this model is now complete I won't share them here but let me know if you'd like a little feedback buddy. :)

Thanks for taking the time to share your build. Although I have n't necessarily posted every time you have, I have always tuned in to your updates and enjoyed viewing the progress.

I'm now looking forward to seing a Thunderbolt II "Kicked up a notch".

Cheers,

:cheers:

Edit: Completely forgot how to spell aileron. :doh:

Edited by geedubelyer

Chuck,

PHENOMENAL.....

IMPECCABLE....

IMMACULATE..... :clap2:

.....This is is MY ALL TIME FAVORITE MUSTANG build ever.

I adore Mustangs and your build has been an EXTRAORDINARY journey to follow. :wub: :wub: :wub:

The detailing is quite EXCEPTIONAL....MOST EXEMPLARY workmanship.

Your tenacity for detail and hard work has been shown off on this truly ASTOUNDING build.

It's a work of art. :yahoo: I would not find anything Wrong with it but that's ME.LOVE IT!! :coolio:

I know who to call upon to commission a build now :whistle::punk:

All the trials and tribulations were worth it in the end. Just PERFECTION. :smiley-whacky084:

HOLMESY.

Chuck, lots of great detail from nose to tail. Looks like the wing puttying came out just as intended. I cannot tell from the photos if the exhaust stacks are ‘burnt’. As you say lighting etc influences what we see in the photos.

It may have been already discussed in your build. Just wondering what the significance of the Thunder Bird emblem is on the nose. Shape is very similar to something I can’t quite put my finger on :D/>

Nice one :cheers:/>

John

What a beauty!

A stunning Mustang! Congrats Chuck, you definitely deserve a big :thumbsup:

She turned out really really good.

It's amazing how perfectly those engine cowlings fit. That's great because I'd have a hard time choosing whether to keep them on or off. On one side you want to show the awesome work you did on the engine, but on the other the Mustang's got such nice elegant lines...

I truly enjoyed following your build. Thank you Chuck for sharing it with us on ARC!

/Kristian

You might need to glue the ailerons in place though, those last couple of shots show them both drooped :whistle:/>/>/>/>

I know this has been a challenge at times and I'm sure you're glad to be on to your next project but I have a few thoughts on one or two things. Since this model is now complete I won't share them here but let me know if you'd like a little feedback buddy.

YES! Please send them over. So far your critiques have been batting 100% for being correct, so I love to hear how I can do better next time. Those ailerons are one of them, because every time I moved the model, they dropped back down. I really should glue them, because I've never seen them droop on the ground on the real deal. I also forgot to dirty up a few of the last minute details, like the "No Step" decal on the cockpit sill and the green handle in the gun bay.

Thank you everyone for your kind words and support. I really appreciate it! I know my execution of certain weathering techniques isn't for everyone, but as modelers we should do what WE like, rather than what others prefer as the norm. I'll build another one of these babies one day, but next time I'll do a restored warbird, so that I can make it almost perfect with minimal weathering and I won't have to worry about what is "accurate" for a particular time period. The wings will gleam in shiny metal and I won't try to cover all those fantastic rivets and panel line detail. This should reduce the time to build enormously, because it's the weathering that takes all the time to do. Can you imagine a clean cockpit with no beat up wood floor? Either can I, but I bet a contest judge would like it. It will be interesting to see how they judge this bird, because I'm entering it in the Western Canada Regional Model Contest in June. I just hope Wolf Buddee doesn't bring his Spitfire to the same event or I'm toast! That Spitfire is pure modeling heaven, so I'm kind of torn, because I'd love to see it with my own eyes.

I'll post the completed pics in the Display Case soon with maybe a few more. Meanwhile, I'll be submitting it to FSM magazine again and we'll see what happens.

Later today, I'll post a few more pics that you might find interesting. I just love this new camera, so thanks for indulging me!

YES! Please send them over.

Thanks Chuck. I'll drop you a quick PM

but next time I'll do a restored warbird, so that I can make it almost perfect with minimal weathering and I won't have to worry about what is "accurate" for a particular time period. The wings will gleam in shiny metal and I won't try to cover all those fantastic rivets and panel line detail. This should reduce the time to build enormously, because it's the weathering that takes all the time to do. Can you imagine a clean cockpit with no beat up wood floor?

I like the sound of that. Imagine building it with the light grey cockpit equipped with modern instrumentation often used in restored birds. That would be very cool not to mention unique.
I'm entering it in the Western Canada Regional Model Contest in June. I just hope Wolf Buddee doesn't bring his Spitfire to the same event or I'm toast! That Spitfire is pure modeling heaven, so I'm kind of torn, because I'd love to see it with my own eyes.
I think Wolf's building a WNW bird just now so his Spitfire is on hold at the moment. Unless he picks up the reins on that one again before June you should have the stage all to yourself. I'd also like to see that Spitfire one with my own eyes.

Cheers.

Chuck, congrats on finishing this build, it's really another benchmark in-progress feature. Nice job on that external tank plumbing, never noticed that before. Scale ignition wire, who would have thought...

So you've moved to a D600? Must say I thought your old shots were great also, but the ones you just posted are indeed extraordinarily crisp and clear. Like I said I think I'll go baby steps and get a D3200, the 600 intimidates me a little.

Marcel

A great conclusion to a terrific build!

That is one good looking Mustang.

Thank you Chuck for taking the time to share so many of your techniques with us.

This thread has been bookmarked.

:thumbsup:/> :thumbsup:/> :thumbsup:/>

Thank you everyone for your gracious comments. I was having some issues with my new camera last night, so I've re-taken all the pics once more. I will be posted all new pics in the Display Case soon.

Edited by chuck540z3

Really nice work on the Mustang, the weathering is great, subtle enough but makes it stand out! Congrats on finishing it...I know the paint probably isn't fully dry yet, but what are your thoughts for your next build?

First, I need a modeling sabbatical for a few weeks, then KUAN #4!

A-10Start.jpg

Edited by chuck540z3