1/32 Tamiya P-51D- Kicked up a notch

Thanks again guys for the very kind words. As I mention in my opening post (edited), if you're using this thread as a guide to build your own 1/32 Tamiya Mustang, make sure you scan through the entire build before you commit to anything. For example, I made a few mistakes with engine and landing gear wiring/plumbing that I fixed later, so you might want to see the final version and ignore the old one. I left everything in this thread as is, because that's how everything unfolded.

A couple more comments since I finished this model back in March. I've noticed that the rear landing gear strut is now sagging slightly which makes the rear wheel a bit crooked. If I did this model again, I'd make sure I threw a steel pin or something within the strut to strengthen it.

Also, my attempts to create a "realistic partially puttied" wing surface has caused some grief with fellow modelers who have seen this Mustang first hand. If I could do that step over again, I would just leave all the rivet and panel line detail as is, which is what 90% of the builds of this kit do. It was a shame to hide all that fine detail and most people don't know about the puttied wings anyway- and I'm sick of trying to explain and justify what I did. To each their own.

I also wouldn't have spent so much time and effort using Eduard PE for the radiator and oil cooler in the bottom intake if I'd known how hard it is to see inside once completed, even with a flashlight. Same goes for the interior of the rear wheel assembly. It makes me feel good that I know it's in there somewhere, but NOBODY will ever notice! I do notice, however, the front landing gear detail all the time with the aircraft tilted backwards, so that effort was well worth it.

For those maybe new to this thread who just want to see final pics, I have them in a PhotoBucket Album here (along with other builds and crap posted before):

Final Pics

In-Progress pics, which are scattered throughout this thread, can be found here:

In-Progress Pics

Cheers,

Chuck Sawyer

Edited by chuck540z3
  • 1 year later...